Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

In-wall speakers for home theatre?

Old 01-31-2012, 01:10 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,063 Likes on 1,175 Posts
Default In-wall speakers for home theatre?

I'm putting together a home theater with a 120" or larger screen. I like the idea of "hiding" the speakers behind the screen, but I've never really looked into using in-walls for a dedicated theatre room.

I'll be starting with a 100% empty room, just 2x4 walls so we can do anything.

Would you go this route or stick with a good set of satellites and a matching sub?

Budget for this system is looking like $5k for the speakers, sub, projector, and screen.

What kind of specifications do you look for when buying a screen with the intention of the sound traveling through it? Or is this just a horrible idea?

I'm even toying with the idea of building a custom sub enclosure in the walls too.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:28 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Different forum so you get an enzo pass x3:

https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-an...eakers-1k.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...-speakers.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...-speakers.html
Old 01-31-2012, 10:06 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

If you plan on speakers actually behind the screen, make sure you let the supplier know that, they do sell the screens designed for that. A regular screen will not work. As for speakers, there are many choices. The limitation you will have is with speaker placement for any dedicated 2 channel listening (if you plan on that). Small changes like distance from wall, corners, etc come into play with many speakers. If it's just HT you plan on, just research the individual speaker manufacturers recommendations for placement and in-walls should work fine when basic measurements are followed.

Having in-walls will save you space in the room, important if it's on the smaller end size wise. Depending on how much space you will have behind the listening positions, on walls may be better for the rears. You going 5.1 or 7? You will then need to consider the side speakers and placement.

How big is the room? 5K might not get everything you need if you need to fill a large room with sound. A decent receiver with sufficient power will run about 1.5 to 2K or so, a good projector about 2K not including screen, doesn't leave much for the rest like speakers, wiring and interconnects, etc. You can probably get less expensive gear, but you would probably not be happy if you want a true theater type experiance. At a minimum, don't skimp on the sound.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:36 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

An AT screen can be a great buy. I got mine from Seymour AV and it was great bang for the buck. They actually make it out of high-end window blind material. Plump for the 15 degree offset to mitigate the "screen door effect."

The sound passthrough is usually no issue with suitable speakers. The issue you may get is reflections from the PJ through the screen, which can be mitigated with a loose weave black fabric backing.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:26 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

A. None of those discuss "behind the screen" placement which is my biggest concern
B. Newest thread in that list is 2010, grossly outdated in the A/V world

Originally Posted by Tonydec
The limitation you will have is with speaker placement for any dedicated 2 channel listening (if you plan on that).
Nope, this will be a dedicated theater room with elevated seating.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:57 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use in walls with dedicated floor subs (3).

In walls will work, get the largest you can fit and install tweeter height at approx 44-48 inchs. best to do build outs for the front speakers of say 12 inchs wide and as far out as cosmetically feasible , this will help imaging and lower the soundboard (beaming) effect ..(please add damping material)

Match all 5 or 7 speakers ( same size) place subs L/M/R ..Henjoy !!!

Old 02-01-2012, 08:55 AM
MDeBoard
Track Day

A good 120" perforated screen screen sells for around $1000.00. An Epson 8350 projector sells for about $1200.00. Figure about $140.00 for a Chief RPA mount for the projector. NHT IW4 in-wall speakers are about $400.00 each. Figure about $300.00 for a pair of rears. An NHT B12D sub is about $700.00. This system will look and sound great. You didn't mention anything about a receiver, so I didn't recommend one.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:14 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MDeBoard
A good 120" perforated screen screen sells for around $1000.00. An Epson 8350 projector sells for about $1200.00.
For some reason I was expecting that combo to cost a bit more. Excellent.

I plan on using the Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS I already have for this room.

My Onkyo M-504 will be reacquainted with its 2-channel pre-amp for my other sound room.

I really want to find a pair of B&W Matrix 800 towers....problem is that will open up a can of worms for more amps and other equipment so I might settle for a set of Carver AL-III's.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:57 AM
MDeBoard
Track Day

Will the system be used for two channel music as well as movies?
Old 02-03-2012, 10:51 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

www.visualapex.com has some nice $30K projectors ... after all, you have to spend at least 10x on the equipment as you do on the cables.

besides, you should probably consider a 2x6 or 2x8 wall ... you can't get proper audiophile cables up inside a 2x4 wall

And on a slightly more serious note, I would consider the in floor subs and in wall satellites as suggested by Sir A.Wayne.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:53 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

i would not do in-wall main and central speakers.
for all the rest, eihter it is new 9.1 or 7.1 it is probably not as critical as long as they will be in generally same tonality - means similar brands as even best audyssey processor will not be able to make Bose sound like b&w.

I may be subjective but i would go with B&W in-walls for all surrounds and left centerpiece and front from 800 diamond series. i my opinion all in-walls speakers with no proper case suck and you cannot fix distortions from sheetrock walls. plus, how deep are you walls? in new construction houses there is not so much space there to begin with.
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake.../Overview.html

here is link to cheap ones - Klipsch R-5650-S is so-so, but it is not as clear as B&W. anyway, take a look to compare prices.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NhAQhSA...-Speakers.html

also i would not buy a projector yet until technology will figure out what way 3D will go. it is much simpler part to do than sound anyway plus if TVs will get bigger and bigger every year and they are already at 6ft diagonal it kinda defeats the purpose of an expensive projector.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:04 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MDeBoard
Will the system be used for two channel music as well as movies?
No, just movies. Another room for music.

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i would not do in-wall main and central speakers.
Why? The walls are 100% bare (just wood studs). Either I use in-walls, make shelves to hold the speakers recessed into the walls, or have the speakers hanging out in front of the wall.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:38 PM
MDeBoard
Track Day

I wouldn't hesitate to use in wall speakers for movies and TV. I have Vandersteen 5a's for music and far lesser speakers for my theater. You're looking for dialogue intelligibility, Bass impact, good dynamics, and reasonably good tonal balance. That can be done for a very reasonable price.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:09 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

I plan on building custom sub boxes into the walls using two PPI Comp subs I already have. I've always liked the way they look and they will be exposed and finished flush with the wall.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Arnie1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to AVS Forum they have everything you want to know about home theater including in wall speakers and the best perforated screens.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In-wall speakers for home theatre?