Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking to buy a car 3k miles away - dealer wont release for PPI

Old 04-28-2017, 07:07 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Update... it gets better:

Get a text: car is available again... I set up a face time walk around and before it begins I'm casually told that the price is now 11k higher... previous price was a "mistake"

Now thats how you do business folks!

Old 04-28-2017, 08:05 PM
stcole416
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear the troubles. Some dealers are more reasonable than others. I had a similar response with a NY area Porsche dealer; it later sat for close to 4 more weeks.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:29 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Dealer sounded slimy. However, ppi are a waste of time IMO.
Better off flying out and eyeballing it yourself. That and a dme scan will tell you what you want to know. I've paid for 3 ppi, all were totally useless, all well respected Indy......

💯 percent correct! Then again we are looking at this delima from our perspective. My Porsche automobiles were purchased with me going and checking them out. The RS America was purchased without me doing nothing other than pictures and a conversation. Same when I sold it.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:42 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Same with my slant, both buying and selling, just a call and purchase.
As far as the op car goes, make him a cash offer that's good for 48hrs, his asking price is just that, don't worry he'll call.
c
Old 04-30-2017, 02:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2
Update... it gets better:

Get a text: car is available again... I set up a face time walk around and before it begins I'm casually told that the price is now 11k higher... previous price was a "mistake"

Now thats how you do business folks!

Price is not fact only an opinion.

You should have done your research and know what the car should sell for. Unless the new price is in the ballpark of what your research indicates the car should sell for ignore the price.

The bigger question, at least for now, is do you want to resume negotiations with this dealer?

Because you are buying from a distance what can happen is you "agree" to a price then fly out and go to buy/pick up the car an oh oh a "mistake" was made (I note the dealer has already used this "ploy" at least once) and the price is higher. Now you have committed some time and money and the seller is hoping you'll give in and pay the higher price rather than eat the cost of teh air far home and the time and trouble.

If you do end up "buying" the car you want to be sure you have it in writing what the price is. 'course, this is not necessarily a guarantee the seller won't change his mind thinking you are unlikely to pursue any civil action against him because he renegged on the "deal" being you are coming from so far away.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:11 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2
A local car would be ideal, but this is the car I was looking for color/options wise (almost) and its got 12k miles on it. dealer said that CA law prevents them from taking a deposit so its a "race" bc they wont hold it...

my advice is when you find yourself feeling this way about a car and it feels like you're under pressure to commit, just. walk. away.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:13 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

Is this a Porsche dealer, or an aftermarket dealer? I had a similar experience in LA with a non-P-car dealer where he tried to raise the price on me after my PPI, and I walked. away.

I won't name names but it was a European auto house in LA.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: looking to buy a car 3k miles away - dealer wont release for PPI