Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 vs. 997.2 - Now after a few years?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:35 AM
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

^ you keep repeating the same things over and over. we get it, the 997.2 is a nice car. if you can afford the price difference and you like PDK go for it. if you like manual and Mezger get a .1, it's not far off in terms of performance. regardless, you have a great car either way. pretty simple comparison imo.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:25 AM
jazzwu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
DFI doesn't have the spun camshaft issues or the coolant pipe leaks IIRC... I'm 1 for 2 for those on my Mezger. I've driven both cars and if I had the cash I would have gone 997.2 6MT if I could have.

Stock .2's are stupid loud, My loud BBI exhaust is on par with a .2 at WOT. Then again I haven't been behind my car at WOT, just a .2. I was just shocked how loud it was.
You did hear mine that one time if you're referring to me. What's Up! How are you? Long time no see or talk!
Old 06-29-2017, 10:33 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzwu
You did hear mine that one time if you're referring to me. What's Up! How are you? Long time no see or talk!
yeah man yours is loud! Even Keith was surprised. Things are good, my exhaust is coming off this weekend and going quieter with Kline! Can't wait to try something new.

Btw moving to Philly in August. Def come to the C&C at Porsche Princeton Saturday, July 8 at 9 AM - 12 PM. Think me and Keith are going
Old 06-29-2017, 10:40 AM
jazzwu
Advanced

yeah man yours is loud! Even Keith was surprised. Things are good, my exhaust is coming off this weekend and going quieter with Kline! Can't wait to try something new.

Btw moving to Philly in August. Def come to the C&C at Porsche Princeton Saturday, July 8 at 9 AM - 12 PM. Think me and Keith are going
Sounds great! Will definitely try to make it! Quieter set up now? My shop that I go to does specialize in Kline products for good prices. Let me know if you want to try them out. Its AIM performance in South Plainfield not far from us.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:43 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Sounds great! Will definitely try to make it! Quieter set up now? My shop that I go to does specialize in Kline products for good prices. Let me know if you want to try them out. Its AIM performance in South Plainfield not far from us.
yes quieter, i'm over loud exhausts. Already received it, so just gotta install it. Too late now Got them from Sam by Design.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:00 AM
jazzwu
Advanced

yes quieter, i'm over loud exhausts. Already received it, so just gotta install it. Too late now Got them from Sam by Design.
Nice. Sam is amazing from what I heard. Well if you need a shop to do the install AIM is great haha.

anyway sorry OP didn't mean to thread derail or go off topic.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:08 AM
Southpaw
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
^ you keep repeating the same things over and over. we get it, the 997.2 is a nice car. if you can afford the price difference and you like PDK go for it. if you like manual and Mezger get a .1, it's not far off in terms of performance. regardless, you have a great car either way. pretty simple comparison imo.
My apologies if I'm repetitive.. Directed at two different people. Still a lot of misinformation and when I was trying to decide for myself, I was misinformed. I'm just trying to help and make more accurate comparisons, it's best for the inquirer. I'm certainly not against the Mezger (I want a 997 GT3).
And yes, I 100% agree with you with the above statement.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:16 AM
Southpaw
Racer

Stock .2's are stupid loud, My loud BBI exhaust is on par with a .2 at WOT. Then again I haven't been behind my car at WOT, just a .2. I was just shocked how loud it was.
Yes, they're louder when stock but the tone of the Mezger is better with aftermarket exhaust...especially at WOT.

