Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

these prices are unreal
Old 07-31-2017, 03:05 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
All they do is prevent squeal, and there are lots of ways to do that.
Such as...mine squeal a little
Old 08-02-2017, 08:56 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Brake parts assembly grease, slather it on the back side of the pads, spray rotors with brake cleaner spray to get rid of residual brake dust in holes etc.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:09 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Brake parts assembly grease, slather it on the back side of the pads, spray rotors with brake cleaner spray to get rid of residual brake dust in holes etc.
Brake assembly grease between the brake pad backing plate and metal shim or on the metal shim where the pistons touch?
Old 08-03-2017, 12:28 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Pagid RSC1 pads aren't much more $ than stock and offer another performance option.

Front

Rear

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 08-03-2017, 12:31 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
The Pagid RSC1 pads aren't much more $ than stock and offer another performance option.

Front

Rear
Are these harder on the rotors?
Old 08-03-2017, 12:38 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Are these harder on the rotors?
Heat is the primary cause of PCCB wear...more heat, more wear no matter what kind of pad you use. RSC1 will have a higher friction level than a stock pad but brake usage duration should go down. In normal street driving I'm not sure you'd notice much of a difference. Pagid makes up to 3 versions of the RSC pads with RSC1 being the least aggressive. It's been VERY popular.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:30 PM
thatonealex
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I did the pad change this weekend, time for a little writeup .

All in all it was pretty easy, no real skill required. Just be careful and use the guide pins (99957107430) to safely remove the rims. I took my time as it was the first time doing it but next time I think I could do it in 2hrs or less.

There weren't any dampeners present (front or rear) and I didn't place them either. The new pads were Porsche OEM and labeled as Pagid P40-3FF, I measured them at 11mm. The rears were down to 4mm and were showing the brass rivets, the fronts were at 8mm with minor surface cracking. I don't know if these are original pads, if they are then they have 50k km on them. Decided to replace all round as I had already purchased them and will save the fronts incase I need them in the future.

A pad spreader is not needed. To get the old pads out I used a small bar clamp to spread them (search "mini ratchet bar clamps"). To put the new pads in, the pistons have to be all the way in. The pistons are all connected so when you push one back another comes back out a bit. I had no trouble getting them all flush with two of those clamps and my thumbs.

I bought new rear caliper bolts, do not use loctite, just torque to spec. When removing the bolted pin on the front calipers that hold the pads in place I did see there previously was green loctite. I cleaned them up and torqued them to spec, I did not reapply loctite as the service manual doesn't indicate it.

I replaced wear sensors but they are very easy to get out. If you want to save them take the pads out with the sensors in place then wiggle them out with a small flathead.

Only part I struggled with the was the rear retaining clip . It was hard to get back in and space was tight. After much swearing I found its super easy to do if you just put one side in place then give the other side a good tap with a hammer and brass rod. Removing the front clips is easy if you tap the clip with a rubber hammer while you're pulling out the pin, same with reassembly.

A dealer quoted me €2500 and my indy €2200 (although included in their quote were €300 worth of dampeners which aren't required) and I purchased parts from Sonnen for ~€900 + €250 import taxes/duties. So a fun afternoon and lots of savings, I think I'm hooked on DIY .
Old 08-06-2017, 09:25 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

my front pads reading 5 mm and the rear is 7 mm, the question is "do I must change all four corners or can I just replace the front pads?"
I am afraid the new pads are much thicker upfront (11 mm) vs the rear pads (7 mm), would that impact braking performance or cause any uneven damages down the line? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:48 AM
pc620
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thatonealex

All in all it was pretty easy, no real skill required. Just be careful and use the guide pins (99957107430) to safely remove the rims. I took my time as it was the first time doing it but next time I think I could do it in 2hrs or less.

There weren't any dampeners present (front or rear) and I didn't place them either. The new pads were Porsche OEM and labeled as Pagid P40-3FF, I measured them at 11mm. The rears were down to 4mm and were showing the brass rivets, the fronts were at 8mm with minor surface cracking. I don't know if these are original pads, if they are then they have 50k km on them. Decided to replace all round as I had already purchased them and will save the fronts incase I need them in the future.

A pad spreader is not needed. To get the old pads out I used a small bar clamp to spread them (search "mini ratchet bar clamps"). To put the new pads in, the pistons have to be all the way in. The pistons are all connected so when you push one back another comes back out a bit. I had no trouble getting them all flush with two of those clamps and my thumbs.

I bought new rear caliper bolts, do not use loctite, just torque to spec. When removing the bolted pin on the front calipers that hold the pads in place I did see there previously was green loctite. I cleaned them up and torqued them to spec, I did not reapply loctite as the service manual doesn't indicate it.

I replaced wear sensors but they are very easy to get out. If you want to save them take the pads out with the sensors in place then wiggle them out with a small flathead.

Only part I struggled with the was the rear retaining clip . It was hard to get back in and space was tight. After much swearing I found its super easy to do if you just put one side in place then give the other side a good tap with a hammer and brass rod. Removing the front clips is easy if you tap the clip with a rubber hammer while you're pulling out the pin, same with reassembly.

A dealer quoted me €2500 and my indy €2200 (although included in their quote were €300 worth of dampeners which aren't required) and I purchased parts from Sonnen for ~€900 + €250 import taxes/duties. So a fun afternoon and lots of savings, I think I'm hooked on DIY .
I just replaced my front pads using the same pads as yours. I paid $477 from SUNCOAST MOTORSPORTS. Though my first time DIY - things went smoothly other than one damaged wear sensor but still works (new one on order to be replaced in future).

Yes, no dampeners required here on these calipers.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:24 AM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have the part number for the rear caliper bolt? I'm going to need to buy them for my brake job.

Thanks for the write up!
Old 08-31-2017, 05:51 AM
thatonealex
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep the bolts are 999.067.040.01
Old 08-31-2017, 12:53 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Yep the bolts are 999.067.040.01
Thank you very much! Only need to order 2 yes?
Old 08-31-2017, 01:19 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HardHitter
Thank you very much! Only need to order 2 yes?
2 per caliper so 4 total if you're doing both rears.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:36 AM
HardHitter
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
2 per caliper so 4 total if you're doing both rears.
Here is where I am going to buy from. Based on the diagram it only shows 1 per side?

https://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.co...lt-99906704001

Quick Reply: PCCB Brake Pads