Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The best value of water cooled turbos

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 03:57 AM
Emmasdream
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually have a pretty detailed analysis of the trends between MT vs Tip vs 08 vs 09 vs mileage vs cost taken over the past 7 months of the market. If folks are interested, I can make a new post to share. Only downside is they are all only cabs . (That's what I was looking for).

The reason I haven't yet is because I was worried about moving the market since it's such a small community.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:05 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Post away!
Old 01-16-2017, 01:45 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by johnbelk
My hypothesis is the value of manual 997s will decline as younger owners are able to afford PDK versions of the 997.2.
I wonder, though, if the 997's PDK technology will eventually be seen as outdated as newer, faster, better PDKs come out. Sort of like early 2000s Aston/Ferrari/Lambo automated clutches are seen now. Plus, off warranty I'd think PDKs will be more expensive and complicated (and thus scary) to service when compared to the straightforward and universally understood 6MT setup.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:46 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Getrag 6MT for long term appreciation, great tranny
Old 01-16-2017, 04:19 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I've never been a big believer in the argument that manuals are going to become less sought after because young people prefer an automatic. The buyers of classic sports cars are generally enthusiasts and as such are generally looking for a different experience. There are also a limited amount of manuals made and there are still lots of young enthusiasts who like manuals. Finally, there is Europe -- try to find a lot of drivers over there who prefer automatics.

No doubt the number of young drivers who know how to drive a manual is declining but there will always be drivers who prefer the more engaged experience of driving a manual and with the number of new cars available with a manual very small (at least outside of Europe) I think the supply / demand equilibrium will always be such that 3 pedals will be sought after.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:22 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skwerl
I wonder, though, if the 997's PDK technology will eventually be seen as outdated as newer, faster, better PDKs come out. Sort of like early 2000s Aston/Ferrari/Lambo automated clutches are seen now. Plus, off warranty I'd think PDKs will be more expensive and complicated (and thus scary) to service when compared to the straightforward and universally understood 6MT setup.
The various factors you listed above, along with the other Rennlister's is what makes this an interesting activity to follow. I'm interested in following the continued descending of 997.2 TT PDK values and the potential ascending of 997.1 TT Six-Speeds and at what origin (values cross) the price point will be for both.
Regardless, I'm going to drive what I love. Now how long I'll keep it, will just depend on the next one I fall in love with... However, knowing market value trends can influence my decision, for example...newer 991s are off the list...for me personally I try to avoid significant depreciation. JB

Last edited by johnbelk; 01-16-2017 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Stuff
Old 01-18-2017, 09:06 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

oh boy, the tools in the 996tt forum are butthurt now. They are crying all over their ugly dated interiors.

That said, this end of an era crap has got to end.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:40 AM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
The earlier versions of the Ferrari Lambo etc are just plain ****. Also the PDK is not serviceable but pretty bulletproof. Seems you have to be doing something catastrophic to get it break.

The PDK was nearly perfection when offered in the 997.2. I have both the 997.2 the 991 and what is improved is the "interface"...meaning some intangibles of the driver's connection when flipping the paddles. In terms of shift speed, zero difference. Some people have been fooled into thinking the 991 shifts faster but it doesn't. Porsche simply changed how quick the rpms drop in upshift to make it seem like it shifts faster. When at WOT, I can tell you that the shift on both 997.2 and 991 are seemless and nearly imperceptible. Launch control? Only some of the early 2010's came without it. Avoid those. I just out launched a 918 by a couple cars (twice in a row) on my 997.2 at my last airstrip event. Got it on vid. Both cars on street tires. So from a performance perspective, the newer PDK don't have much incremental improvement except certain interface intangibles and perhaps slightly improved power ratings as power goes up on the newer 991s.

Cheers.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:39 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

I thought the 991 GT3 RS had "pdk S" or something that made it different/better than all the others.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:22 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

I agree that PDK was pretty much a winner from day 1, unlike so many other first-gen dual-clutch-electronic-shift gearboxes... Most were pretty abysmal for street driving. The PDK is awesome on the track as well as the street, though much enhanced with paddles instead of buttons and Sport-Chrono software.

Biggest potential issues with future-values of pdk equiped cars IMHO are:
  • Not having Sport-Plus (sport-chrono option) software. Resolvable by adding the software on 7.2 gen cars, but unfortunately software can't be added on 991 gen cars, which (for me at least) significantly reduces the value of pdk, non-SC 991's. Not a big issue for 7.2TT's as you can add the software for $1K or so.

• Potential repair/replacement costs of PDK gearboxes when we start seeing high mile examples... I don't know that this is going to be a big issue. There aren't many 100K+ mile PDK cars out there right now for a data. Most info to date shows that if there are issues, the PDK is non-servicable with $7K+ parts and the cost of labor for replacement.

I think the potential for higher future value in MT cars is more due to the scarcity than any deficiency in PDK. Not sure what the ratio was on 997.2's, but new 911's are about 85% PDK.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:27 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
oh boy, the tools in the 996tt forum are butthurt now. They are crying all over their ugly dated interiors.

That said, this end of an era crap has got to end.
Yeah, I saw that, unfortunately all true. No matter the model, the 996 will always be the red headed stepchild of the Porsche family.
Yes, the 991 gt3 pdk s is slightly different.

Quick Reply: The best value of water cooled turbos