Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 vs. 997.2 - Now after a few years?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:36 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Default 997.1 vs. 997.2 - Now after a few years?

This was discussed back when 997.2 was introduced. Essentially, I believe the consensus was that 997.1 engine was more mod friendly and could take more boost and power, while 997.2 had better suspension, better more performance oriented AWD and the addition of PDK.

Now since a few years have gone by, what's the verdict now? Is 997.2 a better buy these days over .1? Or the savings worth it? Also, which of the two could have a better exhaust note? Being muffled by Turbos!
Old 06-21-2017, 11:34 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Now since a few years have gone by, what's the verdict now? Is 997.2 a better buy these days over .1? Or the savings worth it?
It just depends who you ask. 50% will say one thing and the other 50% will say something else. It's really all up to you, what you want, after driving both cars. There's too many variables to say one is a better deal, the better buy, the better bet than the other. It's totally subjective.

For me, I had to have an automatic this time after driving 2 911's for 18 years with a clutch. I have a bad knee and traffic here is mostly bumper to bumper 24/7. The tiptronic didn't appeal to me as much as the PDK but if I couldn't afford a 2011-13 PDK Turbo S, I would have happily bought a 2007-2008 Tiptronic and wouldn't have looked back.

Luckily my income was up the last 4 years so I could finally afford a 2012. SO HAPPY I could do this since it's the most amazing car ever (to me) and the PDK is so great. I'm totally, utterly biased.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:49 AM
05Mdriver
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

^^

That front bumper looks off..

The .2 is definitely louder in stock trim.. and I personally prefer the .1 rear vs the .2, however both are glorious cars !
Old 06-22-2017, 03:15 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Thanks... how's the 997.2 TT engine holding up? I know it's not Mezger, hence won't be as good on track. But how does DFI doing? Any carbon deposits? Any other challenges over the last few year?

I personally love the look of 997.2 and specially the wheels, better suspension and dynamic engine mounts, etc... but love to have Mezger engine.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:40 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

If you prefer a manual I would go for the Mezger 997/1.

The appeal is massive, not only from a technical standpoint but also from a historical view. It's something that will only grow over time. It's an epic engine and this makes the 'last mezger' turbo desirable.

That being said, the DFI is a great engine too. it's 'generic', not as special but it works. And keeps on working. Very few catastrophic failures. A great car to own. DFI manual is extremely rare making it too a strong candidate for desirability.

If you prefer a 2 pedal car I would go for PDK, so 997/2.

Regarding suspension, with a DSC box which is plug an play, the 997/1 becomes equally good as the /2
You could argue the stock springs are different between /1 and /2 and that is true but most people lower the car anyway. And be it H&R, Eibach or Techart, etc. They all have the same set for /1 and /2. No difference.

I know the 2008 model, when launched, drove different, better, than the previous year. For 2009 again software changes were made. I was told these updates were up-loaded when a car went in for service bringing older cars to the same standards and parameters.

There is simply no wrong choice. We always refer to /1 and /2 but in the end they both are a 997. The prettiest 911 ever
Old 06-22-2017, 04:50 PM
HellaHashTags
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was discussed back when 997.2 was introduced. Essentially, I believe the consensus was that 997.1 engine was more mod friendly and could take more boost and power, while 997.2 had better suspension, better more performance oriented AWD and the addition of PDK.

Now since a few years have gone by, what's the verdict now? Is 997.2 a better buy these days over .1? Or the savings worth it? Also, which of the two could have a better exhaust note? Being muffled by Turbos!
I think both the 997.1 and 997.2 both have their merits.

The .1 owners can enjoy the iconic Mezger engine and you're also getting tremendous value for the money (.1's trade for $10K-$30K less than comparable .2's.).

The .2 owners can enjoy having the last manual Turbo ever made (if you have the patience to wait for one of the 488 units to come on the market) and also have a powertrain which has been reliable and just as responsive to simple mods.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:02 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 80 Posts

They are all great cars. Here's my new incoming license plate by the way... I love my .1 and the Mezger platform and heritage for sure, but honestly I couldn't have afforded a .2 anyway when I bought this in 2014. The jump up for a comparable .2 MT car was still $25-35K then.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:11 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

^ Like that one.. Mine's in my avatar..
Old 06-22-2017, 07:27 PM
Southpaw
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're buying a name and must have the manual, go with the .1. Also many many more produced so you can get them for much cheaper. The sheer numbers produced and the time it's been around also makes them thoroughly researched and developed. Mezger owners will always have strength in numbers so when these posts occur, you'll hear a lot about how they're better (something I noticed in my own research). Personally, I wouldn't buy something just for a name but many people love throwing the name around. To each their own.

