Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

AUX for CDR-210 Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 11:32 PM
JeyThePorsche
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AUX for CDR-210 Radio?

Hey everyone, new user here.

So I'm not a big car guy, and I mostly rely on a buddy of mine to help me out with car issues, but I recently attempted to make use of a cable I bought on amazon, and I'm very lost.

Essentially, I want to be able to play music through AUX on my 1998 Porsche Boxster. My car runs a Becker CDR-210 AM/FM/CD radio.

I did some research, and saw that many people with CDR-220s were able to easily convert their radio to accept AUX by purchasing a cheap cable that plugs into the input for the CD Changer's RCA present on some of the Boxster models from that time.
The main idea is that with the cable, you should be able to trick your radio into thinking your playing a CD through the CD source, while accepting audio from your iPhone through the CDC input.

Here's the cable referenced:
Amazon Amazon

I looked at the product, seeing that it was only for CDR-220s. I consulted a Youtuber who had made a tutorial on installation of this cable, and asked him if the cable would also work on a CDR-210, and he replied, saying that there's no reaosn it shouldn't work, as the cable would still serve the same purpose of tricking the radio into using the CDCs source. This made sense, as the two were very similar radio models.

Fast forward 1 week; my cable arrives. I'm excited to get this thing working after months of riding around with a small portable speaker. I pull out the radio, unplug the CDC plug, and replace it with the aux cable with an identical plug. Fits perfectly.
Fire up my radio, switch the source to CD, and plug in my phone. I play some music through Spotify, but it isn't working. Okay, so I;m thinking I might have to do something after that, considering I'm giving the radio a whole different formatting. I looked on some forums and videos, and finally I found a video where a guy explains how to program the AUX source into the radio by pushing down on a button...that's only present on the CDR-220.

The button is just about the only difference between the 210 and 220; just a small 'TP' button that if held down for 8 seconds, beeps, pulls up 'Becker 1', and allows you to scroll to enable AUX.

I kept messing around with it, trying to find a way to do it on the 210. I tried holding down buttons, unplugging other cables on the unit, putting in a CD to trick the CD source into running; still nothing.
The one thing that confuses me, is that it doesn't seem like there's a reason it shouldn't work, as I'm essentially just rerouting the audio source through a compatible cable.

I would happily invest in one of those head unit boxes that you can get for about $80, or just invest in a used 220, but as a guy who's about to start college, I don't really have the funds to keep throwing money around and seeing what lands.
Ideally, I would love to just find a way to use my CDR-210 and the cable and make it work, but I've run out of ideas. I'm fairly sure that it's possible, as I saw some people discuss on other forums, but I was not provided with an explanation on how they made it work.

If it helps, I can upload some photos of the 210 and the inputs. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:13 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 169 Likes on 116 Posts

Old Post, but found these in other threads. Trying to get the AUX function working for a customer that purchased our BTR-2 Bluetooth Retrofit Kit found HERE

Turn Radio ON.
Press and hold the “TP” button for about 8 seconds until Sub Menu is displayed.
Press the button located directly under AUX on the display to change the present setting from OFF to ON.
Turn radio OFF.
Auxilliary Audio Input has now been activated.

CD-Changer Type

· Press the automatic switch to access "CDC - TYPE".

· You may now choose between 6 or 10 Disc Changers.

· To choose, press either multifunction key under the "" symbols.

· To store your choice, press the multifunction key under "AS".

To enable AUX function, press and hold TP button until BECKER is displayed. Scroll through options until AUX is displayed to switch it on.

• The S button selects the operating mode: AM, FM, CD, or CD Changer (only if a CD changer is connected) However in your case, the BTR-2 receiver IS connected. Press the S button repeatedly until the desired source is selected.
  • The operation mode appears on the left side of the display.
  • The radio will switch between the last two modes used.
  • If CD and FM were chosen as the last two operations, pressing the S button will switch between these functions.
  • To access another mode, the S button must be pressed repeatedly until the desired operation appears in the display.
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers

Quick Reply: AUX for CDR-210 Radio?