Sponsored by:

New member, looking for some info

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Mike Ferlito
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, looking for some info

Looking to buy a 07 911 turbo, 8,000 mile car looking for any info I should know about this model car. I have read about the water pump coolant tubes coming loose, is this a big problem ? related to miles ? hard use or what ?
The car has been stored in climate controlled environment and looks just like new.
Only services has been once a year oil changes. Still has original tries with "0" cracking
Thanks For any input
Thanks Mike
Old 02-11-2017, 12:55 AM
makoshark72
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You can google many reviews on the car from when it was introduced and later...

Asking price?
Photos?
Option list?

need more info to make an informed guess...
Old 02-11-2017, 01:56 AM
Mike Ferlito
AutoX

$77,000
8000 miles
Atlas Gray, steel blue shade actually, over black leather interior. Tiptronic, Heated seats, Sport Chrono, remote CD, Tiptronic gate in leather, Instrument surround in leather, Adaptive Sport seats, and Thicker steering wheel in leather. All are factory options, sticker was $132,225 . This car is 100% original, stock except for the radio. The head unit has been upgraded to an Alpine for better sound and control and includes bluetooth phone and audio, backup camera, navigation, hands-free phone and HD FM as well as Satellite radio. This is a totally reversible installation, no wires cut, stock amp and speakers are retained. Original factory radio in perfect condition comes with the car as does a Porsche silver car cover. Also built in is a K40 radar detector. its non-smoking interior smells rich with the Porsche leather. No curb rash, tires have more than 1/2 tread remaining. The TPMS sensors which tend to lose battery life at this point have all been changed recently.

Hope this works
Thanks For your help, we are going back to look at the car this weekend, any hints on things to look at or for

Old 02-11-2017, 03:16 AM
bruni911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice
it should have had plug service and the brake flush.
My car has 12000 miles it's a 08 and it's had 3 brake flush and 1 plug changes from Porsche all ready.
The previous owner was right on with the service.
Not sure it needed.

Love that colour.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:48 AM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have an 07 that I acquired with 8k miles 2 years ago. A common tiptronic issue is a leaking gasket btwn the transmission and transfer case. Mine just started to drip a week ago at 24k miles.
If you can drop the shield take a look up in there.

I think the tires are shot at this point and aren't safe. If you press on the rubber it will be pretty hard.

BTW....Great looking car!!!
Old 02-11-2017, 03:54 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, 10 yr old tires gotta go.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:40 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

though I have not yet taken delivery of my 08 cab, I have done a lot of research/reading on the two issues that were identified for these cars. One was the "spun" cam issue. The second one was the coolant tubes that you inquired about.

For the coolant tubes, it "appears" that cars subject to failure of the epoxy that seals in the tubes are those that see severe thermal cycling of the engine. In poraticular, this would be a car used for track events where it can get very hot and then gets shut down. The thermal expansion/contraction cycles and their severity appears to be the culprit that breaks the "glue" bond. If you develop this condition, you will have to remove the engine in order to gain access to the leaking tubes. The tubes can either be welded in place, or the tubes can be staked so that they do not move in or out of the manifold. The labor to get to the leaking tubes is a killer. I've heard estimates for this repaint in the range of $3000 to $7000. It's a lot of money. But, there apparently is no way out of the dilemma.

The second issue is "spun" camshafts. This is not a spun bearing as I would have thought in hearing the terminology. But, what it is, is the slight rotation of a pressed in tubing peied that is inserted into the end of the camshafts. Its a press fit, and with enough temperature, the piece becomes loose in its bore and will rotate. When it rotates, then the holes in the camshaft and the pressed in piece no longer line up which presents pressure oil from making its way from camshaft to the vary cam solenoid. Not a destroyed engine, but you effectively have made it difficult or impossible for the cams to rotate to benefit
Old 02-11-2017, 08:30 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

My understanding is that coolant pipes and camshafts can be an issue for any car, not just beat up track rats. People have posted their lower-miles street cars suffering from those things as well.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:32 PM
Mike Ferlito
AutoX

Thanks for info, what is the cost to take care of the leak ?
Does this model have the water tube leak issue at the water pumps
Thanks For All The input
Mike
Old 02-11-2017, 10:40 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

My indy does the coolant pipe fix (welding in the SharkWerks pipes) for just under $3000, if I remember right. You can of course pay more, and I remember one guy on 6speed paid like $8000 and then implied anyone who paid less was a fool who didn't have it done the right way like he did , but that sounds pretty excessive to me.

Last edited by Skwerl; 02-11-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:05 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts

My advice is to buy this car ASAP and drive the bloody heck out of it!!! You have one of the lowest mileage 997 Turbo's around. Be sure to start putting LOTS of miles on that puppy.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:36 PM
Mike Ferlito
AutoX

Default reply

Thanks, I think that is our plan
Need wheels and tires first
Old 02-12-2017, 02:55 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Does he still have original radio? If you end up keeping the car long term I'd try to pick one up and store it in the garage somewhere. Well honestly, I'd put the factory radio back, haha, but that's just me.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:46 PM
Mike Ferlito
AutoX

Originally Posted by snaphappy
Does he still have original radio? If you end up keeping the car long term I'd try to pick one up and store it in the garage somewhere. Well honestly, I'd put the factory radio back, haha, but that's just me.
If we get the car the factory radio comes with it, we drove the car to day and it is a 2016 new 07 smells and feels new.
Thanks everyone for info
Mike
Old 02-13-2017, 03:15 PM
AlexluvsTTs
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
My indy does the coolant pipe fix (welding in the SharkWerks pipes) for just under $3000, if I remember right. You can of course pay more, and I remember one guy on 6speed paid like $8000 and then implied anyone who paid less was a fool who didn't have it done the right way like he did , but that sounds pretty excessive to me.
I had this done as well on my '07 @ 90,000 Kms, 2 years ago. It started off as a very minor leak when it was stored for the winter but when I pressure tested the coolant system that spring, it became quite apparent that it would soon "blow". My indy charged me about $7K cdn but I had bunch of other "while you're in there" items that were addressed.

And YA, you need to put on some serious mileage.....Enjoy!

Quick Reply: New member, looking for some info