Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Video track app

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 04:04 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 679 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Video track app

I would like some suggestions. Currently I am using HLT (Harry's Lap Timer) and a GoPro with the addition of a BT OBDII dongle to get the data to HLT. The integration and ease of use is horrible. Both HLT getting data from the car via the dongle (loses BT connection, PITA to set up and ensure it is working before each session) and then downloading and syncing the video from GoPro to HLT, he has not figured that our at all. Got so frustrated I started using my iPhone for the video with HLT as at least the video matched the data. Problem as you know is there is no such mount that keeps a big iPhone from shaking and getting decent video.

I only track about 4 times a year and then I would like a system that could also be used on the weekend for an occasional canyon run. Does this exist? Thoughts? Looking for ease of use, good video quality and good track data that can be analyzed fairly easily.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:33 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I am in the same boat. There was a good recent discussion on this topic that I found useful. Good luck with whatever you go with. I am still undecided.

https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...r-harry-s.html
Old 01-28-2018, 02:35 PM
Joehatz
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 39 Posts

Have a look at this.

https://www.waylens.com
Old 11-26-2023, 02:12 AM
lockeddiff
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track precision app video upside down?

Any folks experienced issues using the track precision app on their iphone to record video as well and then the video shows up upside down?

I'm connect via carplay wirelessly on a 992 911.

unfortunately there's no way to flip the video in the app, so it's lost. It happens about 50% of the time. I haven't been able to figure out the pattern that makes it not record the video upside down.

Curious if others have experienced and any tips or workarounds you can share.

Thanks
Old 11-26-2023, 02:25 PM
mthreat
Pro

Received 323 Likes on 168 Posts

I've been using the Track Precision App, including the video part. There's a long thread about it with some good tips here: https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...ision-app.html

When the app works, it's great. But for me it was failing about 50% of the time. Here are some things I've figured out about the app:

1. One big tip is to always put your phone in airplane mode (and turn off Wifi, if you're connected to a wifi network at the track, for example). The reason is, any phone call or possibly incoming text message can cause the Track Precision App to fail. Porsche should fix this.

2. I always plug in the phone using the USB to lightning cable. I'm not sure if this helps, but for me, a wired connection is usually better than a wireless one (just less convenient sometimes).

3. Even though I connect using the USB cable, the stupid app seems to want to connect using the wifi too. In addition, sometimes the Track Precision App loses connection and wants me to sign in again, which means typing in my Porsche username and password into my iPhone, and then connecting to the car's wifi using the PCM's "Device manager" and QR code thing. Even though my phone already has the 5 GHz wifi SSID and password, it wants me to use the QR code method. Porsche should fix this.

4. For video recording using the iPhone, I use a GoPro suction cup mount on my windshield, with this phone holder:
Amazon Amazon

I always orient the phone so the screen is facing me, and the phone is using it's front-facing camera (the default). And the USB cord is always coming out of the right side of the phone. Be sure to go to the Track Precision App settings (under "Start" -> "Video") and set your video resolution, and be sure to set it for your main camera. I use "Full HD" (1080p), 30 fps, autofocus OFF w/ focal point "Infinity" (Autofocus ON may be ok too), image stabilizer ON, record audio ON. You can go up to 4K, 60 fps if you want, but it takes a lot of space and probably slows down an already slow process when exporting.

5. For some sessions where the video recording failed but I had the data, I was able to take a video from my 3rd party dashcam, and sync it using the Track Precision App's sync feature under "Video footage". The hardest part was getting the video synced exactly with the data, but in the end it worked.

From a software point of view, the app is pretty flakey, but it has great potential. In my opinion they just need better quality control (e.g. testing), or maybe they should let people like us report bugs to them. Porsche are not as good at software as they are at cars.

Originally Posted by lockeddiff
Any folks experienced issues using the track precision app on their iphone to record video as well and then the video shows up upside down?

I'm connect via carplay wirelessly on a 992 911.

unfortunately there's no way to flip the video in the app, so it's lost. It happens about 50% of the time. I haven't been able to figure out the pattern that makes it not record the video upside down.

Curious if others have experienced and any tips or workarounds you can share.

Thanks

Last edited by mthreat; 11-26-2023 at 02:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mthreat:
DR911s (04-17-2024), Mike981S (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 12:20 AM
mthreat
Pro

Received 323 Likes on 168 Posts

I have a correction to my post above, but I can't edit the post now:

In #4, the I USB cord should come out of the left side of the phone. The app is too stupid to automatically orient the video correctly.

Quick Reply: Video track app