Sponsored by:

Help with a daily driver...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 07:21 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Help with a daily driver...

I need some input from you guys on a new daily driver. I got my 07 Turbo a couple years ago and it made my then daily driver, CTSV Wagon 6speed, feel redundant. I also needed something with better snow performance so I sold it. Fast forward about 18 months and I am driving a used Subaru Outback and hate it. Wanted to sell it after about a week.

I am looking for something fun to drive, AWD, practical (i.e. hatch, SUV or wagon), preferably manual, 4 door that I can take my child, go skiing, biking etc. Want to spend 40k or less. I drove a Macan S and was not really that impressed for the price of 65 k. Drove nice for a CUV but brakes were horrible and it was quite small in the back. Drove a Cayenne Turbo which was very nice but just don't really want to spend that kind of money (especially used without warranty) for a daily driver type, plus I would like something more "under the radar" to drive to work.

It seems the only thing that is really fitting my needs is a VW Golf R. It is a bit "younger" in its styling and a little smaller then I would like. Am I missing something else out there? Any input or experience would be apreciated.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:58 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

F10 535i xdrive?
Old 02-08-2017, 09:38 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 253 Posts

One option would be to consider a low mileage BMW X3. Get the 6 cylinder 35i with M sport package, Paddle shifters, 300HP with 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. Plenty of room with good AWD performance. I bought mine new for the same price as a four year old Cayenne GTS that I made an offer on. I'm glad the offer was too late as I really enjoy the X3.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:12 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackJunke
I need some input from you guys on a new daily driver. I got my 07 Turbo a couple years ago and it made my then daily driver, CTSV Wagon 6speed, feel redundant. I also needed something with better snow performance so I sold it. Fast forward about 18 months and I am driving a used Subaru Outback and hate it. Wanted to sell it after about a week.

I am looking for something fun to drive, AWD, practical (i.e. hatch, SUV or wagon), preferably manual, 4 door that I can take my child, go skiing, biking etc. Want to spend 40k or less. I drove a Macan S and was not really that impressed for the price of 65 k. Drove nice for a CUV but brakes were horrible and it was quite small in the back. Drove a Cayenne Turbo which was very nice but just don't really want to spend that kind of money (especially used without warranty) for a daily driver type, plus I would like something more "under the radar" to drive to work.

It seems the only thing that is really fitting my needs is a VW Golf R. It is a bit "younger" in its styling and a little smaller then I would like. Am I missing something else out there? Any input or experience would be apreciated.
I had a similar decision to make as you. I have an 08 997TT that I do not daily, and was shopping around for daily drivers that had 4WD and practicality, with enough amenities for a comfortable commute. I ended up first with a 2015 Tundra and now a 2017 Tacoma. A pickup truck may not be your thing, but for me it checks all the boxes. I can carry all sorts of things in the bed for recreation, long trips or hauling stuff to the dump or from the hardware/lawn care store, I can fit the whole family, and it has all the luxuries of a nice SUV. My Tundra was just a bit too big (and I didn't help things by lifting it) and terrible with gas mileage, but the interior had leather, nav, bluetooth, dual zone climate, good sound system, heated seats, basically everything you'd want in a nice SUV. I kept a tonneau cover on the back so it had a "clean" look to it as well and functioned as a gigantic trunk. I recently downsized to a Tacoma, because rarely did I need that much space and never did I need to tow (I don't have a boat or trailer or anything), and the Tacoma is a bit sportier, a lot more nimble. I also got a 6sp manual but that may not be most people's preference in a daily.

