PCCB Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 10:30 AM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default PCCB Brake Pads

Hey guys,

I'm about to buy the parts for doing a brake pad replacement and I got a quote from Porsche and it was surprising to say the least

My understanding was that you'd buy the pads and then the wear indicators too. Then when I did more research, people were saying that they didn't buy the wear indicators because the rule of thumb is changing your pads at 50% so they typically don't have the indicators connected. So that left me with just pads which was going to be around $700-$800 but what are these "As Damping Panel" and why do I need 18 of them? Are they necessary or can I just do 4 brake pads?
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2017, 11:41 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

I dont have PCCBs, but if they are similar to steel brakes the damping panel is what the brake pad sticks to; it then sticks into the caliper.

On my steelies I just used a spatula to carefully peel it away from the old pad and then stuck it on to the new pad. On steel brakes I cant see a need to replace these unless you just really want to. Not sure if they would have any different characteristics on PCCBs..

Good luck..
Old 07-04-2017, 05:07 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

That's very good price for PCCB pads. Can you PM me where you get the parts from? I am also in the market for new pads. Thanks
Old 07-04-2017, 07:45 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gotgolf52
That's very good price for PCCB pads. Can you PM me where you get the parts from? I am also in the market for new pads. Thanks
Sonnen Porsche in CA.

http://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.com/

ALso, looking at the dampers, it looks like there is one per piston on the front calipers.. I would imagine you can just pop it out and re-use them.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:20 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Ordered just the brake pads and it was a "cheap" $877.45 out the door ($797.10 4 pads, $14.59 shipping, $65.76 tax).

I've never done a brake job before but plan to follow this video as it seems pretty straight forward.

If you guys have any tips/tricks, open to hearing it all!
Old 07-20-2017, 03:14 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by HardHitter

If you guys have any tips/tricks, open to hearing it all!
You'll need to remove the rear calipers...you should buy new bolts as per Porsche.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:27 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Tarett make a stud kit to avoid the risk of stripping the uprights (which has happened to mine on one corner). I'm intending to get this so I can easily swap track pads in and out.
http://www.tarett.com/items/986-987-...csk-detail.htm
Old 07-20-2017, 11:59 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
You'll need to remove the rear calipers...you should buy new bolts as per Porsche.
You have to remove the caliper for the rear brake pad replacement?
Old 07-22-2017, 01:33 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, unlike a 996 the 997 required unbolting the caliper. Once free it's pretty easy to slip the old out and new pads in, just mind the sensors.
Be very careful, if you've never done a brake job before it's easy to damage the rotor.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:31 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Yes, unlike a 996 the 997 required unbolting the caliper. Once free it's pretty easy to slip the old out and new pads in, just mind the sensors.
Be very careful, if you've never done a brake job before it's easy to damage the rotor.
Yes, seeing how I have PCCB, I will be extra careful. It will be a learning experience. No rush to get it done, but one should be able to do the basic maintenance.

Thanks for the tips! Anymore are appreciated
Old 07-22-2017, 03:23 PM
vettenomore
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did brake job on all four corners on my car last year. I 'm embarrassed to say that I spent almost as much time trying to get the wear sensors in place as I did changing out pads!
Old 07-30-2017, 11:07 AM
HardHitter
Racer

So I spoke to a local shop just to see what they are quoting. They said it'd take about 1.25 hour per axel at $163 an hour so looking at around $400ish. I told him I have the pads and he asked if I had the wear sensors, bolts and dampers. I asked if you could go about just using the old ones and he recommended the parts.

He said the wear sensors will always break when pulling them out, so I'll need to replace them.
He said per Porsche specs, you should replace the caliper bolt due to their high torque
He didn't really say much on the dampers, but I've seen plenty of people re-use them

In my opinion, if I'm not even going to be using the sensors, are they necessary to buy brand new ones? I'll look into the caliper bolts.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:08 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

When I went thru this exercise last year for the rear brakes on my non-PCCB car, I bought genuine Porsche pads and caliper bolts. I was okay going aftermarket on the wear sensors.. Once you look at them closely you realise there is not much to them.. I got mine from Amazon for about half of what Porsche wanted.

If I had to do it over again, I'd prob skip replacing the wear sensors (I managed to get mine out without damaging them?) and just re-use the old ones. I *did* replace the caliper bolt, and I reused the dampers.

Good luck.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:03 PM
thatonealex
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are people's thoughts on not reinstalling front dampers?

In the workshop manual it says:

"With the introduction of modified brake pads - Pagid P40-3 - the brake-piston damping plates are no longer used." -- Source

"Do not fit brake-piston damping plates if you are using the modified brake pads (Pagid P40-3)!" -- Source

My pads come in tomorrow, installing over the weekend. I also purchased the bolts and the threaded rods to safely install the rims without damaging the rotors. Thanks for the tip on Sonnen, so far they have been a pleasure to deal with .
Old 07-30-2017, 07:16 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

^Some pads (aftermarket Hawk for example) have no provision for the dampers so you don't use them. All they do is prevent squeal, and there are lots of ways to do that.

Quick Reply: PCCB Brake Pads