Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Looking for feedback on 2011 SHARP LED/LCD 52 inch tv

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:06 PM
SpeedGT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for feedback on 2011 SHARP LED/LCD 52 inch tv

I only have space that will allow a 48 inch width TV.
Two of the largest in that size are made by SHARP and SAMSUNG.

Any thoughts?
My room is brights...so I am leading toward the SHARP since LED's do better than PLASMA's.....

Experts please advise........................

Sharp's model LC52LE835 (new in 2011)

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/Home...C52LE835U.aspx

With the introduction of the LE835 Series 3DTV, Sharp once again reinforces its leadership in LCD and LED technology. Sharp’s proprietary Quattron™ System produces the brightest 3DTV images with reduced "crosstalk blurs" and Spacious 3D Sound to complete the 3D experience. Additionally, the proprietary AQUOS LED system comprised of the X-Gen LCD panel and UltraBrilliant LED, with a newly enhanced Active Contrast algorithm, enables an incredible dynamic contrast ratio of 8,000,000:1 for excellent picture quality.

This fully featured series also incorporates the Sharp proprietary AquoMotion 240 feature, which virtually eliminates perceptible blur and motion artifacts in fast moving video. The LE835 Series includes Netflix1,Vudu™ and CinemaNow streaming video capability, along with the industry’s leading online support system, AQUOS Advantagesm Live. And, with built-in Wi-Fi, connectivity is easier than ever. A built-in media player allows for playback of video, music, and photos via the USB port.

Features
AQUOS Quattron 3DTV - with technology that produces a brighter 3D experience, with reduced crosstalk blurs.
Optional 3D Glasses - with unique 3D-2D mode conversion button.2
Full HD 1080p X-Gen LCD Panel - with 10-bit processing is designed with advanced pixel control to minimize light leakage and wider aperture to let more light through.
AquoMotion 240 - virtually eliminates blur and artifacts on fast-motion picture quality.
Frame Rate Enhanced Driving - uses single-source wiring to achieve unprecedented 3DTV brightness with a 240Hz driving circuit.
Spacious 3D Sound - creates theater-like audio for a true 3D experience.
Quad Pixel Plus - enables the processing of images with higher resolution and less jags in diagonal lines.
Vyper Drive - game mode eliminates perceptible lag between game consoles and the TV display.
Connected TV Services - delivers Netflix, CinemaNow and Vudu™ streaming video, customized Internet content and live customer support via built-in Wi-Fi. (Netflix membership required for Netflix instant streaming. Membership and/or additional fees may apply.)
IP Control - feature enables a PC or control device to control basic TV functions via the Ethernet terminal.
Dual USB Inputs - enable viewing high-resolution video, music and digital photos on the TV.

SAMSUNG's 2011 Model PS51D8000

Most plasma 3D TVs have left us with generally positive impressions and the upcoming Samsung D8000-series panels will try to stay ahead of the competition with a host of new propositions. These include a streamlined styling, the latest Smart TV function and improved 3D capabilities, which will be discussed in detail in this preview. The screen sizes for these 3D displays start from 51 inches to 64 inches.

Upside: This year, Samsung has introduced its latest Plasma+1 design, which offers an extra inch of viewable screen without increasing the D8000's overall bulk. For the PS51D8000, users get a 51-inch panel with a slim brushed-aluminum TV bezel comparable with the width and height of most typical 50-inchers. Further complementing the aesthetics is a more compact quad-legged swivel stand in matching chrome finish. But more importantly, the PS51D8000 can supposedly output visuals with an amazing 20 million:1 dynamic contrast.

Besides promising improved 3D performance, Samsung is upgrading all its active shutter 3D glasses with Bluetooth connectivity to enhance reliability. It'll also launch a premium pair weighing merely 27.2g with wireless charging and prescription lenses compatibility. Another key addition is Smart TV, which enables content search across different services and platforms, plus Web browsing with full Flash and JavaScript support. A new Smart Hub user interface ensures easy access to these features and apps, such as Skype.

