Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Rear speakers and rear subs really quiet

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 02:01 PM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Rear speakers and rear subs really quiet

Need some help with new to me Porsche.
2008 997 Turbo with factory Bose. Overall disappointed in the Bose system. Sounds dull with a lot of tin. Searched the forums and found lots of info for upgrading speakers in front, but couldn't find anything about the rear speakers and subs.

Aftermarket head unit installed (alpine).
I think the rest (speakers, amp) is stock.

The front sounds overall ok for the Bose system once I adjusted the EQ etc but the back has barely any sound coming from it.
If I adjust the fade to rear only no sound comes out. Rear speakers and subs behind rear seats work if the fade is center, but they are both really quiet and I have to crawl back there to tell if they are working, unless my hearing is that bad. I want a more uniform sound rather then just everything up front. I'll probably end up updating the speakers in the front but want to fix what's hugely lacking in the rear first as that's most noticeable. Thoughts or ideas to increase the rear volume and getting the fade to work properly?
Thanks! Also better replacing speakers or updating amp in the long run?
Old 11-28-2017, 05:23 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Suspect something is wrong with the non OEM installation. You should have equal EQ from back to front and the sub should not be on the fader. It should be controlled separately from the head unit.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:02 PM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Forgot this thread was still open. Found out the factory bose amp with an aftermarket head unit doesn’t allow fade control at all. So if you go aftermarket head unit set your face before replacing the pcm.
I ended up going to an alpine amp and pulled the stock amp, cd changed, and nav unit.
Sounds much better then stock.

Quick Reply: Rear speakers and rear subs really quiet