Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Which are the best speakers you have ever heard?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:22 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
It's not about sound , sound is one criteria. It's about being the most significant speaker, more precisely the 12 most significant .

How can a new comer be one of the most significant speakers of all time, how has Magico revolutionize the industry , what makes it an Icon . The Quad was the first successful ESL and i believe it is also the best selling ESL ever, an Icon.

Really ridiculous that JBL is not recognized for his early work, instead Magico..

I would take a look to see who is signing Jonathon Valin and Robert Harley pay checks....
Understood, although I have heard of many brands and heard many speakers I have never come across Magico's. So something is telling me you are correct that they don't belong on the list. Apparently they didn't make a big impression on the people I know.

I agree there have been few speaker design breakthroughs and nothing of significance in a long time. I think that is why I was so impressed with the Adams. An old concept never properly adapted until now and a sound that backed it up. I understand why the quads are there. They did not impress me the way the Adams did. I might be wrong but I feel they might make the list one day.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:49 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magico , is supposedly good speakers , so what , there have been many good, no forget that , great speakers over the years that 's not on there list , how could they leave out Apogee Acoustics.

Apogee acoustics was the one to popularize ribbons and while not the first (maggies) easily an icon of the industry. JBL thru his work with Altec created , the first big speaker " voice of the theater " and went on to revolutionize the speaker industry thru the 50's and 60's, much more than Klipsch, another which is deserving of the list.

The Magico is really a follow on of the Sonus faber , a speaker that would have been worthy of such a list , as they changed the game when it came to making small speakers. Not to mention B&W and there many revolutionary manufacturer advancements ( matrix) so many ...

sad really ....
Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I guess I am remembering the older equipment. I owned a number of older Mac amps. I still have a 2505 and a 2105 and I had a 250 until it died. I found all these amps to be very dark sounding. We used to have a local shop called Purdue Audio I dealt with that would hold annual Mac clinics and inevitably they needed work ever year or so. Always something out of spec. It was nice even long after warranty was up Mac would fix them for free. Eventually the store closed and I haven't pulled the Mac's out since. I always loved the looks but there are other amps i personally prefer. Again many things come into play.
I remember those McIntosh clinics back in the 70's and 80's and as a kid I would go to those and just watch and listen. Maybe your term of dark means warm to me...not sure....but I get what you are saying. Maybe that is why my shop as a kid in the late 70's always pair up McIntosh with Klipsch. Back in the 80's as a drummer I had access to a lot of pro gear and I had a little system with a Crown DC150 amp and some JBL studio monitors.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:29 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Magico , is supposedly good speakers , so what , there have been many good, no forget that , great speakers over the years that 's not on there list , how could they leave out Apogee Acoustics.

Apogee acoustics was the one to popularize ribbons and while not the first (maggies) easily an icon of the industry. JBL thru his work with Altec created , the first big speaker " voice of the theater " and went on to revolutionize the speaker industry thru the 50's and 60's, much more than Klipsch, another which is deserving of the list.

The Magico is really a follow on of the Sonus faber , a speaker that would have been worthy of such a list , as they changed the game when it came to making small speakers. Not to mention B&W and there many revolutionary manufacturer advancements ( matrix) so many ...

sad really ....
I guess that is the nature of subjective opinions. I would have put Sonus faber up there myself but that is me. I plan on demoing the Adams again. I really was impressed with their approach and am considering trading in my winds. Not since I listened to the Infinities can I think of a speaker that has left as much of an impression on me.

Originally Posted by mdrums
I remember those McIntosh clinics back in the 70's and 80's and as a kid I would go to those and just watch and listen. Maybe your term of dark means warm to me...not sure....but I get what you are saying. Maybe that is why my shop as a kid in the late 70's always pair up McIntosh with Klipsch. Back in the 80's as a drummer I had access to a lot of pro gear and I had a little system with a Crown DC150 amp and some JBL studio monitors.
Like Wayne I too had a Crown DC150 at one time. I mentioned on another thread it was unfortunately never returned to me and a great loss. One I would have kept.

Klipsch and McIntosch went hand in hand. Inevitably if you were a Mac dealer you sold Klipsch too. Unless you purchased the McIntosch speakers. Mac was more of the Professional (ie Doctor, lawyer) equipment primarily due to the cost at the time. Almost inevitably they would play a classical piece to show off the equipment and were not pleased when I wanted to demo rock or progressive music. So I never really had a good feel of what they sounded like through a pair of Klipsch, since my interest at the time was not classical music. Most of my experience with the Mac equipment were run through a number of different speakers KEF, Boston Acoustics, Ohm and Fried. I would not have considered them warm through those speakers. Every ear hears things differently. If we didn't there would be a few brands using a similar approach. Nothing wrong with any of it so long as you enjoy what you are hearing.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:05 PM
nhporsche87
Instructor

When I was in the Air Force in the early 90's, stationed in Japan, we could get awesome equipment for what I concerned cheap money. I bought my stuff in 1992.

We had nothing much to do except drink and buy stereo equipment.

A bunch of guys bought Klipsch horns, I didn't like the way they sounded plus I thought they were ugly. Some others bought what I remember them being called as Klipsch 2's, those sounded much better in my opinion.

