Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To tune it or not to tune it? Who has the best software?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 10:51 AM
Shifty1
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default To tune it or not to tune it? Who has the best software?

Hello fellow enthusiasts, I'm a fairly new member to the Porsche owners club after many years of "wanting" one I finally decided to have my midlife crisis and buy myself a 997.1 TT MT. Being one to never leave anything I own stock I was wondering what the opinions are out there as far as who has the best performance tuning software for these TT cars? There seem to me more than a handful of companies/tuners out there mentioned throughout these forums and I was hoping to get some feedback on who likes what and why.....

I'm not planning an tracking the car other than maybe once or twice just for ****s and giggles(my racing days are over) so I'm not looking for a race only tune as this is a daily driver all summer long.

Lastly the car will have aftermarket headers, full exhaust minus cats, bigger intercoolers, different impellers on the intake side of the turbos, better clutch and 20 inch wheels.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:36 AM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I've had GIAC on my car for many years...it's stellar. Def do the suspension as well..makes a big diff.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:12 PM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Following this post, seems like EVOMs, GIAC, softronic, Cobb, Apr are all popular options, as well as custom tuning.

I bought a fidelity warranty with my car so im on the fence with this, I don't think I need anymore power but reducing some lag would be nice.
The following users liked this post:
mavfan909 (07-12-2020)
Old 06-08-2017, 12:32 PM
MK_TT
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You are going to get a bunch of different answers on the best tune.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:55 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Most people can only recommend the ones they have experience with, which is usually the one they have on their car. Not too many can say, "well, I've spent $8000 testing 7 different tunes and here are my thoughts:" All the main "name brand" tunes theplings listed are good and will have people recommending them. I'd just try to look at the different dyno curves and see which one matches your tastes most. Kevin at UMW here on Rennlist is another one who might be good since you're doing other upgrades.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:29 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 916 Likes on 560 Posts

Hey Shifty. I have worked with pretty much all over the years including my own stuff. I joined the Cobb team because the majority of people wanted it and I see why. In my opinion the gives you great value and has the most to offer. A few years later I am proudly the largest Cobb dealer for Porsche and have been really amazed by the constant development and support so that I can give my clients the best possible. It can log ion it's own, reset codes, be used as a gauge, performance meter, re-sellable and so many other features! With custom tuning it's a real player! Feel free to reach out if I can be of any assistance!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 06-08-2017, 02:04 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

UMW hands down. Custom tune, not off the shelf, and Kevin is one of the most experienced tuners out there.
The following users liked this post:
mavfan909 (07-12-2020)
Old 06-08-2017, 02:14 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

I have a UMW tune and have dyno'd it twice and the results documented.. althoguh it looks like you plan to take your mods to the next level (bigger turbos, catless exhaust, etc.)

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...-dyno-fun.html
Old 06-08-2017, 03:16 PM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MK_TT
You are going to get a bunch of different answers on the best tune.
My thoughts exactly. "Here we go..."
Old 06-08-2017, 03:18 PM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Here's my feedback anyway, with the mods you have (currently and in the future) I would suggest a custom tune over OTS for sure.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:46 PM
austx911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bskyoon
My thoughts exactly. "Here we go..."
Yep.

I asked a similar question on another forum. Answers all across the board.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tt-tuners.html

I have a custom Cobb tune and the end result has been great allthough it took me a while to get there. The tuner makes all the difference on a custom tune. My car had a GIAC tune with mods when I bought it. I took it to another level with a new power kit and went with Cobb because that's what the shop I used was familiar with. I agree with others that the mods you propose would warrant a custom tune. Main thing is pick a good shop/tuner. Do your homework.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:11 PM
Poppahay
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also in touch with Kevin and we are at the end of the process of data logging and deciding how this tune is going to end up. This is so "not" a canned tune. Kevin's level of customer service is mind boggling. At this point we are coming to terms with how our Washington state gasoline is being refined. We are a 92 octane gas state. I'm learning that the quality of fuel is directly related to how aggressive the tune can be. Great stuff. There are so many variables to building a tune for your specific car. Quality of gas, ambient temp, elevation, driving style, mods and many, many more things. In this day and age there is no need to use a canned tune when you can get a custom tune optimized to your specific car, needs and wants. Try Kevin's product at Ultimate Motorwerks, UMW. You won't be sorry you did.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:19 AM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hey Shifty. I have worked with pretty much all over the years including my own stuff. I joined the Cobb team because the majority of people wanted it and I see why. In my opinion the gives you great value and has the most to offer. A few years later I am proudly the largest Cobb dealer for Porsche and have been really amazed by the constant development and support so that I can give my clients the best possible. It can log ion it's own, reset codes, be used as a gauge, performance meter, re-sellable and so many other features! With custom tuning it's a real player! Feel free to reach out if I can be of any assistance!
+1 for Sam. I have the Cobb and IMO, best of both world due to the Access Port capabilities as well as custom tuning possibilities

I have experiences with several tunes NOT Porsche specific; however, the Access Port makes the experience much more intuitive.

Can't really go wrong with any big names listed above. Will basically be similar based on what hardware you have
Old 06-09-2017, 10:45 AM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Poppahay
I am also in touch with Kevin and we are at the end of the process of data logging and deciding how this tune is going to end up. This is so "not" a canned tune. Kevin's level of customer service is mind boggling. At this point we are coming to terms with how our Washington state gasoline is being refined. We are a 92 octane gas state. I'm learning that the quality of fuel is directly related to how aggressive the tune can be. Great stuff. There are so many variables to building a tune for your specific car. Quality of gas, ambient temp, elevation, driving style, mods and many, many more things. In this day and age there is no need to use a canned tune when you can get a custom tune optimized to your specific car, needs and wants. Try Kevin's product at Ultimate Motorwerks, UMW. You won't be sorry you did.
Second that opinion, Kevin is very knowledgeable and his tune is very transparent which is something you want in an area where most of us are not 'experts.' The big selling point for me was the OBII module that allows you to datalog. From time to time I'll just plug it in and get some engine diagnostics to see how things are running. The highlighted red is of special significance, our ECU's can compensate with -15 deg timing retard to prevent knock, as you can see my tune had to be slightly more conservative considering the terrible gas here (Tx is the place to be apparently). Which goes back to the main point, with your mods just don't get an OTS tune because you'll never know how close you are to that limit.
Attached Images
Old 06-09-2017, 12:20 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 916 Likes on 560 Posts

Let me say I know Kevin fairly well and he's great. He does things the way very few of us do...Hey buddy! Good options here and that's a good thing

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 06-09-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Quick Reply: To tune it or not to tune it? Who has the best software?