Sponsored by:

Modification "etiquette"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 03:55 AM
dbeck84
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Modification "etiquette"?

At a gas station Ill spend just as much time looking at a 94 Supra with 100k in mods as a 1973 911 RS - original to the day it was born. I mention these two particular cars because certain cars because from a visual / performance perspective, to me look unfinished in stock form. Almost all the great early 90s imports from Japan - 300z, 3000GT, Supra, Rx7, NSX - Compared to what was available in 87 these moved the needle dramatically, were intended for mass production so marketing and engineering departments met in the middle. I like seeing someone bring out their idea of what it could have been

On the other side there are cars that are just perfect. 32 Bugatti Atlantic Type C, first gen 911's - visually some things are just perfect and need to be preserved as is for future generations to appreciate.

I like and have made slight changes to every car Ive owned. Mostly personalizing them - Wheels within factory spec, tint, find the easy power gains, and try to modernize some items while retaining its stock form - streaming audio, halogen to LED when simple change of bulbs. When I bought my TT I told myself I wouldn't touch it. I loved everything about it and for a while even areas i knew it could be better i good and bad = genuine character And then I got the itch...Done ok keeping things in check (list of mods below) but something has me exploring everything on the market. Put serious thought into
1) replace dated PCM 2.1 with a modified Pioneer touch unit to retain car functions 2) Europipe exhaust, Intake Plenum, intercoolers and maybe upgrade the turbos then retune. Dont know why as its i cant think of moments where i am driving and think - i could really use something faster.
3) no reason to be considering (upgraded gauges since the factory ones are not very bright, finding a more usable insert for the sport chrono dash timer (even if doing nothing why cant that be backlit when the headlights are on?) Suede 3 spoke d shape racing wheel, either carbon fiber or black leather with red stitching interior inserts. Telling myself constantly - most of this list is a waste of money, hurts resale and makes it different but not better.

Where do you draw the line? You dont see this much with Porsche but Mustangs and Corvettes the number of cars claiming to be the GT, or Z06 with all the badges and body effects but nothing under the hood - i put this in the same category as a Fierro with a Ferrari body kit. Then, ill see a GT3 wing on a Turbo or a full blow body kit on a base model with as many scoops, vents, and i know aero effects that have no impact on its aero but for that moment I will really like it. I dont think im alone - most seem to be here because they love the heritage behind the badge but are also here because we love cars in general and that goes hand in hand with the need to tinker with our toys.
So without the intent of offending anyone, do what you want but I have established a strange code with this car that i never applied to another - updates that to 99.9% of people think it was a factory option. Any 911 enthusiast could spot from 50 yards - 997.1 TT, not 996 with 30k in upgrades, not a .1 trying to be a .2 - Personal with respect to the pedigree.

Wondering why Im even caring about this, why seeing others work on only this car will actually annoy me for the next hour or consider it myself. 11 cars without a care but what i thought it needed and then I buy this and feel there is a certain degree of what's acceptable and what's taking a Sharpe to a Picasso. Im sure hardliners both ways but bored on a friday night and wondering if anyone else is dealing with such a stupid self inflicted ethical quandary. Somewhat hoping this get a universal - silence. then ill know i need to go back to work or something because im thinking way too much about things that clearly could be more productively applied.

What ive been able to justify:
- Black OZ Racing rims with factory Porsche center caps
- LED interior upgrade and individual DRL corner bulb but not the whole 991 update.
- ETG Tune
- Dension gateway for streaming / calling
- Tint and factory exhaust tips sprayed carbon black. Intended to upgrade and was tired of cleaning the chrome ones post tune.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:14 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I kinda agree with your sentiments. I added Champion rims, FVD tune, exhaust, don't feel the need to add LED's, have the OEM bluetooth interface. Got Fabspeed black chrome exhaust tips over a year ago but they are still in the bubble wrap they came in, and sorta thinking about just selling them.

I have a 356 and though not a purist (repro parts are fine with me, just want it to be a "standard" looking nice driver), the original look is worth keeping. The 356 I almost bought 50 years ago had a "C" badge that was not appropriate for the year (only came on later year models), and I still feel like it was a cheater badge and didn't like it (but wish I had bought it!).

Got no problems with your short list.

The one I let get away ...
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2017, 12:42 PM
cakM3
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

First of all, I want start by saying that I'm not trying to start any kind of argument regarding ethics of modding...

I would say from a modding point of view that there will always be people out there who won't agree with what has been done to a car. Speaking for myself, when modding if you can keep the car looking clean then you're probably doing okay. I don't think people mod with the intention of improving resale of their cars but rather, they mod to enjoy the various aspects of their car after modding them.

Some mods work out perfectly whereas others do not. It is a trial and error thing and a "process of improvement" taken on by various owners with many levels of income. I for one don't mod worrying what others will say but choose to mod according to my vision for the car with the ultimate goal of keeping my car looking clean, of course. Just had to put my thoughts on this...
Old 06-27-2017, 12:57 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

I am a hopeless modder and usually mod the **** out of my cars. The '07 turbo is no exception, soon to go under the knife with a built engine and bigger turbos.

Don't much do the cosmetic stuff mainly because I like performance.

100% agreed with your thoughts. Hey, it's your car and last time I checked I wasn't paying for it and neither was anyone else. Enjoy!
Old 06-27-2017, 01:56 PM
HellaHashTags
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've modified every other car I've had, and this is the first car I've had where I feel that there's very little room for improvement.

Suspension can be changed to make it more corner-friendly, but then I'd ruin the daily drivability of it.

More power can easily be had, but I barely get any opportunities to put the go pedal down to the floor for more than one second at a time anyway - the car is plenty fast for a street car.

The looks are classic and I wouldn't want to change it with any aftermarket add-ons or any OEM GT parts (this is a Turbo, not a GT#.).

So I'm at an odd and new place with the car where I don't really want to mod it. I've added a DSC box to get some minor improvements in handling with minimal sacrifice, I've gotten a Sharkwerkz exhaust to alleviate some of the vacuum sound, but I'm not really planning out what I'm going to do next. Maybe a nice set of BBS wheels + Michelin tires when the current PS2's run out.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:07 PM
dbeck84
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I wouldn't give.......ANY original 356 that is an authentic driver. Brings a whole side discussion but with the prices going far beyond my means I've thought about the Beck speedsters (last name no affiliation). At the price I would feel compelled to actually use it, justify something that wont see many miles and get a most of the same enjoyment as the original. That said, though it is not claiming to be an original its a replica - maybe if I had no Porsche badging and some custom Beck speedster logos instead. Maybe just me, bust I have replicas but these are tying, very humbly to replicate something that is so special for some reason I don't care they make them and I love seeing them about. Ties into these strange theme of there is obviously a clear standard of standards that we most adhere to but cant really say where the line starts or stops. I expected far more hardliners to respond but likely indicative of the forum, mostly people who come here because they do their own work, modify their cars and seek out others of like minds. I dont know if an official PCA event would reflect the same numbers.

Quick Reply: Modification "etiquette"?