Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post storage startup

Old 01-29-2017, 06:43 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Post storage startup

I bought my 997.1 turbo in January and put it directly into storage. On my 993 when I took it out of storage, I always pulled the fuel pump relay so I could crank it over a few times to build oil pressure. Then placed it back into place and started it. Is there a similar procedure or process I should follow with the 997 turbo come April when I pull it out of storage?

Last edited by ble2011; 01-29-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:30 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Startup after Storage

This may be controversial, but I don't do anything to a car when I bring it out after 4-5 months of operation other than fit it with a fully charged battery. During storage, engine oil will not degrade. Nor will it run off of or out of any engine components. What is important is the fuel system. Gasoline degrades with time unless it is preserved with a product like Stabile which you should put into a tank prior to storage. Add the Stabil to the tank when you last fill it up with fresh gasoline and then drive the car for a mile or so to assure yourself that the Stabile has mixed properly with all fuel in the car and in the fuel system.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:59 PM
bgrpph
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

for 997.1TT fuel pump shut off- pull fuses D1-D2 in drivers footwell
Old 01-29-2017, 10:57 PM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm probably going to pull fuse D1 to crank to get some oil pressure built up before giving it a full start after sitting for 4 - 5 months.

I did start it up for a minute after sitting unused for about a month as it had to be moved forward after rolling back slightly too close to the garage door, on startup it sounded ok with no low oil pressure rattle.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:12 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

What's the difference between D1 and D2? Are these dual fuel pumps or?
Old 01-31-2017, 12:01 AM
Dodaleca
Racer

Generic 997.2 fuse block drawing and photo I saw online showed 25A fuel pump fuse in D1 with D2 blank.

Haven't looked at my 997.2TT yet to see if mine actually looks like the web info.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:18 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

997.1TT has dual fuel pumps in an integrated unit but each runs off its own 25A fuse.

Trending Topics

Old 02-01-2017, 11:51 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodaleca
I'm probably going to pull fuse D1 to crank to get some oil pressure built up before giving it a full start after sitting for 4 - 5 months.

I did start it up for a minute after sitting unused for about a month as it had to be moved forward after rolling back slightly too close to the garage door, on startup it sounded ok with no low oil pressure rattle.
The problem is the starter turns the engine over so slowly (IIRC around 75RPMs) the gear pump is ineffective at slow speeds. One reason why the idle speed is where it at around 740 is instead of lower.

About all you will accomplish is squeezing out from the bearings any residual oil that is sufficient to protect against metal to metal contact at a normal start in which the engine fires right up and the RPMs rise to around nearly 2K or so for a moment before falling back to around 1K.

This is on purpose. One reason is with the higher engine speed the residual oil will form a hydrodynamic bearing which then protects against metal to metal contact. Another reason is the quick rise in RPMS gets the gear oil pump working and shoots oil to all the bearings.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:49 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
The problem is the starter turns the engine over so slowly (IIRC around 75RPMs) the gear pump is ineffective at slow speeds. One reason why the idle speed is where it at around 740 is instead of lower.

About all you will accomplish is squeezing out from the bearings any residual oil that is sufficient to protect against metal to metal contact at a normal start in which the engine fires right up and the RPMs rise to around nearly 2K or so for a moment before falling back to around 1K.

This is on purpose. One reason is with the higher engine speed the residual oil will form a hydrodynamic bearing which then protects against metal to metal contact. Another reason is the quick rise in RPMS gets the gear oil pump working and shoots oil to all the bearings.
On my 993, I could watch the oil pressure gauge move up a few bars when I cranked it over a few times with the fuel relay pulled. It sounds like your saying it's not going to do this if I pull the fuse(s) and crank a few times before startup (after storage) on the 997? Or, it's not going to make that much of a difference so don't bother.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:07 PM
Dodaleca
Racer

Originally Posted by Macster

I also thought that the 3.8DFI turbo engine had some sort of electric oil pumps (as well as mechanical or electric only?) so I wanted to dig into that a bit more to see if these would generate pressure while cranking.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:20 PM
Dodaleca
Racer

Definately crank (?) chain driven mechanical pump there, maybe I'm thinking of electric scavenging pumps to pull oil out to send to the sump?
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2017, 05:47 AM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to clarify:
- Just pull fuse D1 and D2 and turn the key?
- For how long?
- Don't touch the gas pedal right? Guess with the fuel pump disabled it doesn't matter anyway.

/Darius
Old 04-07-2017, 10:30 AM
Dodaleca
Racer

Originally Posted by El Dario Loco
Just to clarify:
- Just pull fuse D1 and D2 and turn the key?
- For how long?
- Don't touch the gas pedal right? Guess with the fuel pump disabled it doesn't matter anyway.

/Darius
I assume you would crank it long enough to see the oil pressure come up to some level and stay there on the gauge. At that point put D1/D2 25A fuses back in and go for a real start.

The theory is the engine gets prelubed before having to see any high loads and temperatures due to combustion.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:36 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

I pull both fuel pump fuses and turn it over for ~10seconds when I pull it out of storage and after an oil change. I no longer get a low oil pressure message anymore when I start the car after storage or oil change.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:59 PM
strato58
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts

I never get a low oil pressure message and I dont pull the fuses.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Post storage startup