Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Radio propblems 2013 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 10:31 PM
racegt
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio propblems 2013 Cayenne

Hey guys, first off I'm a new member but have been using Rennlist for years to help me with my Porsches.

Ok, I have a 2013 Cayenne GTS with Bose radio. About a week ago, I was driving about 1.5 hours back from lake and my radio went flat. All I heard was sub woofer and the sound was just muffled. I pulled over, turned the car off, waited, turned back on and the radio went back to normal- all speakers were working properly. Next day, I start the car, all I hear is sub woofer. Tried everything and nothing. I got on here and read some similar topics and decided to pull the Bose amplifier out. Took like 8 minutes using the Porsche tool kit.

I called the dealer, Park Place Porsche in Dallas and they didn't have on in stock and quoted me $1736 for parts and labor. I mentioned looking for one online and they said that I wouldn't be able to just swap out amplifiers without having the dealer hook my car up to a Porsche computer and "code" the new amplifier so the system recognizes it. Is that true?

So, that's were I am at. I found a exact replacement amplifier on ebay for $850 and before I spend that on what is described as a "new" amplifier I wanted to ask if there may be anything else that could be causing that problem? I don't knw how too test the amplifier or anyone who could test it or the individual components. Could it be anything else? Perhaps something simple?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks guys.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:59 PM
bpcmd
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m having the same exact problem with my 2013 Cayenne S. Dealer told me it was the amp also. I can’t believe it. I think it’s more like a short in a wire. Let us know how you make out.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:19 PM
racegt
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have talked to several shops, including the dealer. Basically they were unwilling to rule out anything unless I brought the car in and they were able to diagnose the problem. Park Place Porsche told me that they have really no way of diagraming the source of the problem and so they just replace components. Other shops told me that it would cost up to $2000 to diagnose and repair but they couldn't repair a Bose amplifier so they would most likely replace with "like new" or equivalent.

I took the amp out, which was 4 hours of labor cost (took me 5 minutes) and decided to look on ebay. I found about 8 Bose amplifiers for that year/model with matching numbers to mine. I just bought one brand new in box for $850, so I will know in a few days if this was in fact the source of the problem or not. But most likely from what I have heard and read, I'm 85% certain that this new amp will fix the problem.

On a side note: Right after this started happening (within 3 weeks) my battery died overnight. I had to call Roadside Assistance to come out and unlock my door. I got a new battery and was told that the radio could be acting the way it did from "low voltage". I highly doubt that.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:20 PM
bpcmd
AutoX

Thumbs up

OK Guys I have the solution.
It is not the amp ( my dealer told me this too)
It is the car's battery!!!!!!!!
When was the last time you changed it?
I changed my battery and the annoying radio problems went away!!
Old 06-16-2021, 11:37 PM
schernov
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts

Make sure you code the battery to the car so it charges properly.
The following users liked this post:
bpcmd (06-27-2021)
Old 06-27-2021, 09:19 AM
bpcmd
AutoX

Thanks. Good point. I had my battery disconnected for at least 15 min.... do you think that did the trick? My favorite radio stations remained in the PCM, is this an indication it was not long enough???? Must I get my guy to reset it?

Quick Reply: Radio propblems 2013 Cayenne