Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger airbag always on even with no one in seat..?

Old 04-30-2017, 03:34 PM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Passenger airbag always on even with no one in seat..?

Sorry for the multiple threads, but I am still trying to figure out all the quirks and small issues with my new (to me) 997 Turbo. There seems to be something wrong with the passenger airbag sensor in the seat I am guessing. The "Passenger Airbag Off" light on the center console near the shifter will turn on when you first stick the key in the ignition like I would imagine it should with no one in the seat, but after a couple seconds goes out. Should it not stay on unless there is someone in the passenger seat to engage the airbag?

Faulty sensor? Something else? Anyone had this issue before? Thanks in advance. Ill get all these little issues sorted out soon enough
Old 04-30-2017, 03:39 PM
ctony66
Racer

Try putting something that weighs about ten lbs on the seat and try it. I believe it goes by weight. It turns the airbag off if it senses something that is too light.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:51 PM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ctony66
Try putting something that weighs about ten lbs on the seat and try it. I believe it goes by weight. It turns the airbag off if it senses something that is too light.
Thanks. Ill give that a shot. I was under the impression it was always off unless something over whatever the weight the sensor is set for (40#, 50#, whatever) was in the seat. I didn't think that maybe it had to have something lightweight in the seat to turn the airbag off.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:45 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Try cleaning the seat tracks. Then try raising and lowering the seat height.
It should be off with no weight in the seat and on with IIRC 60lbs or less in the seat. (i.e. small child). This can be adjust with PWIS and I thought the durametric cable.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:28 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat3d M
Sorry for the multiple threads, but I am still trying to figure out all the quirks and small issues with my new (to me) 997 Turbo. There seems to be something wrong with the passenger airbag sensor in the seat I am guessing. The "Passenger Airbag Off" light on the center console near the shifter will turn on when you first stick the key in the ignition like I would imagine it should with no one in the seat, but after a couple seconds goes out. Should it not stay on unless there is someone in the passenger seat to engage the airbag?

Faulty sensor? Something else? Anyone had this issue before? Thanks in advance. Ill get all these little issues sorted out soon enough
Check the owner's manual (pp 48-49 or thereabouts) - not sure if this an excerpt from your model year but it looks like light being out is OK.

PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF indicator lamp
does not light up
– The passenger's airbag is active and ready for
operation.
– If the passenger's seat is not occupied, the
PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF indicator lamp will
also not light up, even though the passenger's
airbag is switched off.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

I put some weight on the seat, and the light turned on. It threw me off, because I would have suspected the light would be on if there was no weight in the seat (no sense in the airbag working if there is no one sitting there). That is how most vehicles are, in fact I think that is how other Porsche's are. So all is well. Thanks for the help, and sorry for making a pointless thread. I'm overwhelmed with all the little things wrong with this car so I jump to conclusions everytime something doesn't function as I expect it to.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:25 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Glad to finally see a Rat3d M thread that doesn't end in an annoying repair!
Old 05-04-2017, 11:07 AM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even in what seem to be the smallest details, engineers are trying to increase reliability of something as simple as an indicator. If the light was illuminated every time the seat was empty, it may decrease the lifetime of the indicator due to switching off/on frequently. The light illuminates when the bag should be operational, but for a number of reasons, it is not. A small child, or a fault will turn the indicator on indicating the bag will not operate. When the seat is empty, the bag will not activate although the indicator doesn't say that. With an empty seat, the bag should not operate by default. But we don't want an annoying light lit up to tell us that.
Even in aircraft, the normal position of an indicator is extinguished. When there's a problem, the light will illuminate. This makes sense. If a hundred lights in the cockpit are on due to normal conditions, how can you find the one that just came on because of a problem. If they're all off, when one lights up, it catches your attention.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passenger airbag always on even with no one in seat..?