Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine replacement 2012 997.2 turbo s

Old 06-15-2017, 10:12 PM
theodora
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default engine replacement 2012 997.2 turbo s

Engine light, repeat problem,cam actuators,and turbo actuators,finally severe misfire, felt like 3 coils shut down, winning noise, so after close examination,2 lifter bores had scratches, and engine replacement was called for,thank CPO and PNA the miles are 280000 scary price tag, of $40000 anyway i hope this is the end of it, special thanks to Mcenna Porsche in Downey cal. and the service department,they are on the ball ,i hope nobody has to go threw this. Anyone else have similar problems?
Old 06-15-2017, 11:06 PM
jazzwu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow this is a first I believe that I'm hearing about this. I just had my transmission in full replaced under CPO also. It was shifting rough in the lower gears and hard.

280,000 miles on your car? Am I reading that right??

let us know how it goes! Motor failure on a twin turbo 9A1.. hmmm
Old 06-15-2017, 11:23 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzwu
280,000 miles on your car? Am I reading that right??
Probably 28,000 miles since it's CPO...Goes to show that low miles doesn't always equal low problems. I'm glad to hear he had a warranty!

So, theodora, by "engine light, repeat problem," are you saying this issue came on over time or was it like you took it out for a drive and by the end of it you needed a new engine?
Old 06-16-2017, 02:22 PM
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

sorry to hear, glad i have a Mezger...
Old 06-16-2017, 04:04 PM
997TTEQNY
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry to hear, but glad CPO Warranty Covered it
Old 06-16-2017, 05:56 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
sorry to hear, glad i have a Mezger...
+1

glad it was all cover....thats a big bill lol
Old 06-16-2017, 06:07 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry to hear that also, hope everything work out for you. Keep us posting about why engine failed so early.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:50 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Will the OP be getting a brand new engine, or a rebuilt one?
Old 06-17-2017, 12:32 AM
tguaturbo
Banned

I had a 12 ttS for a year and an 11 ttS for 2. Loved them both so much. Amazing in every way with exception to the sound of exhaust note.

Downsized into a 997.1 TT the 3rd Metzger turbo I've owned. Love it for different reasons but still really miss my .2 ttS cars. One day maybe I'll pick one up again. Very glad you'll be back in the car soon!
Old 06-17-2017, 02:17 PM
Pro

what do you miss about the .2's that you don't have in the .1 (besides PDK)? i drove both before buying so curious as to your perception.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:54 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Good reco for CPO or aftermarket warranty. Very rare calamity but the good news is you'll get a new engine. I've had an aftermarket warranty for >4 years, only one repair, but it paid for the cost of the extended warranty.Good luck, look for your updates.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:54 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
what do you miss about the .2's that you don't have in the .1 (besides PDK)? i drove both before buying so curious as to your perception.
True that, I don't get it either. Both cars are indistinguishable from two feet away. Maybe at 4 inches with windows open? For my money, 991 Turbo if I got rid of my cam slipping, coolant dripper, sticky A/C *****, rattling sounding Mezger engine car, stupid 6 speed shifter and filament bulbs. Na I will keep it. No coolant dripper here it was all fixed.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:36 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by 786
They were both cars that I didn't feel any mods of any kind were needed. An exhaust would have been nice but the handling and performance made me forget that vacuum cleaner sound. You said besides PDK although that was a big one for me. 10.7 trapping 129 at the quarter mile always made me feel it was better than any ride at 6 flags. Even though I only launch controlled it 2 times on my first 12 TTS and never on my 11TTS because I didn't make it out to the drag strip.

I loved PTV and felt the stock suspension was solid and needed nothing. I liked kicking the rear end out with out any effort in such a controlled manner on the street from time to time. Both cars were 175k msrp cars and had nice interior finishes and adaptive sport seats. The PCCB were amazing and I guess the final love for me was the updated rear bumper cover with LED's tail lights. My second one the 11 had factory Aero Kit put on by two owners prior to me and that would have made it a higher MSRP car.

My current car with AWE 750R kit is pretty fun to and the exhaust sounds great! I'm slowly getting the look of a .2 and will be putting on a OEM front bumper cover and rear .2 cover and lights in the near future. I've also gone back to the OEM suspension with DSC and I am really liking the ride.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:10 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by atcbi5
For my money, 991 Turbo if I got rid of my cam slipping, coolant dripper, sticky A/C *****, rattling sounding Mezger engine car, stupid 6 speed shifter and filament bulbs. Na I will keep it. No coolant dripper here it was all fixed.
lol

Originally Posted by tguaturbo
They were both cars that I didn't feel any mods of any kind were needed. An exhaust would have been nice but the handling and performance made me forget that vacuum cleaner sound. You said besides PDK although that was a big one for me. 10.7 trapping 129 at the quarter mile always made me feel it was better than any ride at 6 flags. Even though I only launch controlled it 2 times on my first 12 TTS and never on my 11TTS because I didn't make it out to the drag strip.

I loved PTV and felt the stock suspension was solid and needed nothing. I liked kicking the rear end out with out any effort in such a controlled manner on the street from time to time. Both cars were 175k msrp cars and had nice interior finishes and adaptive sport seats. The PCCB were amazing and I guess the final love for me was the updated rear bumper cover with LED's tail lights. My second one the 11 had factory Aero Kit put on by two owners prior to me and that would have made it a higher MSRP car.

My current car with AWE 750R kit is pretty fun to and the exhaust sounds great! I'm slowly getting the look of a .2 and will be putting on a OEM front bumper cover and rear .2 cover and lights in the near future. I've also gone back to the OEM suspension with DSC and I am really liking the ride.
Gotcha, ya the PDK is a huge benefit, especially in day to day driving. I liked it a lot but ultimately wanted a manual to have that layer of interactivity I missed with the PDK. Either car is way overpowered for street driving anyway (imo). The updated bumpers/lights etc are nice but can easily be retrofitted onto a .1 car so it's not a huge deal. The OEM suspension was the only area I thought the car was a bit too soft/floaty feeling, especially at higher speeds. It's really comfy no doubt, but needs a touch more control imo. With that sorted its a hell of a street car imo, only thing it really lacks is sound (which can be remedied to a degree).
Old 06-27-2017, 05:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 993MAN
Will the OP be getting a brand new engine, or a rebuilt one?
Techs tell me -- and I think this is backed up by the wording in the warranty section of the manual -- it can be a new engine or a "rebuilt" engine. Up to the factory what it has on hand and what it wants to do.

The techs told me the engine -- new or "rebuilt" -- could the first engine off the assembly line or the last one though of course the odds are it will be something between those two extremes.

With other model years a "rebuilt" engine had -- at least this is my info -- an "AT" in its serial number which is an abbreviation for "austauschmotor" which is German for "replacement motor". AFAIK a new engine will just have a regular serial number.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine replacement 2012 997.2 turbo s