Sponsored by:

Changing the starter motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 03:42 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the starter motor

Ok so been having a few problems starting lately and suspect the starter is the culprit so thought I would whip it out , well I would if I could find the top bolt ! I am going on the assumption there are two bolts holding it in bottom one easy however after fiddling round the starter for an hour cant bloody feel the other one

any pointers appreciated

Gaz

ok so found this picture and as you would expect it opposite the other bolt still couldn't feel it will have another go tomorow
Attached Images  

Last edited by GazC2; 04-05-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:00 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GazC2
Ok so been having a few problems starting lately and suspect the starter is the culprit so thought I would whip it out , well I would if I could find the top bolt ! I am going on the assumption there are two bolts holding it in bottom one easy however after fiddling round the starter for an hour cant bloody feel the other one

any pointers appreciated

Gaz

ok so found this picture and as you would expect it opposite the other bolt still couldn't feel it will have another go tomorow
Hi..

Here is a link to my Google Drive with an outline of the information that will hopefully help you.

LINK TO MY DOC HERE

Good luck,
DC
Old 04-06-2017, 09:04 AM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Thanks DC very helpful I need to change my old school thinking that the starter comes out from under the car ! wont get done this weekend away to Techno Classica Essen to drool over what I cant afford

cheers

Gary
Old 04-06-2017, 07:00 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GazC2
Thanks DC very helpful I need to change my old school thinking that the starter comes out from under the car ! wont get done this weekend away to Techno Classica Essen to drool over what I cant afford

cheers

Gary
It should come out the bottom I think? Does on the GT3 at least I just pulled mine recently.

Top bolt is blind and needs to be done by feel.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:47 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Ok so got the starter out on the Turbo it is located just above the driveshaft on the right hand side of the car if you are looking from the back

1- Disconnect Battery
2-Remove undertray
3-Remove cap and Disconnect wires from starter (4)
4-Remove bottom bolt-the easy one
The top bolt is a pain to get to however once the wiring is moved out the way you can get a socket and extension on by feel once its cracked off its easy to remove with your fingers/socket
5. Rotate the solenoid towards the halfshaft and with a bit of wiggle the starter comes out down the way

sure the skin on my knuckles will recover
Old 04-13-2017, 12:56 PM
Kyle John Ijichi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tried doing this on my own but the top bolt requires Stretch Armstrong arms in order to access it, as well as the starter only comes out one perfect way with very little tolerances. I ultimately elected to have a shop do it for me to avoid the frustration. But now the car starts up like new

Quick Reply: Changing the starter motor