Sponsored by:

997.2 Turbo S oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 07:03 PM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 997.2 Turbo S oil change question

Quick question for you guys. Does our 2011 Turbo S have just the main drain for the oil or does the sump need to be drained as well? I'm concerned about the oil level after changing it and putting in just under 7 quarts and it's indicating it's already full??

Thoughts?
Thanks.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:21 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Did you replace the oil filter? Not too familiar with the DFI motor, but keep in mind you have oil in the turbos with their drain boxes as well as the filter console. It's unlikely you can drain ALL of the oil using only the main drain.

If the dash gauge says full, it's full.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:28 PM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Yes, we changed the filter, all of which is very easy. All the literature and online info indicates a capacity of 7.9 quarts. I'm just surprised I cannot find anything specific as to whether or not to drain anything else. I called 4 Porsche dealers, two said drain only the main one and two said drain sump as well.....not overly helpful.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:03 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Have you ever thought of signing on to PIWIS TSI (google it) and downloading the workshop manual for the car? It's $14.95 per 1 hour to download and view.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:11 AM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

It just has the main drain but you want make sure the engine has been warmed up and then let it it sit and drain for at least 30 minutes.

Walt
Old 06-27-2017, 11:22 AM
RJKflyer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always wondered how you ever really get a decent and full change given the oil sitting in the cooler loop to the front of the car.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:51 PM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Uodate:
So today we drained about 1.5qts, let it warm up, same "full" reading. I'm thinking the sensor is malfunctioning. There's no way it's right. I have a message into my local dealer. Luckily is still under warranty (CPO).
Old 07-04-2017, 11:22 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbwb
Uodate:
So today we drained about 1.5qts, let it warm up, same "full" reading. I'm thinking the sensor is malfunctioning. There's no way it's right. I have a message into my local dealer. Luckily is still under warranty (CPO).
With the the DFI engine the drain time is one hour. The engine should be warm, warm enough to check the oil level before starting the procedure.

The oil is drained for one hour. I do not know if the 997 Turbo has more than one drain. But if you are going to drain the oil you need to know. (The 996 Turbo has 4 drain points: Oil tank; crankcase; and both turbos. About 75% of the total amout of oil drained comes from the oil tank. The crankcase will have 1+ liter of oil. The amount of oil drained from the turbos is measured by a table spoon.)

Anyhow, after a one hour drain from whatever drains there are a specific amount of oil is added to the engine then the engine is started and allowed to run until an oil level check can be made. This check then is to confirm the oil level measuring system in the car is working properly and the level it reports agrees with the known amount of oil that was added to the engine. The oil guns in the service bay have a readout that shows how much oil was dispensed so the tech knows how much oil he added to the engine.

My advice is you need to get the car to the dealer and the oil drained overnight then the proper amount of oil added to the engine -- there is a one hour drain interval and refill amount and an overnight drain and refill amount -- and the oil level measuring system check to be sure it is working correctly.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:12 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when I did mine recently the oil was hot, I had the rear wheels up on ramps, drained it for about 30min from the pan plug, and on refill it took almost 9.5qts.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Turbo S oil change question