Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Why so little 7.1 content released on BD discs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:18 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,168 Posts
Default Why so little 7.1 content released on BD discs?

So I ask why are 95% of all new releases only offered with 5.1 vs 7.1 soundtracks. There is enough room on the discs for 7.1 but very few offer it. I wasted money on the movie the Expendables just because it was one of the few I have come across released in 7.1. Movie was mediocre but the sound superior.

My system will convert 5.1 to 5.1 EX using the added information in the surround track as the rears however it is a compromise at best and IMO detracts from straight 5.1. The depth of sound of the planes flying over your shoulder, gunfire and explosions are superior in 7.1 and really use the system to give you a true theater experience yet so few movies are released this way even though the theater presented them in 7.1.

Any ideas? Should we expect more movies to be released in 7.1 in the future?

Opinions?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:55 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I'm not seeing a push for 7.1. Even the number of systems available are favoring 5.1. It seems that most people just don't have the room or want to deal with the extra speakers.

So you bought a movie for no other reason that it was 7.1?
Old 02-02-2011, 01:52 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Originally Posted by streckfu's
I'm not seeing a push for 7.1. Even the number of systems available are favoring 5.1. It seems that most people just don't have the room or want to deal with the extra speakers.

So you bought a movie for no other reason that it was 7.1?
Yes actually. I have a 7.1 setup and was hoping to experience the difference. The difference between 5.1 EX and 7.1 is quite noticeable. I actually only run 5.1 and forgo the EX material since it seems to wash out the 5.1 experience. 7.1 doesn't do this and adds some incredible depth to the viewing experience. There are a few scenes in the movie where the plane is coming over a mountain and you can hear it coming from a distance that is incredibly lifelike without washing out the surround speakers as 5.1EX does. Same with gunfire which is incredibly lifelike sounding. It was on sale for $15.99 with both BD and DVD discs so I figured it would make a good comparison. The DVD just ruins the impact in 5.1EX.

I enjoy the experience of movies and music and will watch movies or listen to LP's I would normally not have interest in on ordinary systems just to see how the system performs. It is a crap shoot this time I lost but it is a good way of comparing the 5.1 against 7.1.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:26 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

I run a 6.1 and the difference (IMO) is substantial. 7.1 would only be better I bet.

For example, in the opening scene in Gladiator, the arrows really sound like they're swishing over your head. I wouldn't have that effect without side mounted speakers and the circuitry that uses them.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm set up for 7.1 so the lack of 7.1 BD's is a disappointment. Like Cobalt's, my system will synthesize 7 channel surround but as he says, it's a compromise at best. Toy Story 3, with it's DTS-HD Master 7.1 sound track is the only BD I can remember watching recently with a true 7 channel sound track and it was superb. I'm not sure what the reason is for the lack of software but I wish the studios would get with the program.

Quick Reply: Why so little 7.1 content released on BD discs?