Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

997 aftermarket amp between Bose amp and speakers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 07:29 AM
HAAANK
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997 aftermarket amp between Bose amp and speakers.

After searching I couldn’t find what I was looking for so I thought I’d ask the specific question.

I dont yet yet own a 997 but that will be changing in the next month or two.

My intention is to add an aftermarket (JL Audio XD700/5) amp to the system in between the Bose amp and the speakers. Anyone done this with success?

I’m thinking this will work as the amp has preamp/speaker-level inputs as well as out puts, allowing me to route the speaker wire through the amp and add a sub without any problem. I did this in my 2010 Impreza and it worked like a charm.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:16 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by HAAANK
After searching I couldn’t find what I was looking for so I thought I’d ask the specific question.

I dont yet yet own a 997 but that will be changing in the next month or two.

My intention is to add an aftermarket (JL Audio XD700/5) amp to the system in between the Bose amp and the speakers. Anyone done this with success?

I’m thinking this will work as the amp has preamp/speaker-level inputs as well as out puts, allowing me to route the speaker wire through the amp and add a sub without any problem. I did this in my 2010 Impreza and it worked like a charm.
The communication between the Bose amplifier and the in-dash PCM in a 997 is done over MOST Fiber-Optic. There's no way for your aftermarket amplifier to integrate with that signal without an interface module like the DA2 from Mobridge. You could also keep the original amplifier in place and use the outputs of the Bose amplifier into your new amplifier. Bare in mind this is a vastly different speaker configuration than your Subaru was and the Porsche will require channels 1-4 to be used on the front speakers – you'll lose rear speakers if you don't keep the Bose amplifier to power them.

You're alternative route, and the one I highly recommend, is to also replace the PCM with a new head unit. That way you no longer need to worry about fiber optics and you can use the rear channels on the radio to directly power the rear speakers. Not to mention the feature-based upgrades like Apple CarPlay/Android Auto that come along with that. There are a lot of other technical bits of info you need to execute this job properly, but feel free to ask me any questions that might help you along in the process!

—Nick
Old 11-03-2018, 09:32 AM
HAAANK
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
The communication between the Bose amplifier and the in-dash PCM in a 997 is done over MOST Fiber-Optic. There's no way for your aftermarket amplifier to integrate with that signal without an interface module like the DA2 from Mobridge. You could also keep the original amplifier in place and use the outputs of the Bose amplifier into your new amplifier. Bare in mind this is a vastly different speaker configuration than your Subaru was and the Porsche will require channels 1-4 to be used on the front speakers – you'll lose rear speakers if you don't keep the Bose amplifier to power them.

You're alternative route, and the one I highly recommend, is to also replace the PCM with a new head unit. That way you no longer need to worry about fiber optics and you can use the rear channels on the radio to directly power the rear speakers. Not to mention the feature-based upgrades like Apple CarPlay/Android Auto that come along with that. There are a lot of other technical bits of info you need to execute this job properly, but feel free to ask me any questions that might help you along in the process!

—Nick

Nick, thanks for the insight.

I’ve also heard that it is possible to set the PCM to non-premium audio which activates the RCA cables.

My preference would be to keep things looking stock, I’m not crazy about many of the aftermarket radios and use my phone for controlling audio any how. I treat the PCM like a preamp I guess.

As for channels, I had in mind not using the backseat speakers and running only the fronts and the sub.

Last edited by HAAANK; 11-03-2018 at 09:35 AM. Reason: More words

Quick Reply: 997 aftermarket amp between Bose amp and speakers.