Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear control module does not work..?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 05:22 PM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear control module does not work..?

Does anyone have any input on why the rear control module might not function? I put the stock wing back on (the 997.1TT I bought had an aftermarket GT2 spoiler) and plugged the OEM harness in, and I am getting rear fog light, raised brake light, spoiler control malfunction warnings, the engine compartment light does not work, not does the rear brake light, and the spoiler will not move.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:54 PM
ctony66
Racer

Are you sure it wasn't turned off with piwis or durametric when the gt2 wing was put on. also make sure the plug tucked down low on the right side by the motor mount is plugged in. you could also try disconnecting the battery to reset everything.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:47 AM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

I reached out to the previous owner to see if he did any coding changes when he installed the GT2 wing, but not sure if he will get back to me.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:04 AM
ctony66
Racer

If you have a durametric pro you can see it and change it yourself. I turned mine off with it.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:46 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

He may have changed the harness too.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:19 PM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the amateurish question (I'm new to Porsche), but when you say that he may have "turned off the rear module" is this the same as coding the car as a fixed wing, or something different altogether? When I bought the car in Austin back in February, I knew it had a fixed GT2 style wing with no brake light, and that the decklid harness and fan were missing, and that it was throwing the "Check Raised Brake Light" warning upon startup as well as the "Spoiler Control Malfunction" warning when you hit 75mph. From my research, I read that those two errors were there because the wing no longer had the hydraulic lift function, or a third brake light, and in order to fix the two warnings a new harness was needed, as well as coding to change the rear module to read as a fixed wing.

Fast forward a little, I bought the harness months ago and when I installed it, I expected the "Check Raised Brake Light" warning to be gone, with all that was needed to get rid of the other warning the coding part. I still received the brake light warning with the harness plugged in, and when I reinstalled the factory decklid due to the fact that the aftermarket decklid wasn't latching properly, I fully expected everything to function as normal when everything was plugged back in, but when the dash lit up like a Christmas tree with fog light warnings, raised brake light warnings, spoiler control warnings, etc, I sort of felt as though something was amiss with the rear control module itself.

If the previous owner had coded the car as a fixed wing, then I would never have gotten the spoiler control malfunction at 75mph I assume, correct? Likewise, if he had not done any coding changes, when everything from the oem decklid was plugged in, I would assume there would be no errors, but there are tons of them and nothing seems to work. Very confusing to me. Something just doesn't seem right, I feel like I inherited someone else's project and I have no way to verify anything hes done to the car.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:28 PM
ctony66
Racer

You are correct. You would not get a rear wing error if it was turned off. You may want to check all the fuses front and rear. Was the wing you put on from the same car or another one. It could be a wing from a different year and could also cause your issues. I doubt you have a major problem but you may have to do a bit of research and pin out the wires to be sure the harness is correct. A reset with a piwis may be all you need.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:36 PM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

To the best of my knowledge it's the original spoiler that came on the car. I have no reason to assume any different (includes all the intake ducts, fan, OEM harness, same color as the car, etc.). If it matters I did clear the fault codes with my Cobb Accessport (there were literally dozens from who knows how long ago) and when I scanned the car again after the warnings came back, I got the following codes:

B8034
B8036

Both are for the rear control module. Not sure what they mean. The Accessport doesn't tell you.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:48 PM
ctony66
Racer

you probably need a durametric or piwis to figure it out.there are fuses in the back under the speaker box that control the rear electrical. you could try and check them first before you have to start spending money to figure it out.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:24 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

The correct 997tt harness includes built in micro switches as part of the harness, unlike the 996tt, which has separate micro switches. I recently had that error and it was due to faulty micro switches in the cable, replaced cable with a new one from pelican, works perfectly.
I agree, it sounds like your car is not coded for a fixed wing.
What pn harness did you use?
The correct pn is 99762267001 $171 pelican
C
Old 04-22-2017, 08:16 AM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Oy Vey!
Old 04-22-2017, 03:26 PM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Quick update. I unplugged the battery for a few minutes and then got PASM and PSM failure warnings. Those eventually went away after driving and havent come back, but the good news is my third brake light now works and no long throws an error. The bad news is my spoiler still will not raise and throws an error. So I'm assuming that the hydraulics are bad or there is another mechanical issue with the spoiler? Anything I can check at this point? Also when I tried to turn the rear fogs on I got a rear fog warning. Other than those two things all is well.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:12 PM
ctony66
Racer

Could it just be a bad bulb in the tail light? For the spoiler you could try putting alternate voltage to it to see if it works. Did you try the spoiler switch to see if it works with that?
Old 04-23-2017, 11:05 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

As mentioned, to ck the motor, just attach a battery charger to the terminals, alternating the pos/neg btwn the two terminals.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:08 AM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Switch does nothing, just causes an error. I also thinking bad bulb for the rear fogs. Anyone know which side the fog light is on (or is it on both)?

Ill try connecting power directly to the motor to see if it works. Other than those two issues, the stock deck lid is good to go.

Quick Reply: Rear control module does not work..?