Sponsored by:

997 Turbo pricing: stable or dropping?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:22 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
I'm looking at an 08 997.1 TT with less than 10K miles and hoping the values stay stable for sure.
A 997 turbo may not be the best investment, but it's a hell of a lot more enjoyable than a stock certificate. The secret is to drive it and enjoy it. Low mile 997 turbo's are probably near the bottom of their depreciation curve. The irony though, some of it's value rests with it's low mileage and actually putting miles on it, a good thing, will affect it's value. Personally, I'd drive it.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:30 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by 550bryan
A 997 turbo may not be the best investment, but it's a hell of a lot more enjoyable than a stock certificate. The secret is to drive it and enjoy it. Low mile 997 turbo's are probably near the bottom of their depreciation curve. The irony though, some of it's value rests with it's low mileage and actually putting miles on it, a good thing, will affect it's value. Personally, I'd drive it.

Oh don't get me wrong. It WILL be driven!! But not the kind of miles I'm worried about causing it to go down in value much over the next few years.
This will be a dream car / bucket list purchase for this poor old blue collar worker. lol
Old 09-07-2017, 09:42 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh don't get me wrong. It WILL be driven!! But not the kind of miles I'm worried about causing it to go down in value much over the next few years.
This will be a dream car / bucket list purchase for this poor old blue collar worker. lol
WOW, a serious drag racer. You'll find many soul mates among 997 TT owners. The Mezger engine is highly tunable and will deliver impressive numbers. Of course drag races will prefer the tip/pdk cars, you just can't shift a manual fast enough, plus its really hard on the equipment. You'll feel right at home in any case, I'll hold off my congratulations until it's actually parked in your garage.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:55 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

WOW, a serious drag racer. You'll find many soul mates among 997 TT owners. The Mezger engine is highly tunable and will deliver impressive numbers. Of course drag races will prefer the tip/pdk cars, you just can't shift a manual fast enough, plus its really hard on the equipment. You'll feel right at home in any case, I'll hold off my congratulations until it's actually parked in your garage.
Oh I'm not buying to drag race. It would be fun but without major major mods, there's no point really. I could buy something FAR less expensive that would be way quicker.

This is a love I'd had since a teenager and finally in a spot where I can finance and pay the payment on one. (996/997 pricing).

Really looking forward to it.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:59 PM
strato58
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts

i'm expecting appreciation over the next 10 years.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:29 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by strato58
i'm expecting appreciation over the next 10 years.
Was just talking to another member that said the same thing. 7-10 years could have them going up a good bit.

Not sure I'll keep it that long but if I love it like I think I will, it's possible.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:04 PM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts

Seems like most cars hit their stride at about 25 years old.

Look at a 1992 Ford Mustang that's not been molested... They bring more now than they did new.

Kinda like the 993's...

Everyone wants their favorite car from high school, and about 25 years after graduation, more of them are able to afford them.

Of course, that's all just speculation.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:26 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny DB

What if they would have made a 997.1 Turbo S with a manual?
That's kinda what I and a lot of folks have aimed for via mods - mine will shortly be: '09 .1 Sport Chrono 6MT with .2/GT2 intercoolers, upgraded LSD, EP2 exhaust, IPD, Cobb tune, DSC, and a few other bits plus suspension in-progress.

Should be significantly more exciting than stock yet still fairly refined for street driving, using many factory parts, and reversible to stock. Will post a separate thread soon.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:17 PM
dbeck84
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First trip to the strip in 16 years

