Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Is there a VSS aka Speed Sensor wire in 2011 Cayman to connect to Pioneer Avic 8200?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 03:10 PM
seemyad
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is there a VSS aka Speed Sensor wire in 2011 Cayman to connect to Pioneer Avic 8200?

I just had a Pioneer AVIC 8200 NEX radio/nav system installed in my 2011 Cayman (with BOSE). The sound quality is a great improvement and I finally have a rear-view camera.

Anyway, there is a feature (or two) that require the unit to be connected to a speed sensing signal wire (such as automatic sound level - ASL). I do not have 100% confidence in the knowledge of the shop that installed the unit.

Can someone tell me once and for all if there is a connection in my car that can give the Pioneer 8200 nex a VSS speed sensing signal? Some have stated it cannot be done because the car sends the signal via fiber-optic data link (or something to this effect).

Thank you for your input.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:06 PM
audioman79
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like a nice setup.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:08 PM
audioman79
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much did the headunit and camera install cost?
Old 02-07-2018, 03:01 PM
seemyad
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by audioman79
How much did the headunit and camera install cost?
Hard to say because I purchased the camera and two amps there as well. My best guess for installation plus the amps was around $2400 - $2800. One amp drives the speakers while the other drives the sub woofer. They fit under the passenger seat where the Bose amp was. The price cited above does not include the cost for the head unit

I purchased the head unit on sale for $900+ at Best Buy (normally $1300 at the time). You also have to purchase the mounting kit and harnesses. I think Alpine or Kenwood are also great (if not better) options. They cost a bit more. My Unit price has gone down since purchase. I don't like the navigation on my Pioneer AVIC 8201 but it does work well. I use navigation a lot so that feature is fairly important to me. The camera was $250. Looks 100% stock. Looks like a half-moon hanging down above the rear license plate.

Sound quality is night and day. Great improvement. Can tell better speakers would be even nicer but I've spent about all I intend to on the system. Make sure they mount the GPS antenna outside the cabin under the plastic cover that is over the windshield wiper motors. GPS never loses signal there.

Quick Reply: Is there a VSS aka Speed Sensor wire in 2011 Cayman to connect to Pioneer Avic 8200?