Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Double DIN+ Aftermarket Android Stereo Install Odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 07:20 AM
lou-in-nj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double DIN+ Aftermarket Android Stereo Install Odyssey

The factory radio in my 2006 997 was a time machine, so I started reading-up on replacement 2 DIN radios, I was soon intrigued by the un-branded, or nearly-branded Android head units for between $79-$275. After researching various models for about a week I settled on a "nearly-branded" Eonon having an Octa-core processor, 32GB of RAM, and running Oreo, with back-up camera and what-not, for $275...more about this unit later. I ordered the face-plate kit separately, and when I received them I discovered that double DIN in the export/gray market stereo market, was actually double DIN+; while the body of the radio was 2 DIN, the radio bezel was about 3/16" larger in height and width, so unless you are willing to live with the stereo protruding 1" past the face-plate, you need to open up the face-plate. I finally settled on using a straight router bit in my drill-press, and clamping a fence as a guide to run the face-plate against. I used masking tape to prevent scratching of the face-plate and marked the limits of where I should start/stop routing. I have a cheap router table, but I opted for the drill-press because I could position the face-plate and then lower the spinning bit on to the face-plate. Since the sides to the face-plate are tapered by about 3/16" over the top to bottom length, I just taped a 3/16" piece of scrap to the edge to give me the angle I needed to keep the sides perfectly perpendicular to the top cut (and I only trimmed the top, and not the bottom. I would suggest positioning/installing the radio first, and then seeing/measuring, where it make sense to cut your face-place.) I will say that if I get the ambition to buy another face-plate for $15, I'll give it another go to see if I can make an even cleaner opening, I'll use the router table next time because it doesn't vibrate like the drill press, and that was what made my first cut on the top edge, not as good as the side cuts that I did after I got the hang of it..

The $25 install kit that had the face-plate, also had the side locking plates that are normally mounted on the aftermarket radio, but my radio bezel is larger than 2 DIN, so even those had to be cut down since the radio's bezel flared the ends of the plates out to the point that the radio couldn't be fully seated in the opening until I sawed off the end of each plate before they touched the bezel.

But all of this was only after I discovered that I had to deal with a digital, fiber-optic interface with the Bose amplifier. Rewiring the car wasn't what I wanted to do, although I did briefly consider using my oscilloscope to figure out where the D/A conversion signal was on the amp board, and wiring into that, after making power and impedance adjustments...I quickly gave-up on that idea when I found a $250 A/D interface:
PORSCHE Multi 2005-2012 FIBER OPTIC SWC Wire Harness Aftermarket Radio IX-PR004
This accessory fit entirely behind the radio, is easy/clear to wire to your aftermarket wiring, and plugs directly into the car's OEM connectors.
This interface has RCA left & right inputs, as well as the power, headlight dimming, memory power and a couple of other connections, that as far I can tell, do everything except put the radio programming message on the dashboard. While it turned my $300 stereo project into a $550 project, it was worth it.

With regard to the Eonon Android stereo,it is a lot of fun...but don't count on any published descriptions to impart this; the ads on Ebay and Amazon are pathetic in their descriptions of features, and the reviews on Youtube are mostly by rank amateurs who are too caught-up in their particular narrow idea of what's important. So the head unit (stereo as I still call it), is a true Android device, it's touch-screen acts just like a tablet, and it's flexibility is just as great. But you would never know this from the "instruction manual" (and I use that term loosely!) that comes with the unit. The manual, if you can call it that, is a collection of pages talking about the pre-loaded apps, and not how to use them necessarily, just that their there. But as for the built in features, it has a digital EQ with about 6 pre-sets that you can tailor to your sound preferences. What's funny is, while the app doesn't run unless it's opened, it's previous settings are always held and remembered by the digital signal processor which handles the actual EQ function.The radio tuner sensitivity is very good to my surprise. It has at least 12 presets (maybe 18+, I haven't gotten that far yet) for each band. A.M. is better on this radio than many other factory radios I've ever had. It decodes and displays station messages on the screen as well, and has stereo/mono button for weak areas. While I'm talking about the tuner, the AM/FM antenna jack is the regular old style, you must buy an adapter to make it plug into the FARKA plug that Porsche uses. Also, GPS on the radio, has an SMA female, that must be adapted to another Farka plug if your car has a satellite antenna, otherwise it does come with it's own satellite antenna. The radio has 4G, I suppose I'd need a card to run it on a network, but I'm just tethering to my phone for now, and that provides me with the ability to use Waze, Google Maps, my calendar, email, Youtube, Pandora, Tune-In radio app, and any other app I need a data connection for. There is Bluetooth as well, and with that I can stream audio from my phone, use Torque and an OBDii reader, TPMS, and any other accessory that uses the Bluetooth communications mode. About all of this, I am really pleased at how Eonon integrated a tablet with a car stereo, as setting you'd expect to have in either, seem to be in this unit.

With regard to the settings, there are a multitude of them, from auto-time-zone, radio band by country, to start-up-screen car logo and pre-amp volume settings for all the different audio sources. Speaking of volume settings, I opted for a model that has a **** as I don't have steering wheel controls, and I don't want to have to look down at the stereo to see where to press the screen to lower the volume. Interestingly, even the volume **** has multiple settings; it wasn't acting correctly when I first installed the unit, but I found that even that could be adjusted (it looks like the volume **** setting default was for a car with wheel controls, there were about 10 different possible settings, I guess depending on the OEM wheel control interface. Experimenting got me to the setting that worked best.)

That being said about finding settings and experimenting wth them; you will find you are relying on Youtube and forums for answers about how to get the radio set-up, since as I said earlier, the manual, doesn't even appear to be written for any particular model, and is just a collection of descriptions of the built-in apps. One thing I have to figure out is the cell phone call audio is not coming through the speaker(s), while Bluetooth music is. I think it is because the Bluetooth communications protocol does separate telephone audio from media audio for whatever reason, and telephone audio is only sent to the left front speaker, and I'm using the pre-amp outputs from the stereo (since they were RCA females which plugged so nicely into the RCA males of the A/D converter), not the speaker outputs, so I think my telephone audio is not present on that line. I have a little speaker I could connect and mount under the dash, or I might switch to using the front speaker lines to drive the A/D converter. Normally, I use earbuds when on the phone, so this is not a big concern for me.

Lastly, I haven't installed the back-up camera yet due to all the interior work that I'd probably have to do; but it looks like I need to tap into the reverse light as power for the camera and to energize the wire on the stereo that switches the screen automatically to camera mode when putting the car in reverse. I was also thinking about wiring it so it would activate with the turn signals as well to check the blind-spots when changing lanes, but this would require diodes on each of the voltage lines so none of the lights turn on the others, and making a latching circuit or big capacitor so the intermittent turn-signal voltage is changed into a steady current flow to the camera.

Last edited by lou-in-nj; 06-23-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:40 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 383 Posts

Would you buy the same unit again?
Old 07-28-2018, 09:46 PM
lou-in-nj
Intermediate

Default Would I buy the same unit again?

After about a month of use , I would still have to say yes I would buy the same unit again. Since the car isn't my daily driver, I still want to tweak some things like using the amplified (speaker) outputs of the head unit to drive the A to D converter, not the preamp level outputs I'm using now, which although the volume **** does control the pre-amp output, it's not driving the A to D converter to get full volume out of the amplifier and speakers. It is nice to have the calendar and reminder functions up-to-date everytime I start the car, since the radio's Wi-Fi connects to the house Wi-Fi and internet before I leave the garage.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:48 AM
jroal
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pumpkin AE0273B-08A Android Stereo Head Unit Install in 2006 Porsche Cayman S

I bought the Pumpkin which looks identical to yours. I did a write-up of my install here: https://jimroal.blogspot.com/2018/08...head-unit.html
I have only had mine installed a week. So far I too am happy with it.

Your comments about the documentation would indicate that it is also the same as mine. I did install a backup camera and it was actually pretty easy and works well. I love having Waze in the dash! I also used Tasker to automatically hotspot my phone when the Bluetooth connects to give the Pumpkin internet at all times. I can use all my favorite music streaming apps right in the head unit this way as well as get live Waze traffic info.

Last edited by jroal; 08-29-2018 at 07:57 AM. Reason: adding more info
The following users liked this post:
lou-in-nj (12-10-2022)
Old 09-23-2018, 02:45 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in the process of installing one of these in my 987.1 Cayman.
I am trying to affect the factory wiring as little as possible, and originally did not go with the full CANBUS integration, just the cheap MOST adapter from China.
I just looked up the PORSCHE Multi 2005-2012 FIBER OPTIC SWC Wire Harness Aftermarket Radio IX-PR004 from Spiral Audio, and ordered it. It is now $295. Oh, well, if I cut fewer wires, it will be better.
Maybe I can resell the Longate MOST adapter.

I haven't installed a car stereo in over 20 years, and this is very complex. Building computers is far easier.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:53 PM
lou-in-nj
Intermediate

After soldering a the radio wires to the adapter harness, which isn't hard if you've soldered before, the two things that can slow down the install are cutting the face-plate if you need to enlarge it as I did, and fiddling with the side brackets and securing the stereo. For a pro, it would be a 4 hour job.

Quick Reply: Double DIN+ Aftermarket Android Stereo Install Odyssey