I looked at some of the same cars you mentioned. I knew I didn't really want a sedan, because it wouldn't have enough utility. I found the Golf R and other sport hatches to be too "young" just like you, and I found small SUVs (CUVs I guess) to be not really good at anything. Too small on the inside, but too high a center of gravity to be really sporty. I strongly considered a Cayenne GTS or Turbo, but like you, they are more than I wanted to spend for a newish one. I looked at the Lexus GX but it was a bit too soccer-momish, and the X5 as well. Also considered a Jeep SRT8. The short list came down to something like a '11 Cayenne S or a new truck. I narrowed it down to a pickup for the supreme versatility that a truck can provide and the fact that Toyota trucks are dead-nuts reliable and have excellent resale. The Cayenne is more of a fun vehicle for sure, but I just didn't want to deal with the potential for expensive service on TWO out of warranty Porsches. It's nice to have a truck, and these days they have all the bells and whistles inside that a luxury SUV would have and with a comfortable ride to boot.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:09 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input everyone.

Vbb, I have considered the Tacoma (specifically the 6 speed like you) but have not actually got around to test driving one so maybe I should. I have never been a "truck guy" as I prefer the more nimble handling and performance of a wagon/car but maybe I will surprise myself. The resale value and reliability are nice selling points as well.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:28 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Wife bought gl550, great truck for dd, look for a cpo, lots of torque!!! Wife needs lots of power for her commute to the hospital! LOL!
Old 02-08-2017, 01:46 PM
kchu221
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about a Mitsubishi Evolution X or Subaru WRX STI?
Old 02-08-2017, 03:04 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Ruled those out due to sedan body and need a more refined ride to keep wife/kid happy. Good cars just not what I need.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:51 PM
Southpaw
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Audi A6 avant

https://www.autoevolution.com/cars/a...20-tfsi-180-hp
Old 02-08-2017, 06:29 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

When I faced a similar decision, I bought a truck. It's a GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab. I specifically chose a truck with limited options, because I don't want to worry about it the same way that I worry about our nicer cars. It's AWD/4WD, it has the off-road package and a few other things, but that's it. I don't care if my dog gets in the back of the truck with muddy paws. The GMC truck has been great, and I have had no issues with it. I bought it new for roughly $40K. The downside is that it's huge, and parking is sometimes difficult. Other than that, I'm happy with the choice.

In the past, I owned an Audi Allroad. I would seriously consider buying another one, or an A6 Avant as mentioned above. The current Allroad is based on the A4 platform.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:28 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Too bad you ruled out a CTT, they are a GREAT DD! I've got 55K on mine without a single problem.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Not the Golf R. The narrow V6 is not the best engine.

I had a 2002 Golf TDI 2 door. While not AWD with the proper tires -- actually the Michelin MXV4 tires that came "standard" -- the thing was great in the snow. However, to be *safe* I'd advise you to fit real snow tires.

If you go VW and you don't go TDi, and I am not sure I would now, the GTI turbo-charged engine is the best engine.

Or you can look into a used Lexus LX470. A family member just picked up a used one. Pretty nice vehicle if one needs an SUV. Lots of room for adults, kids, and their toys.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:28 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

E63AMG Wagon...It will solve all your problems!
of course ,debadged. I will post pix when I can.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:31 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackJunke
Thanks for the input everyone.

Vbb, I have considered the Tacoma (specifically the 6 speed like you) but have not actually got around to test driving one so maybe I should. I have never been a "truck guy" as I prefer the more nimble handling and performance of a wagon/car but maybe I will surprise myself. The resale value and reliability are nice selling points as well.
Test drive it just to be sure. I think you'll like it. No, it won't take corners like a sport sedan, but I think you'll find it surprisingly more nimble than you were expecting and a heck of a lot more useful overall. I have had sedans in my day, but have to say, trucks have all the amenities of all but your most luxurious sedans and tons more utility. I'd not want to have a truck as my only vehicle, but it is the perfect compliment to having a sports car in the garage.

Then again, I've had a soft spot for the Tacoma ever since the first Back to the Future came out and Marty McFly got that black one, so that's going back what, 32 years?
Old 02-09-2017, 09:54 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
E63AMG Wagon...It will solve all your problems!
of course ,debadged. I will post pix when I can.
THIS!

Badass cars

Quick Reply: Help with a daily driver...