I had GMG exhaust on my 997.1 and that sounded amazing. Best sounding 911 turbo I've heard.
I'll try the GMG exhaust on my 997.2 hoping it'll sound nearly as good as my 997.1 did with it.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:55 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Southpaw
My apologies if I'm repetitive.. Directed at two different people. Still a lot of misinformation and when I was trying to decide for myself, I was misinformed. I'm just trying to help and make more accurate comparisons, it's best for the inquirer. I'm certainly not against the Mezger (I want a 997 GT3).
And yes, I 100% agree with you with the above statement.
no worries i just thought you were pretty clear the first time

a 997.2 with that Champion package the longboarder guy did is probably the best setup street weapon you could buy. it'll easily annihilate 99% of cars out there. that being said you lose some interaction with the PDK so if you prefer manual a 997.1 is probably easier to get and isn't that far off in terms of performance once you mod a bit. you're right there is some misinformation out there and fanboyism for sure, you just have to sift through it a bit.

btw, i also want a 997 GT3 but every time I drive the Turbo i think "how could i drive something slower?" but they do have us beat on sound and overall feel.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:11 PM
Southpaw
Racer

Originally Posted by 786
no worries i just thought you were pretty clear the first time

a 997.2 with that Champion package the longboarder guy did is probably the best setup street weapon you could buy. it'll easily annihilate 99% of cars out there. that being said you lose some interaction with the PDK so if you prefer manual a 997.1 is probably easier to get and isn't that far off in terms of performance once you mod a bit. you're right there is some misinformation out there and fanboyism for sure, you just have to sift through it a bit.

btw, i also want a 997 GT3 but every time I drive the Turbo i think "how could i drive something slower?" but they do have us beat on sound and overall feel.
Ideally, have these 3 at once... a 997.1 turbo for the manual turbo experience, a DFI turbo 911 (991 or 997.2) in PDK form the all out brute street annihilation, and lastly a 997 GT3 for the raw, pure 911 exhilaration...we all can dream, right?
Old 06-29-2017, 01:24 PM
Pro

haha yes sir, that would be a nice combo
Old 06-29-2017, 01:31 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Nice. Sam is amazing from what I heard. Well if you need a shop to do the install AIM is great haha.

anyway sorry OP didn't mean to thread derail or go off topic.
why spend $600-800 to have someone install it when I can spend 4 hours and install it myself
Old 06-29-2017, 02:10 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by 786

I feel the same way! Want the RS but drive home in the Turbo and love the torque. Is your suspension stock? Can't beat the RS wail but my EP does make a lovely sounds with lots of Turbo whistle, especially after the tune. At current prices, I can't see how the RS is worth twice as much.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:11 PM
white997
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Southpaw
You're not updated on the recent developments on the 997.2.
The 997.2 is not stuck at 600, ES Motor has plenty of them making more on the stock fuel system.

Putting the HP aside for one moment, can you get a 997.1 into the mid 10's on mild bolt-ons? Likely few and far between... It'll take extensive mods like aftermarket turbos etc..
Have you seen some of these roll on vids with tuned/exhaust 997.2's dismantling cars making much more power including aftermarket turbo'd 997.1's? Comparing a 997.1 and 997.2, both tuned with exhaust, there's zero comparison, the 997.2 is by far much faster on any track. I had both so I can speak of this first hand.
Champion got into the 9's on stock turbo, stock fuel in a 997.2.. You'll never see that happen with a 997.1..period.

The whole point of the thread by the OP was to get an update on the comparison. Some dated info is still passed around.
ES motor us based out of UK and build cars for middle east. How many of these ES motor cars are running here in the states? Every big HP ES motor build is........ drum roll. the Metzger duh. They are even putting metzgers in 991s abd yanking the Dfi out when they want to make big power.

I think your confusing several issues, of course the 997.2 will be quicker/faster mod wise on the track due to PDK. Both are great cars, i think we are beating a dead horse.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:51 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
I feel the same way! Want the RS but drive home in the Turbo and love the torque. Is your suspension stock? Can't beat the RS wail but my EP does make a lovely sounds with lots of Turbo whistle, especially after the tune. At current prices, I can't see how the RS is worth twice as much.
Ya, im addicted to the torque, our mid-range is so strong and that's paramount in a street car imo. My suspension is stock but not for long (it feels too soft and floaty at speed). Sound we will never win, I concede that, but as you said an exhaust and tune make a huge difference in our cars. It will never wail but it makes it's own unique cacophony.

Don't get me started on prices...

Quick Reply: 997.1 vs. 997.2 - Now after a few years?