Whoever said the DFI is "generic", what else is that exact motor in which makes it so "generic"? Sure there are other versions of it but this specific engine is only in the 997.2 turbo. Just like there are other versions of the Mezger (such as in the 996 turbo).

The 9A1 engine has proven to be very reliable, no coolant pipe issues or spun camshaft issues etc.. They're much faster with much less mods but that's also attributed to the PDK. They can be made insanely fast with just basic mods where a 997.1 will need aftermarket turbos just to keep up with a mild bolt-on 997.2.

If you're after a name, don't care about going fast, need a manual, and want to save money, the 997.1 is a no-brainer. It's a FANTASTIC car.

If you want something a bit more updated, faster, more reliable, and don't mind spending more for this, go for the 997.2.

As for exhaust note, the 997.2 is louder in stock form but when modded with aftermarket exhaust, my 997.1 was louder and had a better tone. I had a GMG exhaust on my .1 and it sounds better than my .2 with Sharkwerks exhaust.

Choose what's best for YOU, both are fantastic choices and have their own advantages. We're all lucky to have 2 choices in the 997 trim

Last edited by Southpaw; 06-23-2017 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:05 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

.1 has a dry sump, did .2?
Old 06-23-2017, 09:47 AM
Southpaw
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeRed
.1 has a dry sump, did .2?
Integrated dry sump... dry sump..wet sump.. What's it matter when there are very few engine failures at the track? Regardless of which dry sump technology, the end game is reliable track performance, right?

And how many drivers actually drive these cars to that limit where one technology is a much have?
Old 06-23-2017, 03:21 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys... now as follow-up, I now have a 2007 C4S, and like to upgrade. 991 NEVER interested me, it's simply too large, and too much electronic. I also like to have a Mezger engine or sold engine that will last for a long time. Will be tracking the car, but it won't be a track machine.

Most importantly, I'd like to buy one to keep for 10yrs minimum. So, not sure which of the options would be best for long term?
Old 06-23-2017, 03:50 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT-911

I know the 2008 model, when launched, drove different, better, than the previous year. For 2009 again software changes were made. I was told these updates were up-loaded when a car went in for service bringing older cars to the same standards and parameters.
Is that true? I almost bought a 2009 which is the last year of Mezger, has the Software, and specially the AWD rear-bias was changed in 2009 models via Software updates?
Old 06-23-2017, 08:54 PM
1010THs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this month's Total 911 print edition has this same discussion. They pointed to the PDK as a reason to get the .2 and acknowledged the tremendous value in the .1. They even compared a modified .1 against a .2tts

All great cars although I sold my 09tt 6mt a month ago so my opinion is dated
Old 06-23-2017, 09:12 PM
hot nikon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Southpaw
If you're buying a name and must have the manual, go with the .1. Also many many more produced so you can get them for much cheaper. The sheer numbers produced and the time it's been around also makes them thoroughly researched and developed. Mezger owners will always have strength in numbers so when these posts occur, you'll hear a lot about how they're better (something I noticed in my own research). Personally, I wouldn't buy something just for a name but many people love throwing the name around. To each their own.

Whoever said the DFI is "generic", what else is that exact motor in which makes it so "generic"? Sure there are other versions of it but this specific engine is only in the 997.2 turbo. Just like there are other versions of the Mezger (such as in the 996 turbo).

The 9A1 engine has proven to be very reliable, no coolant pipe issues or spun camshaft issues etc.. They're much faster with much less mods but that's also attributed to the PDK. They can be made insanely fast with just basic mods where a 997.1 will need aftermarket turbos just to keep up with a mild bolt-on 997.2.

If you're after a name, don't care about going fast, need a manual, and want to save money, the 997.1 is a no-brainer. It's a FANTASTIC car.

If you want something a bit more updated, faster, more reliable, and don't mind spending more for this, go for the 997.2.

As for exhaust note, the 997.2 is louder in stock form but when modded with aftermarket exhaust, my 997.1 was louder and had a better tone. I had a GMG exhaust on my .1 and it sounds better than my .2 with Sharkwerks exhaust.

Choose what's best for YOU, both are fantastic choices and have their own advantages. We're all lucky to have 2 choices in the 997 trim
I laughed at "generic" as well.

Quick Reply: 997.1 vs. 997.2 - Now after a few years?