The PS51D8000's onboard Wi-Fi and one-foot connection capability also simplify wireless configurations. This can be easily achieved by placing the panel within one foot from a compatible Samsung router.

Downside: Samsung has most grounds covered with the D8000-series judging from preliminary information released by the company. Still, we can't help but question the capability of its localized Smart TV function, which probably comes without video-on-demand and online video services for full-length movies and serials. This will have an impact on searchable content, and may be limited to free sites such as YouTube. Having said that, the good news is Samsung has been in talks with some regional broadcasters to beef up this area.

Outlook: With a staggering 20 million:1 dynamic contrast performance, the Samsung D8000-series 3D TV is going to be a strong competitor to Panasonic's upcoming 2011 offerings. The new Smart TV capability, wireless charging and other interesting niceties are just icings on the cake to further sweeten the deal.
... Expand full review Hide Review

Reviewed by:

Philip Wong
Reviewed on:
March 23, 2011
Old 05-20-2011, 10:20 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

With TV's you ask 100 people you will get 100 different opinions.

I have not seen the Samsung but have viewed the Sharp. For starters I am not a huge fan of LCD TV's LED or not. I prefer plasma for many reasons.

No matter what TV type you buy you will need to control the lighting. LCD's are not that much better at dealing with wash created by excessive background lighting over plasmas as many would have you believe. Many of the newer plasmas have a film applied fro controlling glare which makes them very similar.

Plasma IMO is far superior to even the highest refresh rate LCD's regarding clarity with fast moving scenes. Most all the TV's today look decent with still framed pictures once motion is added it becomes quite apparent that Plasma is superior. Although most would never pick up on it unless they have the 2 side by side to compare.

I find the blacks are blacker on plasmas which is critical and I also find the picture is more realistic looking with better depth of field over most LED/LCD. Although the best TV I have seen to date was a Sharp LED/LCD early generation, but cost over $18k on sale at the time before being discontinued.

Plasma also offers a far wider viewing range than LCD's. Sharp is one of the better at dealing with this but the problem with the sharp is that you don't loose clarity after 110 degrees like many LCD's but color fades quickly at viewing angles beyond this. Plasma will give you a full 170 degrees of clarity color and viewing.

Down sides of plasma on average 3 times the consumption of power so a 55" will run roughly 300 watts and give off heat LCD will use 110+ watts depending on model and give off relatively no heat they are also far thinner and lighter. It is not much of a deal and you will not heat your room which is BS. Your old CRT give off far more heat and use much more power.

If you are buying either for 3D check them out thoroughly. I have watched the Sharp 3D which is supposed to be one of the top TV's and IMO a total waste of time and money. Even with the best 3D blu ray player it wasn't much of an experience over a standard 2D and I can't stand the glasses and your off axis viewing is diminished even more. Movies in 3D are pricy and picture quality is dependent on the player.

Not sure if any of this helps but as I said my money will always go to plasma assuming they are still made.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:53 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I sell these in my store, including the 52". I have to admit that up until now I prefered the Plasma, especially a good one. These new Sharp LED's really are the best I have seen. I'm fussy and hate selling TV sets for a number of reasons, but I would change my Marantz plasma for one of the new LED's in a heart beat. Like Anthony says you do need to watch the lighting in the room but for most people it's not an issue.
In the middle of the day you might get reflection, like the Plasma, but at night time you get the rewards. And that's when most people use it the most anyway.
All the technical jargon might help you decide but the proofs in the pudding.
I see no refresh rate issues with Sharps new sets either. What I do see is a very natural looking image. The best yet for that technology anyway. It's still not as natural as a Plasma when it comes down to it, but these LED's leave LCD technology in the dust.
This is all just my opinion of course.
Cheers

Quick Reply: Looking for feedback on 2011 SHARP LED/LCD 52 inch tv