Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Auto stereo question from newbee

Old 01-13-2011, 10:09 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Auto stereo question from newbee

Greetings,

I am a visitor from the 6GT3 forum, and am hoping the expertise here can help me.

I recently put a Pioneer AVIC Z120BT head unit in my 2008 Audi. I drive 100 mi/day, and use many of the functions, but use the iPod hard wired most. I have not changed the speakers yet. The stock system was terrible, but with the equalizer in the head unit, the sound is tolerable. After listening for about 20-25 min, the sound abruptly changes, and it sounds like a speaker has blown. But, if I switch sources, say, to FM, the sound is normal. Then, I switch back to the iPod, it is bad. I tried my iPhone once instead of the iPod, and the same thing happens after 20 min of listening.The next time I drive the car, the same thing happens.
So...
Is it the head unit that is faulty, or the speakers? Can the head unit overheat just one source? Can the speakers distort with one source?

I'm all ears..........

BTW, I have B&W 5 y.o speakers and a Linn amp and still really like them, but had some Thiels, and in the right setting, they were much better. But, it is apples and oranges.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

As you have swapped ipods/iphone and other sources, and the fact it is ok when you go to FM means it is a faulty HU
peace

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto stereo question from newbee