997 GT2 Turbochargers are going in! Finally! - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Turbo Technical Discussion Areas > 997 Turbo Forum
Reload this Page > 997 GT2 Turbochargers are going in! Finally!
Notices

997 GT2 Turbochargers are going in! Finally!

Old 03-12-2017, 04:32 AM
turbofever
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default 997 GT2 Turbochargers are going in! Finally!

997 GT2 Turbochargers are going in! Finally!

It took me nearly 4 years to locate a set of 997 GT2 VTG'S

I was eager to do power mods from day one although after some research is was apparent that no matter how large you increase the inducers on the VTG's cold side you are ultimately limited by the Hot Side.

Below are some side by side comparisons of the Standard Turbo Vs the GT2's

I will be performing data logging once the car is back together, likely tomorrow as i am doing the work myself.

Please excuse the bad language i had not intended to share them other than with my social media friends although figured some of the folks would appreciate this thread.

i can tell you that visually the turbos are bigger, the housing is far wider on the GT2 also!

The main reason for seeking out the GT2's was that at the top of the rev range i felt the standard turbos would run out of steam. Essentially in layman's terms they were choking and not able to flow anymore.

I run a 3.5" GMG system that tapers down to 3" at the exhaust tips which are RSR Slash Style!

My tuner UMW has noted that i should expect to see 50-55 hp gains on 91 pump gas. Far improved results could be had with race fuel.

I will be performing data logging to refine my tune,

Beyond Excited!

Last edited by turbofever; 03-12-2017 at 05:08 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:38 AM
turbofever
Addict
Rennlist Member

Watch this video for a side by side comparison

Last edited by turbofever; 03-12-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:47 AM
turbofever
Addict
Rennlist Member

Last edited by turbofever; 03-15-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:03 AM
HardHitter
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turbofever View Post
Hahah this video!

Where are you located in Cali? SF? I'm in Santa Clara and going to be swapping out my Techart exhaust for the GMG when I get back from Singapore. Would be great to have some friends in the area stop by/help out!

If you're local, would be glad to wrench with you if you need any help. Looking forward to see your results!
Old 03-12-2017, 05:25 AM
808c2s
User

Very cool. Looking forward to your logs.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:53 AM
saabin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very cool, will be interesting to see your logs..

Curious, why didn't you consider Kevin's hybrids vs hunting for these for 3 years?

Let me know if you want help with the data.. The tool I found (used in my "Fun with data" thread) makes it pretty easy to see the differences in log visually vs. just looking at raw numbers..

Too bad you arent local.. I'd love to help on a job like this, just a little more involved than doing the plugs, and one of the reasons I bought my lift.

Nice work.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:57 PM
turbofever
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by saabin
Very cool, will be interesting to see your logs..

Curious, why didn't you consider Kevin's hybrids vs hunting for these for 3 years?

Let me know if you want help with the data.. The tool I found (used in my "Fun with data" thread) makes it pretty easy to see the differences in log visually vs. just looking at raw numbers..

Too bad you arent local.. I'd love to help on a job like this, just a little more involved than doing the plugs, and one of the reasons I bought my lift.

Nice work.
Kevin's hybrids and all other tuners utilize the exact same small hot side and small housing

I wanted the larger GT2 / GT2RS units - I am told the GT2/ RS Cartridge is far different from the Standard turbos too. Overall these units are simply more efficient.

Kevin can provide these turbos although just the cores are $6500 each at the dealer! Then the cost to convert to Hybrid

You are talking $17,000 or more

I should expect decent gains, good boost response time and more torque!
Old 03-12-2017, 02:06 PM
CodeRed
User

Old 03-12-2017, 02:42 PM
turbofever
Addict
Rennlist Member

reference the blue tags - these are modified standard units!

the GT2/GT2RS have yellow tags!
Old 03-12-2017, 10:49 PM
808c2s
User

Good to know. Thanks!

Originally Posted by turbofever
reference the blue tags - these are modified standard units!

the GT2/GT2RS have yellow tags!
Old 03-13-2017, 03:01 PM
turbofever
Addict
Rennlist Member

She is Done! It took me roughly 9 hours to do the swap.

You need to ensure you Purchase all the correct oil and coolant seals along with replacement gaskets for the headers and turbo to cats!

In the second video I am cranking the motor to build oil pressure before I actually start it!

Here is an example of the seals I am referencing!

More videos and data to come once I have an opportunity to perform data logging and my tuner can tune it to 1.6 Bar
GT2RS SPEC! whoooo
Old 03-13-2017, 04:43 PM
saabin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you put in a new MAP sensor?
Old 03-13-2017, 10:55 PM
changster123
User

Do you have pictures of the turbos side by side with both the compressor and turbine housings showing? Your pic hides the compressor housing on one.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:41 AM
turbofever
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by changster123 View Post
Do you have pictures of the turbos side by side with both the compressor and turbine housings showing? Your pic hides the compressor housing on one.
Champion Motorsport Released these images
Recently we've had a few customers express some interest in GT2 turbos as an upgrade from their existing VTG's, so I thought I'd take a minute to show how the GT2 turbos are different from standard VTG's, and hopefully make some people's decisions on upgrades a little easier. A customer sent his factory GT2 turbos in for our CMS billet upgrade, so this was the perfect opportunity to snap a few pictures of the stock GT2 for reference. For the sake of this comparison, we'll be using 3 examples:
Stock GT2 Turbo
Standard Champion Billet Turbo
Champion Billet Turbo with ported exhaust inlet
Since the factory GT2 turbo uses the same compressor housing and wheel as the standard VTG we'll focus on the turbine side, which is where the differences are. There are basically 3 differences between a stock GT2 VTG turbo and a stock VTG, all 3 are on the turbine side.

The picture below shows all 3 turbos side by side:

though it's a bit difficult to see in the pictures, the ported inlet of the standard VTG turbine housing replicates the GT2's inlet profile much closer, again slightly increasing the A/R of the turbine inlet, which provides a much greater match to our redesigned billet compressor housings.

So, hopefully this little bit of information will be helpful to some folks who are undecided about which direction they want to go with turbochargers. Overall, although there ARE a few small differences between the stock VTG and the GT2 VTG, the big question everyone wants to know is how this translates to power. Will GT2 turbos offer a slight power upgrade compared to standard turbos....yes. But, realistically the gains you can expect are going to be minimal. The most notable gain will be in efficiency. Any time you can improve efficiency, you're likely to gain power. How much power depends largely on the quality and performance of all your other hardware upgrades.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 PM
CodeRed
User

Well...how do you like them??