Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash cam, to do or not to do...

Old 04-28-2017, 09:57 AM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dash cam, to do or not to do...

Opinions please, is it worth it? How many of you are running front/rear cameras?

If I did I'm considering the Blackvue DR650S, saw Nick Murray's video on youtube and it looks like a sweet set up.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:30 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

why do you want it?

I never saw the need for one, but I'm a pretty aware driver and i drive with the anticipation that everyone else is going to do something epically stupid at just about all times.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:58 PM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's on my mod "to do" list but is pretty low in my range of priorities (somewhere next to a Dension unit or upgraded head unit). They are cool to have, and good for insurance purposes, but realistically how often will you make use of it? I make car related YouTube vids from time to time, so that is realistically the only reason I am considering it (and of course insurance from accidents/vandalism).
Old 04-28-2017, 02:18 PM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Default I live in Florida...

I am also very defensive but there's only so much you can do especially down here. As far as why, as you said insurance, vandalism, parking lot hit and run, the usual obvious benefits. To be more specific $$ is not as big a priority as the PITA to install (if that's the case) since I like to do my own work. The big thing I'm wondering is if they've even been helpful in terms of when they're actually needed, i.e. catching a license plate, insurance claims, etc
Old 04-28-2017, 02:28 PM
996_soon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Transcend DrivePro 100 (no gps), which I bought for less than $100. It's mounted next to the v1. Both are powered using a wiretap. It's a cheap camera that does the job, but if you're looking to catch plate numbers, then the Blackvue may be a better choice. It's a better unit.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:22 PM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll hold off for a while and to some 'go fast' upgrades first...
Old 05-01-2017, 04:50 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

buddy standing at an intersection was backed into by the car ahead bc the driver backup to go a different direction. $3k in damage. The driver in front said he never backup and was rear ended. Camera saved the day. So yes, Im getting one too.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:08 PM
Emmasdream
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I to started looking at Dashcams recently, also because of Nick's video. Him saying the blackvue is the best premium model made it my starting place.

However after a bit of research, that doesn't seem to be the cut and dry case. Yes the Blackvue is the best form factor, but the actual camera sensor is circa 2014 and average at best in today's market. The Thinkware F770 seems to be a similar price point, only slightly bigger form factor, and much better camera.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-dash...ckvue-dr650gw/
Old 05-01-2017, 07:06 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2
buddy standing at an intersection was backed into by the car ahead bc the driver backup to go a different direction. $3k in damage. The driver in front said he never backup and was rear ended. Camera saved the day. So yes, Im getting one too.
Hopefully the guy who lied about backing up and tried to pin it on the other driver is now facing charges too.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:50 PM
sdavies88
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a blackvue 650 in the 997tt (and in my 355). I find them great for peace of mind. They are invisible to you when driving when installed in front of the rear view mirror.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:26 AM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Just came across this, I think a blackvue will definitely be the next mod..

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...ng-my-car.html
Old 05-05-2017, 02:24 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I recently purchased a Blackvue DR650S after I was hit and run by a young girl. Not much damage, but she took off. Even tho I had her license plate and called 911, it wound up coming down to he said/she said, and I was out my $500 deductible to fix my bumper scrapes.

I also know of an interesting story where a friend's dash cam caught a small accident in front of him. He gave his info to the person who was hit and clearly not at fault. His insurance called him a few days later and said there were conflicting accounts and it was coming down to he said/she said and could they have his dash cam footage. He said no, but I'll gladly sell it to you for $500, which is what he paid for his camera. He showed up to Farmer's Insurance local office, showed the adjuster the footage, and they cut him a check right there.

My Blackvue DR650S is a 2-channel cam set-up, so both front and rear cameras, it is nearly invisible, and if you set up the optional Cloud feature, you can see out of your car's cameras via your smartphone from any location at any time.

I highly recommend it
Old 05-05-2017, 02:34 PM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I recently purchased a Blackvue DR650S after I was hit and run by a young girl. Not much damage, but she took off. Even tho I had her license plate and called 911, it wound up coming down to he said/she said, and I was out my $500 deductible to fix my bumper scrapes.

I also know of an interesting story where a friend's dash cam caught a small accident in front of him. He gave his info to the person who was hit and clearly not at fault. His insurance called him a few days later and said there were conflicting accounts and it was coming down to he said/she said and could they have his dash cam footage. He said no, but I'll gladly sell it to you for $500, which is what he paid for his camera. He showed up to Farmer's Insurance local office, showed the adjuster the footage, and they cut him a check right there.

My Blackvue DR650S is a 2-channel cam set-up, so both front and rear cameras, it is nearly invisible, and if you set up the optional Cloud feature, you can see out of your car's cameras via your smartphone from any location at any time.

I highly recommend it
Aha! Showing this one to the wife, thanks.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:38 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

I have one, but it is in my daily driver S4. I am contemplating if I will do one or not when I buy a 911. I am thinking that I probably wouldn't in a weekend car, just to keep a neater appearance, however, they are quite the insurance saver at times. Like you mentioned, Nick Murray has mentioned that someone put it in reverse on a street, backed into him and then blamed him for the whole incident. He ended up showing the police the dash cam and she had to pay for the damages. Just depends how much you drive, but with some of the people out there, just having something at least out the front to show if someone ran out or pulled out in front of you might be a wise decision.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dash cam, to do or not to do...