Sponsored by:

How Polish Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 12:21 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How Polish Clear Bra

I have a clear bra on the front hood that has what appears to be orange peel. I would like to know if I can buff the bra using compound to correct this issue? Other than the orange peel, the bra seems to be intact.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:31 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think it will polish out, I'd just have the bumper redone, relatively cheap.
You can try polish or a soft cmpd, but I wouldn't expect dynamic results.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:17 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I don't think it will polish out, I'd just have the bumper redone, relatively cheap.
You can try polish or a soft cmpd, but I wouldn't expect dynamic results.
Thanks Chris. I was afraid of that. Looks like clear bras don't last forever.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:43 AM
Feld
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 61 Posts

They do not, I usually get 4 to 5 years out of them before some peeling and discoloration.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:00 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

They say you can buff it very very lightly at your own risk with wax pad and very light polish if there is hazing or marring. You won't get the orange peel out or rid of the yellowish tint which is the aging glue underneath older bras that's causing it.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:07 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 105 Posts

Best to replace. I had the 6 year old system replaced on my 07 when I got it. It didn't appear yellowed, but compared to the new Xpel system that went on, it was night and day.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:49 AM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 307 Posts

If it is XPel "self healing" clear bra u can polish/wax with mild compound or cleaner wax.

My Xpel installer gave me the care conditions for it on my car about two yrs ago.
He recommends Black Fire polish & wax once per yr.

By hand only- no machine as it will lift the edges & produce to much friction heat.

Good luck
Old 03-17-2017, 11:24 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Looks like I just need to replace the bra. Is there any issue with removing the old bra? I'm planning on using a heat gun to soften things up before pulling the wrap off the car. That will allow me to polish out the entire hood prior to having it re-wrapped.

Any idea of what a full wrap on the hood and front bumper/spoiler should cost from a reputable installer?
Old 03-17-2017, 11:35 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi

Any idea of what a full wrap on the hood and front bumper/spoiler should cost from a reputable installer?
Talk to Nico at Umbra in Schaumburg. 847-912-1869.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:59 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 307 Posts

"Any idea of what a full wrap on the hood and front bumper/spoiler should cost from a reputable installer?[/QUOTE]

I paid around $1200.00 for full hood, front fenders, mirrors, headlights, front bumper.
Xpel self healing protection.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:01 PM
Southpaw
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi
Looks like I just need to replace the bra. Is there any issue with removing the old bra? I'm planning on using a heat gun to soften things up before pulling the wrap off the car. That will allow me to polish out the entire hood prior to having it re-wrapped.

I actually polished out some swirls from my clearbra which has been on the car since 2011. Being 6 years old, I know it's days are numbered but at least polishing it has made it look presentable again and will buy some more time with it before I have to replace it.
...Then again, the car has been driven less than 10k miles in those 6 years and stays in a garage so it may have some more life in it than I think.

If you're looking to remove it though, here's a good video on how to carefully do so.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:42 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LexVan
Talk to Nico at Umbra in Schaumburg. 847-912-1869.
Lex,

Thanks for the recommendation of Umbro in Schaumberg. I'll give them a call this next week.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:20 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Southpaw

If you're looking to remove it though, here's a good video on how to carefully do so.

https://youtu.be/6pvavRaeBEA

Please do not follow that video as the safest way to remove PPF. I am sure Larry has the best intentions in what he is saying but it's not the safest method.

I promise that this is your safest method right now that you can do to remove PPF. The production value isn't as high but the content is absolutely on-point.

I am linking a playlist of a number videos that are intended to educate the viewer on the technology.

Last edited by Detailed Designs; 03-22-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:05 PM
Southpaw
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
Please do not follow that video as the safest way to remove PPF. I am sure Larry has the best intentions in what he is saying but it's not the safest method.

I promise that this is your safest method right now that you can do to remove PPF. The production value isn't as high but the content is absolutely on-point.

For us non-experts, please elaborate as to why your method is better. I'm not saying this in a back-handed way and I have no affiliation with Larry or Ammo. But I do know he has a lot of followers to his methods.
I'm clearly no expert and here we have two detailing experts who have their own unique ways so this is good information for us all to know.

I've used his way to remove a portion of clearbra from my previous 997 turbo (before seeing your method) and there weren't any ill effects but who's to say the results will always be the same.

Elaborate and you may save the OP and others a major headache
Old 03-21-2017, 11:08 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Southpaw
For us non-experts, please elaborate as to why your method is better. I'm not saying this in a back-handed way and I have no affiliation with Larry or Ammo. But I do know he has a lot of followers to his methods.
I'm clearly no expert and here we have two detailing experts who have their own unique ways so this is good information for us all to know.

I've used his way to remove a portion of clearbra from my previous 997 turbo (before seeing your method) and there weren't any ill effects but who's to say the results will always be the same.

Elaborate and you may save the OP and others a major headache
No offense taken at all. Quite frankly, if I say that I should be able to back it up.

The method he uses is not the safest. Pulling away from the paint how it is shown is creating substantial stress on the paint which is unnecessary and a heat gun is not ideal.

Those may sound simple enough but it's actually the most important aspects of removing PPF. The less stress on the paint, the better.

Quick Reply: How Polish Clear Bra