Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Android based PCM replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 05:39 PM
andys997tt
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android based PCM replacement

I just bought my 2008 Porsche 997 Turbo w/ Bose system and looking to replace my PCM. I've done a lot of reading on this forum the last 2 days on PCM replacement. It seems to me that lots of people went with a Pioneer head unit. Have anyone replace the PCM with an Android based head unit ? My buddy installed an Android based head unit on his M5 and he's very happy with it. I would like to keep my Bose system and all the OEM functions if possible. I prefer to have the new head unit with navigation, rear camera and Bluetooth connection. I have an Android phone and don't acre for iPhone. Any advice will be great appreciated. Thanks !
Old 08-25-2018, 10:33 PM
michaelgsmiles
3rd Gear

Andys99tt, My 2006 996TT Head unit just bit the dust. What did you end up installing in your 997 ? I'm happy to take any advice. Did you change out your speakers as well?
Old 08-25-2018, 10:57 PM
michaelgsmiles
3rd Gear

sorry that was supposed to be 2004 not 2006 996TT.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:42 AM
jroal
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pumpkin AE0273B-08A Android Stereo Head Unit Install in 2006 Porsche Cayman S

I just installed a Pumpkin full-Android head unit in my 987 Cayman S. Full write-up here: https://jimroal.blogspot.com/2018/08...head-unit.html
I have had it installed less than a week now but so far very happy with it. I hope you find this info useful. I too use an Android phone but this unit will work with any phone.

Last edited by jroal; 08-29-2018 at 07:44 AM. Reason: adding more info
Old 10-05-2018, 11:25 PM
andys997tt
6th Gear

Sorry for the late response. i just saw your message. i replaced my factory PCM with this android headunit,

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/XTRO...3da24c4dxFGvQr

since i have BOSE system in my 997 TT, i bought the Seicane MOST adapter to work with the android head unit. installation was done by a local car stereo shop

unfortunately, i have been having problem with the replacement. sounds are dropped from time to time. i have come to the conclusion that the problem is with the Seicane MOST adapter.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:16 AM
jroal
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andys997tt
Sorry for the late response. i just saw your message. i replaced my factory PCM with this android headunit,

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/XTRO...3da24c4dxFGvQr

since i have BOSE system in my 997 TT, i bought the Seicane MOST adapter to work with the android head unit. installation was done by a local car stereo shop

unfortunately, i have been having problem with the replacement. sounds are dropped from time to time. i have come to the conclusion that the problem is with the Seicane MOST adapter.
I occasionally have the sound dropping issue. I was headed down the same path blaming the adapter but finally figured it out. Go to the equalizer app in the head unit and adjust the fader back to the proper place. In my case I used the front channels so I just click front. It does not appear to change anything but the sound does come back. Mine would start to decrease output on the drivers side and when I do this it brings it all back. Seems like a software issue in this head unit. Not too surprising. At least it is easy to fix. IN my case it seems to happen once every couple weeks or so.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:58 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

I did this in an Acadia. I hated it. Get a Pioneer, you’ll be much happier. It’s fine at first, but over time, all the little things wear on you. The interminably long boot up. The terrible FM tuner app. The inability to get digital radio. The overall half finished software. Random hangs and crashes. Poor compatibility with USB devices. I could go on and on.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:10 PM
NewportAutosound
Former Vendor

Hey there, you can replace your radio with whatever type of double din unit you could want. I will say im not a huge fan of the android based style radios. Unfortunately I have seen too many bad ones over the course of time that they have been available. If you are looking for an Android type solution, I would say to get a Pioneer or Kenwood radio that supports Android Auto. Plus the output of the preamp section is going to be much better which is how you are connecting into the most adapter into the car. We do these cars weekly if you have any more questions about it or integrating into it.

Quick Reply: Android based PCM replacement