Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Decision - Cab or Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 11:18 PM
Jako
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The value of the car depends on the area you live. Cabs on the north west coast fetch more than coupes. We really on have 3-4 months of ideal top down weather. So when that time comes, the cabs value shoot through the roof.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:48 PM
vettenomore
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree the lines of the coupe are much better than the cab. However, I can't imagine not being able to drop the top on great days and enjoy that experience. I love the looks of a couple but i bought the cab because I enjoy top down driving so much. I'm not worried about resale - I'm going to DD this car and wring every bit of enjoyment I can get out of it. Whatever it sells for in the future is fine - if I sell it!
Old 03-05-2017, 07:22 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks folks for all the comments. I'm feeling better about my pending purchase. The proof in the pudding will occur this week when I fly out to California to inspect and drive the car. If it does not leave me with a smile, I can walk away from the deal. If I am charmed by the car, I'll buy it.

My angst was over the perception that a cab is a car hard to sell. Mine has the removable hardtop which I'll use in the cold months up here in Chicago. When Spring hits I'll put the hardtop in storage and operate with the soft top. Since my cars are always garaged, there should be little opportunity for bird bombings or sap. If the top does get "dirty", my OCD talents will come into play to restore the top cosmetically!

I did respond to ads for two coupes this last week. Both cars were advertised at seemingly low prices. I immediately called and said that I was OK with their pricing, but would want to have a PPI done. I was almost laughed at. Both cars were sold that day to a group of buyers that were apparently willing to pay cash without inspection of the cars. I suspect that there is a group that snaps up these cars for a quick resale to a dealer somewhere. Have others run into this same situate? Both sellers indicated that they had been deluged by 5 to 7 telephone buyers.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:06 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I prefer coupes, but that's me. Did have a 993 Targa and a 996 Targa, and in between those, a Boxster S for a few years (kept the top down virtually all the time). I can't imagine any delta in price on resale is worth worrying about, if you prefer a cab, go for it! Plus the removable hardtop is a nice bonus for a Chicago guy.

Meanwhile, my perfectly equipped '09 coupe MT ain't leaving my hands in my lifetime!
Old 03-06-2017, 02:04 PM
mister993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are flying out to CA, you may want to check out this one in SF Bay Area. Belongs to a friend of mine, and it's loaded + mint:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/6009518655.html
Old 03-06-2017, 07:11 PM
turbofever
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally I feel the 997 turbo with power mods is too quick to be a cab!

your call, I would like a cab although I would need to have a coupe in the garage too for the spirited driving sessions

if you have a urge to have a cab buy a Mercedes r129 SL ... they cost peanuts and I am having a blast with the one I just got!
Old 03-06-2017, 08:25 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 ^^
Old 03-07-2017, 10:54 AM
NYNick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbofever
personally I feel the 997 turbo with power mods is too quick to be a cab!

your call, I would like a cab although I would need to have a coupe in the garage too for the spirited driving sessions

if you have a urge to have a cab buy a Mercedes r129 SL ... they cost peanuts and I am having a blast with the one I just got!
Why do you need a coupe for spirited driving sessions?
Old 03-07-2017, 11:20 AM
vettenomore
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NYNick
Why do you need a coupe for spirited driving sessions?

^+1 - what does one thing have to do with the other? I'm not aware of any meaningful differences in performance between cab and coupe. I agree there are differences re aesthetics, but that's a personal preference thing.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:33 AM
vman932
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

As others have said, drive what makes you happy. I really enjoy open air motoring. I have owned my t-top MR2 turbo since 1997 and my targa Supra turbo since 2004. I remove the tops anytime weather allows. Although t-tops and targas are nice, they pail in comparison to being top down in a convertible. The unencumbered visibility of a convertible with the top down adds significantly to my driving experience. It's like riding a motorcycle without the need for a helmet and leathers with much more safety, comfort and convenience. If I keep this up, I might talk myself into selling my motorcycle......

FYI, I had a 996 turbo coupe 6MT prior to my current 997 turbo cab 6MT. I am happy with my decision
Old 03-07-2017, 12:39 PM
indesj01
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default cab

I've had both. Currently I have the turbo S cab. The only draw back after having the coupe is the wind noise with the top up. The 991 turbo S has much less than the 997 but I think that background noise is worth it. I keep mine in the garage in the winter plugged in and use the top protectant spray that porsche sells. It beads almost anything off. Best of luck
Old 03-08-2017, 08:37 PM
vman932
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

The cab also gets points for practicality due to it's increased cargo capacity
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2017, 11:55 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vman932
The cab also gets points for practicality due to it's increased cargo capacity
LOL!
Old 03-10-2017, 09:15 AM
spur911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

In the end, it boils down to one thing, get what you like/want,,,, or in the long run you most likely won't be happy ,,,,,,, for me wind, noise, bugs in my teeth, a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen ,,,,, ))))))
Old 03-10-2017, 09:53 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

The dastardly deed is done! My new cab is on its way from sunny Calif to cold and wintery Chicago. My test drive produced the one criteria for buying the car which was an ear to ear grin on my face. Car is a hoot. Now I can start throwing money into a Porsche again.

Quick Reply: Major Decision - Cab or Coupe