Do I need Battery Maintainer? - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Do I need Battery Maintainer?

Old 03-18-2017, 09:54 AM   #16
Sobrut911
User

I have been using a $20 Battery Tender with cigarette lighter plug adapter for over 15 years. Very easy to use, plug it in and close the door.
Sobrut911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #17
dave292
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplings View Post
So next question would be what do I get? I've looked around and there seems to be differences between chargers, tenders etc...
I've got 7 cars, two motorcycles and a Polaris Ranger on Deltron Battery tenders right now. Been using them for at least 15 years, Their Battery Tender Plus, has a 10 year warranty. I've had a few go out so I box them up, send them to Florida and in 3 weeks I receive a new one. I tried the Porsche cigarette lighter once. It lasted about 6 months and went out however, I didn't know it. SUPRISE!!! Hence the next sentence.
Also, as suggested earlier in this thread, leave the front hood popped and the drivers side window down.
dave292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #18
theplings
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
Yes, you do. Plus, leave the hood cracked open.

The hood release is electrically controlled.
If the battery dies, you can't open the frunk and jump the car. You'll be going through the problem of opening it by hooking up a battery or charger through the fuse connection in the drivers compartment, which is a pain and doesn't always work.

I would also recommend to remove the tow hook, RIGHT NOW, from the frunk, and put it in the glove compartment. If your car dies, and you can't get the frunk open, and you need a tow, you can't get the tow hook out if it's still in there. The tow truck guys will hook their tow hooks to just about anything under your car and bada bing bada boom, you've got damage.

From experience...
I started leaving the frunk popped out of paranoia a few weeks ago!
theplings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #19
phsingl
User

Anyone got any experience of the solar battery maintainers? Those of us that park in a NYC car park can't exactly do the hood open, window down option....

My turbo lives in a car park and I park it myself so can be left near natural light.
phsingl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:47 PM   #20
theplings
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phsingl View Post
Anyone got any experience of the solar battery maintainers? Those of us that park in a NYC car park can't exactly do the hood open, window down option....

My turbo lives in a car park and I park it myself so can be left near natural light.
Can't speak to the solar but if you get the cigarette lighter adapter the wire easily fishes out the door, no need to leave window open or frunk popped, as others have stated there is a little notch in the door sill for the maintainer wire, it seems to move freely and is not pinched by the door.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:12 AM   #21
phsingl
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplings View Post
Can't speak to the solar but if you get the cigarette lighter adapter the wire easily fishes out the door, no need to leave window open or frunk popped, as others have stated there is a little notch in the door sill for the maintainer wire, it seems to move freely and is not pinched by the door.
Good to know although I'm unsure if there's any spare outlets knocking around in my parking garage.
So far I've not had problems starting the car even though I drive the Cayenne more often and haven't driven the 997 for about 4 weeks now...
I should start putting regular miles on the 997 again now that we are getting towards the end of snow season so hopefully that's enough to keep the battery fresh over the next 6 months.
phsingl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:53 PM   #22
snaphappy
User

Semi related question. If the battery dies can you still open the frunk? You can't on the 991.2 🙄
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #23
theplings
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
Semi related question. If the battery dies can you still open the frunk? You can't on the 991.2 🙄
No you cannot, although I've never tested it out.
Apparently there is a procedure to get some juice to the car via the fuse box in these cases.

But then I wonder how do you get the door open without the window pinch? Force it open?

I'm just gonna use the maintainer and hopefully never have to deal with this.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:17 PM   #24
C's Turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Skip the fuse box thing and insert your battery jump unit or power pac male cig lighter into a female in the vehicle(I used the ash tray lighter). Then activate the hood open from your key remote.
C's Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote