Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Adding Wireless Apple CarPlay to PCM 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 03:21 PM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Adding Wireless Apple CarPlay to PCM 3.0

I'm planning on adding wireless Apple CarPlay to my Spyder and am looking at two options. The first one is from JoyeAuto, which I have currently installed in my GT4. The price of this box has gone up since I purchased mine a year or so ago. It's now $539.00 shipped. I see that there's another Chinese company selling a very similar version through the CarSight store on AliExpress for $336. Has anyone installed the CarSight version or know the difference between it and the JoyeAuto unit? They seem almost identical and there are other car related items I'd like to spend the $200 on.

JoyeAuto Wireless Apple CarPlay for PCM 3.0

CarSight Wireless Apple CarPlay for PCM 3.0
Old 05-09-2022, 02:33 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 59 Posts

Any update on your search/decision? I'm about to get a 2010 Cayman S (originally fitted with PCM 3.0 with BOSE) now fitted with a 10-year-old Pioneer aftermarket head unit (but PCM is coming with the car as well). Trying to look at a new, modern CP capable head unit or back fitting the PCM with one of the Car Play modules you cited in your post.

Lot's of unknowns, but any experience, guidance, or warnings would be much appreciated.

Also, your prior stable is somewhat familiar! I've had a 55 pre-A Speedster (S/N 81118) and a 73 RS Touring (#1160). Both long gone, among many others. So the beat goes on!
Old 05-10-2022, 02:41 PM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 165 Posts

@SFZ GT3 I have purchased the JoyeAuto unit but have not yet had the time to install it. The unit looks exactly like the one I installed in my GT4 so I assume that the installation will be the same. I'm hoping that I will be able to put the unit under the passenger seat but have not yet removed the seat to see if there's room. Also, I'm still deciding whether I'm going to install a front camera along with the rear one. I am planning on removing the front bumper to install some mesh grills so I will decide then as to whether I can make the installation look factory or not.

That's interesting that you too had both a Pre A Speedster and a Carrera RS. I owned the Speedster in the late 90's and I don't recall the VIN off hand. I owned the Carrera RS in the 2000's. It was chassis #93 and was all original with 53,000 miles. I was the fourth owner. I really wish I still had that car. I sold both for what I thought was big money at the time which was nowhere close to what they are worth today. Since you're in north Fl., if you've ever been to the Brumos Collection, Dano Davis owns another one of my old cars; a Silver 1953 Mercedes 300S Coupe which I sold it to him a number of years ago.

1955 Pre A Speedster

1973 Carrera RS Touring #93
Old 05-10-2022, 04:21 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 59 Posts

Wow, amazing cars! And to add to the "coincidences", one of the several 911 track cars my brother had in the 80's thru 2006 or so was a 72 991 3.4L (built) street/track car. Yellow (forgot the exact name) and a joy on the track, except when it snapped the crank at Watkins Glen! Fortunately, we trailered it here and got home OK.

Posting a pic of the Speedster, the 72 T and my RS Touring.

The following users liked this post:
Last_935 (05-11-2022)

Quick Reply: Adding Wireless Apple CarPlay to PCM 3.0