Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new (to me) 997TT!! (and a small review of my dealer experience)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 08:11 AM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

not trying to be a jerk but if it was such a bad ordeal why buy the car, there are a ton of 997TT's for sale. you have no one to blame but yourself but hopefully it will be a great car and you enjoy it

life is to short, good luck
Old 02-05-2017, 08:51 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad you got it. I would not go near a dealership that acted this way.

On the records/clutch: how do you know they even did anything? If you were in the building, why didn't you leave with service records in hand? They could have redacted the name easily on a copier or something.

The deck lid to me looks like a fiberglass 996 GT2 style piece. Interesting if has a spot for the fan but no fan installed. I would at least correct that. Did they give you the whole original deck lid or just the spoiler blade?

I think you need to have the car inspected at a good Porsche shop in Germany, hopefully they will be plentiful. Did you ever get a PPI done in Houston?

Congrats and I hope the problems are over, I would just make sure of it.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:56 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I really think the rear deck lid needs to be addressed due to improper cooling. Probably not there due to fitment problems since it's not a turbo or GT2 lid. Also the entire harness is missing so its probably recoded to remove wing and third light
Old 02-05-2017, 01:02 PM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by estrellajon
I really think the rear deck lid needs to be addressed due to improper cooling. Probably not there due to fitment problems since it's not a turbo or GT2 lid. Also the entire harness is missing so its probably recoded to remove wing and third light
It's not recoded to remove the wing and third light. I get the wing control malfunction warning at 75mph+ and the raised brake light warning when I first start the car, so I need to have the car coded and buy the harness for the brake light if I choose to keep this wing. Side note (since I was going to post a thread asking this question anways) does anyone know what part number wiring harness I need to successfully run this spoiler and not get the 3rd brake light warning? I do know that the spoiler control warning needs to be coded out.

I think I found the spoiler that is on the car. After doing some Ebay searching, this is what I came up with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162055553838...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's by D2S and looks identical. It's also for sale on carid.com
Old 02-05-2017, 01:44 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat3d M
It's not recoded to remove the wing and third light. I get the wing control malfunction warning at 75mph+ and the raised brake light warning when I first start the car, so I need to have the car coded and buy the harness for the brake light if I choose to keep this wing.
You sir certainly put up with a lot on this purchase.. I could overlook some cosmetic flaws, but no way I'd take delivery of a car that gave me warning lights every time I started/drove it.. to me that just speaks to a sloppy install.. buts thats just me..
Old 02-05-2017, 02:42 PM
cakM3
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I tend to agree with saabin when he said seems to speak of a sloppy install... you need to get those warning lights addressed. You shouldn't be having them on a car of this level. As nice as your wing looks on your car I can't help think that this wing is more for non-turbo cars. For one thing you don't have any cooling fan installed and no proper ducting for your intake... be careful regarding any potential overheating issues to your engine you may end up experiencing using this setup... I myself would be wary...
Old 02-05-2017, 08:01 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats on the car, you're a better man than me I would've walked away from that dealer.
Re the wing, looks to be a agency power version, not the best. I'd put the stock lid and spoiler on pronto with fan. That's a huge problem, you'll overheat in traffic. If you keep it and mount a fan, you'll need the aerokit harness.
Good luck!
C
Old 02-05-2017, 11:59 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Congrats on the car, you're a better man than me I would've walked away from that dealer.
Re the wing, looks to be a agency power version, not the best. I'd put the stock lid and spoiler on pronto with fan. That's a huge problem, you'll overheat in traffic. If you keep it and mount a fan, you'll need the aerokit harness.
Good luck!
C
I doubt the fan will fit in a 997TT if not centered and both ducts will not line up if that particular wing is used. You need to source either a true GT2 or Turbo wing designed for a 997 turbo. No way around it. Someone just slapped that wrong wing on there and didn't care what critical components required to safely run and cool the motor.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:26 AM
TurnOne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So many red flags. Before and during the sale. Lack of records of service work. I sure hope the car is as good as you hope it is.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:01 AM
shaunt
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First let me say I think the car looks great and I hope it brings you many years of joy.

I also bought my latest Porsche from 360 but was lucky enough to deal with Chris form the beginning and had a really smooth transaction. Bought the car without flying out to see it and have been very happy.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:35 AM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shaunt
First let me say I think the car looks great and I hope it brings you many years of joy.

I also bought my latest Porsche from 360 but was lucky enough to deal with Chris form the beginning and had a really smooth transaction. Bought the car without flying out to see it and have been very happy.
That's great to hear. 360 has nothing but good reviews, so I honestly can't understand why I was treated so unfairly. James just isn't a personable person I guess. He definitely has an "I hate my job" attitude about him with everything he does. Chris on the other hand seems like a genuinely nice guy and I don't see him wanting to rip anyone off. Hopefully he pulls through with the service records this week. If not, I have a lot of upcoming maintenance to do.

Quick Reply: My new (to me) 997TT!! (and a small review of my dealer experience)