Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Get back speakers working with Burmester sound system and a aftermarket head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2024, 11:20 AM
Sealand
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Get back speakers working with Burmester sound system and a aftermarket head unit?

Dear rennlist community,
  • I have purchased a Cayenne 958 Turbo with the Burmester sound system. While I love the car I want to get some current connectivity in it and purchased one of those Android head units.
  • To connect to the Burmester system they also come with a fiber optic box which allows to encode the sound output from the Android device and output it over the speakers.
  • However the back speakers now stay completely silent - front speakers work perfectly. I have also checked the fading control and equalizer, all is set correct / it doesnt change if I change it here.
I understand that the classic fiber optic boxes (like the one I have) are only 2 channel, but should I not be able to connect output the stereo sound also to the back?

I am curious to understand if this is a technical limitation of the hardware or a setup failure on my end.

Thanks so much for your anticipated help!
Old 08-21-2024, 11:07 AM
boxdriver
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

It is not something that you did wrong. It seems to be a limitation of the Android units when connected to a Porsche amp.
A work around is to power the rear speakers directly from the head unit. You can do this as follows:

Old 08-21-2024, 11:41 AM
Sealand
6th Gear

Thanks @boxdriver , super helpful and appreciated!

As an updated: I was too frustrated with the low sound quality of the Android systems and decided for the Wireless Carplay interface GTA Car Kit which directly integrates a android system into the OEM PCM 3.1 (https://www.gtacarkits.com/). This way you keep all the PCM features and have full audio via the Burmester system and can use the OEM microphone.

Only downside is that the display is still outdated and small - so I hope that the android connectivity moves forward in the next 1-2 years and then I would love to go to a modern unit - will save this post for the wiring diagram.
Old 08-21-2024, 04:27 PM
boxdriver
Racer

Originally Posted by Sealand
Thanks @boxdriver , super helpful and appreciated!

As an updated: I was too frustrated with the low sound quality of the Android systems and decided for the Wireless Carplay interface GTA Car Kit which directly integrates a android system into the OEM PCM 3.1 (https://www.gtacarkits.com/). This way you keep all the PCM features and have full audio via the Burmester system and can use the OEM microphone.

Only downside is that the display is still outdated and small - so I hope that the android connectivity moves forward in the next 1-2 years and then I would love to go to a modern unit - will save this post for the wiring diagram.
I am surprised to hear about your low sound quality. I have a Chstek 7862 unit that I installed in my 981 Cayman with Bose. I am happy with the sound quality. I think it sounds better than the PCM 3.1 did. Your link to your HU looks like my unit. Maybe the version we have makes the difference in sound quality. Which version did you get? I would have a hard time going back to the PCM after using this screen for the last couple months!
Old 08-21-2024, 04:58 PM
Sealand
6th Gear

Good to hear that it’s not a general problem of this android head units don’t know how to find out which version I had, but the sound was bad and also while no sound was playing there was a constant noise and stuff. Overall not a good experience.

Did you get the OEM mic working with your unit?
Old 08-21-2024, 05:18 PM
boxdriver
Racer

I didn't hook up any of the mics, I just use the mic (small hole) that is in the face of the HU. It seems to work fine that way.
Old 08-22-2024, 04:18 AM
Sealand
6th Gear

Ah - thanks for the experience share!

Quick Reply: Get back speakers working with Burmester sound system and a aftermarket head unit?