I would go to a quarter mile track nearby in high school and watch mostly pretty bad cars give it a shot. Lots of early 90s late 80s mustangs to a full size conversion van that i believe barely made it in under 30. Wife was on a work trip for two weeks, been cooped up and figured why not. 10 minute drive. 20 bucks for two attempts and i wasnt far off from the "dont come back without a roll cage and kill switch numbers". I highly recommend go out and do it once. Didnt care if i won, did not care about anything other than not wrecking and for the first time ever having 10+ seconds where I could keep 100% throttle. When i datalog it feels like 10 minutes and i see i will lift after 5 seconds. These were the cars that lined our walls growing up and for a few moments getting to act like you would if handed the keys back then still has me smiling. Its an easy car to love, decent investment, just expensive enough to maintain its tough to justify regular track days and they honestly are too fast to be driven at the tips on the road so then it happens. Something you waited 30 years or more to have and finally made it come true and so soon we have to talk ourselves into putting miles on the clock or frequently mentioning what is best of it? Its art, its a machine but its also a toy. Whats best for it is whatever lets you turn off the ignition and recall why you worked so hard to be able to have it. Dont go cheap when anything needs attention but ill never understand the mindset of many unique to this forum. The one thing this car does better than anything ive driven is go crazy fast in a straight line but the seat, suspension, aerodynamics and awd combine to feel the rush north of 160mph while staying so composed zero fear that acting that reckless could have any risk other than hoping a state trooper isnt around the bend. If you dont see at least 100 on a weekly basis i dont know why this was your pick. Bentley GT - great power, more comfort just massive, like others have said no shortage of sportier, or investment grade cars. I respect the badge and love seeing a base 4 cab driving around 5 under the limit. You can enjoy a porsche for any preference. To me Turbos and the GT's should be the ones that makes non owners dislike the brand. Go race every car light to light. corvette or mini van. 99% of the time i am a huge nerd. Excel files, and specialize in network topography and data packet caching for streaming media across internal and external multi device / codec and bitrate viewership. I just fell asleep typing that. When i settle behind the wheel kids to grown men grab their camera phones. The turbo lets you be a rockstart for a few minutes so losen the tie and enjoy pretending to be one for a bit. You will thank me.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:06 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dbeck84
I would go to a quarter mile track nearby in high school and watch mostly pretty bad cars give it a shot. Lots of early 90s late 80s mustangs to a full size conversion van that i believe barely made it in under 30. Wife was on a work trip for two weeks, been cooped up and figured why not. 10 minute drive. 20 bucks for two attempts and i wasnt far off from the "dont come back without a roll cage and kill switch numbers". I highly recommend go out and do it once. Didnt care if i won, did not care about anything other than not wrecking and for the first time ever having 10+ seconds where I could keep 100% throttle. When i datalog it feels like 10 minutes and i see i will lift after 5 seconds. These were the cars that lined our walls growing up and for a few moments getting to act like you would if handed the keys back then still has me smiling. Its an easy car to love, decent investment, just expensive enough to maintain its tough to justify regular track days and they honestly are too fast to be driven at the tips on the road so then it happens. Something you waited 30 years or more to have and finally made it come true and so soon we have to talk ourselves into putting miles on the clock or frequently mentioning what is best of it? Its art, its a machine but its also a toy. Whats best for it is whatever lets you turn off the ignition and recall why you worked so hard to be able to have it. Dont go cheap when anything needs attention but ill never understand the mindset of many unique to this forum. The one thing this car does better than anything ive driven is go crazy fast in a straight line but the seat, suspension, aerodynamics and awd combine to feel the rush north of 160mph while staying so composed zero fear that acting that reckless could have any risk other than hoping a state trooper isnt around the bend. If you dont see at least 100 on a weekly basis i dont know why this was your pick. Bentley GT - great power, more comfort just massive, like others have said no shortage of sportier, or investment grade cars. I respect the badge and love seeing a base 4 cab driving around 5 under the limit. You can enjoy a porsche for any preference. To me Turbos and the GT's should be the ones that makes non owners dislike the brand. Go race every car light to light. corvette or mini van. 99% of the time i am a huge nerd. Excel files, and specialize in network topography and data packet caching for streaming media across internal and external multi device / codec and bitrate viewership. I just fell asleep typing that. When i settle behind the wheel kids to grown men grab their camera phones. The turbo lets you be a rockstart for a few minutes so losen the tie and enjoy pretending to be one for a bit. You will thank me.

OUTSTANDING POST!!!

He just won the Internet for the Day!!! ^^^

Hoping to join the club next week myself.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:10 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

OUTSTANDING POST!!!
He just won the Internet for the Day!!! ^^^
Hoping to join the club next week myself.
Prize is four free 'paragraphs' which he can insert into his next post at no fee!

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo pricing: stable or dropping?