Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1tt not starting after suddenly stalling. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 02:19 PM
altesporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an update for anyone in the future who should have a similar issue. ill post if the following fixes it when i get the car back.

Thank for the posts fellas ! really appreciate it !

its helped me bark in the right direction to find the coil fuse blowing instantly telling me there is a wiring issue (not as likely as a coil issue) This would make sense as when the issue happened i had just had a car wash and drove around a bit.

Toronto uses a lot of salt on the roads and my car sits for 4 plus weeks when im over seas every other month. The porsche coils are known to crack and cause issues and when i had my engine out I replaced my coils with (performance high output coils) lol from a reputable aftermarket, but they looked like repotted factory ones that may have been reworked for higher discharge (possibly quickening the issue of the coil jackets failing)

this is my hypothesis after following all of what has been said here and Rennlist minus a few things that are unlikely as the car will not start and ive had a good source of power going to it to try and start the car and still no go.

After seeing the dropped voltage to the fuel pumps and no pressure at the fuel pumps its telling me they are getting not enough voltage to prime up even though i hear stuff going on up front, its not the sound of a fuel pump priming.
I have changed the fuel pump, I have reflashed to factory tune to eliminate possible but unlikely immobiliser issue.

so here we are at the coil possibly shorting out and back feeding the circuit with voltage causing all of the erratic problems and this would likely have the effect of the bogging and misfiring i had in the minute before the car died. The car ran like a champ just before the carwash, then after the carwash to my house, switched off then 15min later the car ran like dirt and stalled and didnt go again.. now we have the 15amp coil fuse popping instantly when i put it in and turn the key and injector below lower value limit (meaning none of them are cycling) and all 6 are unlikely to go at once.

ive seen this type of thing in other sensors before jsut never a coil, usually a coil goes dead and you get a misfire, but i have been told by 3 or 4 different people that its a strong possibility and given the symptoms i cannot disagree. ive just ordered 6 coils (updated beru ones because of the cracking issue) and now trying to get my god damn car out of my parking garage lol so i can get it towed to my mechanic to swap the coils as i cannot do it here in my condo parking as ive already gotten a $500 fine for "working on my car" lol (i hate car elevators and the city of toronto and their stupid bylaws)

Ill post when i get these swapped and see if it sorts the issue.. its going to be a costly hunch, but i dont know where to go from here.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:26 PM
altesporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update for anyone who would like to know what happened.

it was a coil cracked and shorted out inside back feeding the circuit and popping fuses and causing a host of issues.

I had bought aftermarket coils when i had my engine out two years ago.. apparently they were not so great despite the high cost and the reputable name. anyways swapped all coils out for the new uprated Porsche Beru units, the molded body is much larger than the original units and apparently not prone to cracking like the original Porsche units.

so now the car is alive again, reflashed to my UMW tune and new GT2 intercoolers installed while i was at it.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:34 AM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by altesporsche
Update for anyone who would like to know what happened.

it was a coil cracked and shorted out inside back feeding the circuit and popping fuses and causing a host of issues.

I had bought aftermarket coils when i had my engine out two years ago.. apparently they were not so great despite the high cost and the reputable name. anyways swapped all coils out for the new uprated Porsche Beru units, the molded body is much larger than the original units and apparently not prone to cracking like the original Porsche units.

so now the car is alive again, reflashed to my UMW tune and new GT2 intercoolers installed while i was at it.
Thanks for posting your findings... will likely help others. Nice work.

DC

Quick Reply: 997.1tt not starting after suddenly stalling. HELP