Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

HDMI interface for legacy HD TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 07:53 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default HDMI interface for legacy HD TV

I have a Mitsubishi Diamondvision HD projection TV that supports 1080i HDTV but predates HDMI. My challenge has been the TV's single HD input and my multiple HD sources (e.g. Cable and Blu-ray).

I just installed an HDfury 3 HDMI to VGA/YPrPb converter (no affiliation). The device "looks" like a HDCP-compatible HDMI display to a source, but converts the signal to analog, in my case 1080i YPrPb. The HDfury does not upconvert or downconvert, but passes through 1080i from my sources.

This seems to be the solution for this TV. I have not AB'd the HDMI and component connections, but the picture over HDMI seems acceptable.

Apparently the HDfury's HDCP works, so I will get upconverted content from my Blu-ray player. Also, if at some point manufacturers stop supporting 1080i over component video I will be OK.

I can now have all my sources operate with HDMI out. This eliminates a lot of fat cables. The HDfury supports two HDMI inputs with autosensing; however, if I need to I can also now go to an HDMI switch -- I tried three different component video switches and they were totally unsatisfactory.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you considered using a small AV receiver to act as your switch?

BTW, the HDFury is a nice product. I have an 11 year old Pioneer Elite RPTV that I have kept running for years. I can't get myself to finally let it go; however the wife and kids would really like to see it go and replaced wtih a 70" Elite LCD

Quick Reply: HDMI interface for legacy HD TV