Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Decision - Cab or Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 09:57 AM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Congrats! I have a 2011 TTS Cab, don't regret it a bit. I'm sure you won't either.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:14 PM
spur911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi
The dastardly deed is done! My new cab is on its way from sunny Calif to cold and wintery Chicago. My test drive produced the one criteria for buying the car which was an ear to ear grin on my face. Car is a hoot. Now I can start throwing money into a Porsche again.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:06 AM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 69 Posts

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy it for years to come.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:10 AM
turbofever
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenomore
^+1 - what does one thing have to do with the other? I'm not aware of any meaningful differences in performance between cab and coupe. I agree there are differences re aesthetics, but that's a personal preference thing.
It's extreme but I am factoring roll over situations.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:13 PM
triplenet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbofever
I was not a Cab fan initially.... But I really enjoy driving with the top down now ...

And the roll bar gives me a sense of security @ 145 MPH down the back straight at Sebring

Old 03-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I come from a car racing background and for years poo poo'd all cabs, for all the usual reasons...flex, resale, safety. I bought the 997TT cab because my wife thought it would be fun. I'm loving it. I've done Luguna Seca track days twice, as well as ACS Roval and it performed great. I drive it almost exclusively with the top down around town. I live in the Santa Monica Mtns about 45 minutes north of Los Angeles, where the weather is great, and that might be the difference.

As for resale...what sells for more, a 356 cab or coupe? What sells for more, a 67 Ferrari California Spyder or a 67 coupe? What sells for more, a 67 Corvette big block roadster or coupe? What sells for more, a 48 Buick Roadmaster or coupe? The reality is, coupe or cab, neither 997TT is an investment car. It's likely 20 years from a price value increasing trend, if ever.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:04 AM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig T.
I come from a car racing background and for years poo poo'd all cabs, for all the usual reasons...flex, resale, safety. I bought the 997TT cab because my wife thought it would be fun. I'm loving it. I've done Luguna Seca track days twice, as well as ACS Roval and it performed great. I drive it almost exclusively with the top down around town. I live in the Santa Monica Mtns about 45 minutes north of Los Angeles, where the weather is great, and that might be the difference.

As for resale...what sells for more, a 356 cab or coupe? What sells for more, a 67 Ferrari California Spyder or a 67 coupe? What sells for more, a 67 Corvette big block roadster or coupe? What sells for more, a 48 Buick Roadmaster or coupe? The reality is, coupe or cab, neither 997TT is an investment car. It's likely 20 years from a price value increasing trend, if ever.
As the old saying goes, when the top goes down, the price goes up. Having said that, over the 54 year span of the 911, that adage doesn't seem to apply, I think because of your background, racing, and it's influence on the marque.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:22 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by turbofever
As with our BMW 330 cab, the 997tt has roll over protection in the way of hydraulic rams that move vertically from the rear deck to provide rollover protection. I''ve seen pictures of extended rams on a number of cars, and they are substantial!
Old 03-17-2017, 12:11 PM
saudio
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cab for me all the way. I'll never own a hard top sports car again. And I actually prefer the looks of a cab over a coupe although I realize I'm in the minority.

Quick Reply: Major Decision - Cab or Coupe