Sponsored by:

Advice on best way to launch manual turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:34 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Advice on best way to launch manual turbo

Hey guys, new to the forum as I just recently purchased a gently used 2007 Full Techart package turbo. It has a custom tune in it by Mitch McKee out of Cobb Tuning putting out about 675hp and 700tq, tuned mainly for street driving. Has upgraded clutch, exhaust and suspension. It's currently under the knife with engine dropped as I only had it for 2 days and noticed coolant leaking under. They dropped the engine to figure out where it was coming from. Good news, the previous owner already had the coolant pipes pinned and welded and replaced plastic coolant pipes with Sharkwerk metal ones. Bad news is that whoever put the engine together didn't tighten or torque the bolts properly on the area where the oil cooler sits on top of the engine. So as you can imagine coolant was leaking out of that flange. Talk about frustration and the PPI didn't pick this up!!

Anyway to my original question. It's been a long time since I've driven a manual. Is there a recommendation on the best way to launch these to get the best 0-60 times. I've got a custom tune but not sure if these tunes have any sort of built in launch control for manual transmissions that allow you to build boost while revving.

Appreciate your advice, just nervous and don't want to tear anything up by experimenting the wrong way.

Thanks. By the way attaching picture of new car.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:10 PM
XPC5
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Cobb custom tunes can have boost off the line enabled. You can tell by putting the clutch in and flooring the throttle. If it is enabled, it will hold a preset rpm and start building boost. Ours is set for 4300rpm and about 3-4psi. It can be added after the fact. We tired about 7psi but it would spin the tires too much.

A good launch is 4000 rpm and some clutch slip. Much less than 4000rpm and you will bog. Have your hand on the shifter, 1st gear runs out fast.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:24 AM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks for the quick feedback. I had read that some tunes might have this. Was just nervous in flooring the gas pedal if it didn't and over revving. I'll check it out.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:26 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by XPC5
The Cobb custom tunes can have boost off the line enabled. You can tell by putting the clutch in and flooring the throttle. If it is enabled, it will hold a preset rpm and start building boost. Ours is set for 4300rpm and about 3-4psi. It can be added after the fact. We tired about 7psi but it would spin the tires too much.

A good launch is 4000 rpm and some clutch slip. Much less than 4000rpm and you will bog. Have your hand on the shifter, 1st gear runs out fast.
Where's the demonstration???

Perfect execution
Old 02-23-2017, 10:30 PM
TurnOne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven manual cars all my life and I have found that AWD, Manual & Turbo makes for tricky launches. Hard to do it right. Easy to bog down or worse yet, too much throttle/boost/power and you smoke the clutch.

Get it just right and you'll be smiling for days thinking about it.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:40 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by XPC5

what do you launch at stock?
Old 03-03-2017, 08:24 PM
Yogi911
Racer

For the cobb "launch control" / BOTL they want you to be catless fwiw because it is very hard on catalytic converters. So if you aren't catless you probably dont have it in your tune.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:51 AM
turbofever
Banned

Simple I never launch in first gear roll the power On in second.

My rear end steps out with 325 sections... I do not feel there is a need to launch in first the gear is very short and it makes me feel like it's just abuse

I will be installing gt2 turbochargers on my turbo in about a week and can report back if other want more power with oem direct bolt on capability

Quick Reply: Advice on best way to launch manual turbo