I shopped for a while listening to probably every kind of speaker I could find and finally bought some JBL L100S's. I coupled those with an Onkyo Receiver, can't remember the model right now, and an Onkyo M-508 power amp. I thought then, and still do, that every note, highs, mids and lows, are pushed out very well from the speakers. To this day I have the speakers and the amp, and they still blow my windows out when I want to and also sound excellent with less aggressive music. Gotta love an amp rated at 200 watts mono that will consistently put out 400 nice and clear. I also still have a thing for those 2 huge needles on the front.

I hope neither one, the amp or the speakers, ever goes on me, it will be a sad day.

I personally haven't been real impressed with JBL speakers since then, or any others for that matter, but then again I have not bought any since then . Of course Best Buy can't be expected to carry really good speakers I guess.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Title says it all.

To me, our old Dahlquist DQ 10's, the Genesis towers (electrostats + separate woofer towers), most Martin Logan's, my current Aerial's and some of the old audiophile grade Mirage like my father's M1's.
Polk SDA SRS 1.2, still have mine
Old 10-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

KEF 105's, bought them many years ago, still have them for my basement 2 channel system and sound great
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2010, 10:16 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice !!!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if some one trolls through this thread - looking for ideas - I just have to mention "best sounding at a bargain price" candidate - Vandersteen 2C (i's or e's). Available NEW for about $2K and used for ~$500. They will beat all comers at multiples of the cost. True 30Hz - stunning detail and a very natural sound - with bottomless power handling. I'm running a set with a Krell SS amp - and they love it.

Once you're on the "time and phase aligned" bandwagon - its hard to get off.

On that tangent - the Wilson Watt/Puppy's (later versions) are stunning and prolly the best I've ever heard (complete with $$$$ upstream gear of course).

Other notable mentions would include those 3A's, and bigger pollks from the early 90's.

But the first speaker that really truly stunned me - was indeed the Mirage M1.

RK
Old 11-03-2010, 09:10 AM
J.PELLEGRINO
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been a music lover and an audiophile for over 35 years and have been exposed to and owned some of the finest gear in the world. I have on numerous occasions heard many of the Magico speakers. I can tell you that all of Alon's designs are very well conceived and exquisitely executed. The sound can be a bit "hifi" for me, depending on the upstream components and cables used, but they can produce some amazing sound. I will admit the set up is critical and the rooms I have heard them are very well designed, but the results were most impressive. As for the cost/value relationship, that is a personal choice, but I would strongly recommend anyone that appreciates fine musical reproduction make the effort to hear them...
Old 11-03-2010, 11:32 AM
MDeBoard
Track Day

My Vandersteen 5's sound great. It took a long time to get them to sound their best, but with a little effort they really sing. The Vandersteens replaced my B&W Nautilus 800's which always sounded congested to me. I just could not get them to open up. The sounded very bad from another room, which has always been a red flag for me.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:36 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

When ever asked, "What are the best loudspeakers" .... I have to say it’s the room stupid! – LoL. A little harsh but its true. The acoustics of any room is an enormous metric when evaluating the best of the best in audio monitors.

I’m kinda partial to the active approach to playback,, which started about 15 years ago or so IIRC. ATC, Genelec, PMC, etc comes to mind. Or the old sckool method such as Dunlavy's driven with Bryston's often used in mastering.
http://www.atcloudspeakers.co.uk
I’m partial to the pro side of the ATC line up. Their SCM20ASL- Pro is an active 2 way monitor that I never tire listening to – its straight up freak'in linear,,, and image with the best of the best. I own several pairs using them with the plasma TVs in a 3 L-C-R arrangement; The Bryston SP2 pre-pro in balanced mode steers the deal. The Bryston is a sweet heart.
For the big room here at the house there’s the ATC model SCM100ASL active’s where an Audio Research pre an ole SP9II & Ref II (hybrid tube design), a AMEK/Neve pre or a EMM Labs pre (Ed Meitner) runs the show.

In the end ,, the best of the best are speakers/monitors which do a disappearing act…. That's where the sound stage is visable but the speakers are not. That trick costs money.

P.S. I have a few Hafler pre amps if anyone is interested. Original boxes, manuals, excellent condition, etc. I think the model is a 915 / pure Class A; (A Jim Strickland design) The Hafler 915 pre is a silver faced 1 rack space (19") unit along the lines of the ole Crown PSL-2, only the P/SL-2 is not musical, not in the least.) The SL-2 is a broadcast truck staple of yore... The Hafler 915 is a very smooth/dynamic/fast sounding solid state pre.
PM me .. for a fellow Rennlister there cheap $$.

Last edited by M. Schneider; 11-08-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:48 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Genelec .. Riad is going to luv you .........
Old 11-08-2010, 12:59 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
KEF 105's, bought them many years ago, still have them for my basement 2 channel system and sound great
And the other great contender was the B&W DM IIs, which I still have.

As to the best speaker:-

PMC BB-5
Old 11-15-2010, 04:57 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I have not heard a lot of speakers, but IMO the best I have heard were the Focal Electra 1037be driven by BAT VK150SE monoblocks and a VK52SE Preamp.

Quick Reply: Which are the best speakers you have ever heard?