Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

2004 996 stereo/ fiber optics conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 04:15 PM
Eric Olson
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 996 stereo/ fiber optics conundrum

Hi all! I recently purchased 2004 911 996 CS4 ( with non-Bose stereo system). I tried having a local car stereo business install a Pioneer deck with ApplePlay, but much to my surprise he called me to say he couldn't do the job because all the wiring was fiber optics. Has anybody else had this problem and solved it (especially in the Seattle area)? All I want to do is put in a deck that is Bluetooth capable to play audio from my iPhone... I'd even settle for a deck that only has a hardwire auxiliary port. Any help is appreciated!
Old 11-22-2017, 02:04 PM
clayhound
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever get clarification on this problem?
Old 11-23-2017, 08:11 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

The problem is he needs to take the car to a local shop that has a bit more experience/knowledge when it comes to European platforms.

Around 2002, Porsche adopted technology from a fiber-optic system call MOST - Media Oriented Systems Transport. The design allowed complex information to travel from one electrical component to another without the need for proprietary wiring, only a simple send/receive fiber line. The issue the OP is running into is that the factory amplifier communicated with the factory radio over this MOST communication. and since no aftermarket radio uses that tech, the two are incompatible.

In this situation(specifically with the 996) the amplifier needs to be replaced with an appropriate aftermarket. You'll end up investing more than you might otherwise, but if it's done right you'll also get a better sounding and more reliable long-term solution. If you're still iso a solution, send me an email. We're about 3 hours south of the Seattle area, but worth the drive if you're after a quality execution. nick.akin@musicarnw.com
Old 11-28-2017, 01:28 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Those who choose to do a non OEM head unit with the MOST system usually wind up pulling out the Porsche amp and head unit and wire up using a non OEM amp!

Quick Reply: 2004 996 stereo/ fiber optics conundrum