Sponsored by:

997.1 ECU shopping

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 10:00 PM
woody6
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997.1 ECU shopping

I've been chasing errors with the ambient pressure sensor for a while. The dealer thinks my ECU is suffering from failing solder joints (possibly from the firm ride resulting from the coilovers; my car IS low). Anyone know a good source for a used ECU? Car is an '07 TT.

I do have a lead on a used one from a car that appears to have been wrapped around a pole, but I might like one that hasn't experience that degree of rapid deceleration.

Thanks,
Woody
Old 04-12-2017, 10:48 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would try LA Dismantlers. They often have that type of stuff. I would also give a call to ECU Doctors down in Florida. For a nominal fee, they will restore your ECU to OEM condition. I worked with them on ECU issues with my 993. And, their work is warranted.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:27 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Could be the ambient temp sensor itself.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:19 AM
woody6
Intermediate

Thanks, gentlemen. Ernie, I will definitely give LA dismantlers a call in the morning. ECU Doctors I have already spoken with, and they don't work on the 997 ECUs - maybe nothing newer than 2003.

Chris, the ambient pressure sensor is on the ECU. You mention the ambient temperature sensor, is there a temperature sensor besides the one in the MAP sensor? I don't believe the outside air temperature sensor for the dash is in any way involved in engine management, but I'd be glad to be wrong.

I get occasional P2228, P2228, & P2230 errors, all have to do with ambient pressure sensor values out of range or intermittent. I had been thinking the same thing as the tech, but he reached his conclusion without the aid of mine.

--Woody
Old 04-13-2017, 10:04 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry, misread your post, the ambient temp sensor is in front bumper.
FVD and evoms both sell ECUs, about $1400. FVD Germany may actually be able to fix your ecu, I'd contact Rhonda at FVD, they fixed mine.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:56 PM
monty007
Instructor

I was thinking along the same lines as TT Surgeon. There is a sensor on the front left of the bumper (when looking at it from the front) that is on the curve that leads to the radiator. It unplugs from the back and you should be able to access it with a partial disassembly of the underbody panels. I would replace that sensor before the ECU repair/replacement.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:26 PM
woody6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Sorry, misread your post, the ambient temp sensor is in front bumper.
FVD and evoms both sell ECUs, about $1400. FVD Germany may actually be able to fix your ecu, I'd contact Rhonda at FVD, they fixed mine.
Rhonda was super helpful and got back with me quickly. Unfortunately they have stopped servicing them, parts availability may have been the issue.

I have a lead on a used one, and have been corresponding with Todd at Protomotive, who can clone my ECU into the replacement unit. Looks like that will be the resolution.

Quick Reply: 997.1 ECU shopping