Sponsored by:

How I paid $40 and got myself BT audio in my 997.1TT

Old 06-22-2017, 04:42 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

We have something new for this sort of application that we released in Feb for beta, now in full market. Dension created the CompactBT to alleviate the issue of vehicles not compatible with full optical integration like the 500SBT with all the features. The CompactBT is compatible with virtually every vehicle on the road, requires just power (can be connected to an Aux port if desired, but power is all that is needed) and in cases like this (Porsche w/Nav) the unit will display audio information on screen.

Unlike most other devices, the full info piece was a big achievement, and this unit uses a combination of far better modulation technology coupled with newest bluetooth chip technology for relatively good sound. Nothing like the crappy stuff from a few years back.

Originally developed for a different market (think older Honda, Toyota, etc) this unit is selling well now for those who don't want to go the full integration route even though they can, and for $110, provides streaming music and calls for the user.

INFO HERE

Not as cheap as the aforementioned device, but for those interested in a few more features and easy install and without compatibility, this fills that need.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 06-26-2017, 11:33 AM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 79 Posts

Is it still generally true with today's latest BT technology that hard-wired still sounds noticeably better?

I have the PCM3 with the aux and ipod inputs in the console...sounds fine but it is obviously less convenient to have to physically plug-in the phone each time (and my lightning adapter is short too). Also the PCM3 ipod audio display/control is slow and buggy: Occasionally it freezes when selecting tracks or loses ability to control volume.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:14 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

If you can tap the optical loop, sound is certainly going to have less loss than by wireless. But the wireless technology is far better today than five years ago. The primary problem, as many know, is that PCM 3.x does not have accessible optical to tap like 2.1 did. That is what drove some of these other solutions.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:03 PM
Greyghost230
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To those that have gone the bluetooth adaptor for streaming internet radio, does anyone show song info or anything other than the AUX cable image on the PCM?
Wondering if I went through the iPod connector instead of the AUX if there is any difference.

Spent less than the OP. $24.99 CDN at Best Buy.
http://aluratek.com/istream-universa...audio-receiver
Old 07-03-2017, 09:40 PM
Luminator
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't get the Aluratek to work in my 07 TT with Dension 500 cable which I use with an ipod mini.

It pairs with my Galaxy S7 Edge phone ok, just no workie in the car. Not sure what the problem is.

Guess I will try the compact BT above , as I am only out $18 on the other one.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

Interesting. Does it blink blue (have power) when plugged into the Dension 30pin cable and just not sync, or does it receive power and says connected but there is no sound?
Old 07-03-2017, 10:10 PM
Luminator
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

All of the above Ruskiy. Blinked fast initially until paired , then every 5 seconds once synced with my phone. Shuts off when the car is off and comes back on with ignition. Shows BT on the PCM screen, but only acts like it wants to play for 2 seconds. No sound , but I see the timer continually going 1.... 2....

Go back to ipod and it plays. Just switched out my MF wheel for a non MF paddle wheel out of a 2016 car, but I highly doubt that has anything to do with it.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:41 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

When you have the PCM in iPod mode.... do you hear a subtle blip/noise when it syncs with your phone? Listen to the iPod mini and set it to a comfortable sound level on the PCM. Then unplug the mini and plug the Aluratek in and attempt to sync. Do you hear blip/sound confirming connectivity?

Unfortunately I am an iPhone guy so can't be much of help here, but what I suggest you try it with your friend's phone and any other device that transmits BT audio.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:19 PM
ihtfp98
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered this, thanks!

Question: I also have the OEM blue tooth phone setup; does this conflict with that? I know my Iphone can be connected to various blue tooths at the same time, but which one will it prioritize? I'd rather use the OEM blue tooth for phone calls as the factory microphones work better than an iphone 6's...

Thanks again, great post

Tony

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How I paid $40 and got myself BT audio in my 997.1TT