Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad experience with dealership, not sure what to think at this point..?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 05:09 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Out of curiosity are you 17 years old?
Old 01-15-2017, 08:28 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It does sound like it but maximum 20s maybe? 90 % of my cars are out of state purchase. Not that hard to schedule a PPI then arrange Payment. By the 2nd or 3rd day, my car is on the transporter.

If I were the dealer, I would also be hesitant since I don't want to receive rolls of quarter as payment :-p
Old 01-15-2017, 10:02 PM
PABers
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have bought quite a few high end cars out of state (just bought another Porsche yesterday out of state!), and if there is any inkling at all of a shady deal I walk immediately. To me it isn't worth my time or effort to fly or drive a long distance for nothing.

Agree with others; for a car that old you are buying the previous owner(s) not the car. If the guy was not wiling to put in a new clutch then what else did he skimp on? Did you have someone independent perform a PPI?
Old 01-16-2017, 06:04 AM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by estrellajon
If I was a seller, any interest outside of the country is a red flag. I will never sell to anyone prolonging the sale to next month, counting pennies for a down payment.
I am out of the country because I am in the Military. I'm a US citizen and am stationed in Germany. I am also flying into Texas to close the deal in person and shipping the car back on my own. There is nothing wrong with an out of country sale. Are you the type of person that thinks all Muslims are terrorists and that every buyer from out of the country is a scammer wanting to send a personal check for $10k above the asking price? Seems a little closed-minded and presumptuous of you.

I also don't think I was "counting pennies for a down payment". I had a maximum amount I wanted to finance going into this, and I have a certain amount that I made from the sale of my M3. I decided long ago before I even sold my M3 that when it sold, I was only going to use my predetermined finance amount, plus whatever money I made on the sale of the car, plus whatever else I saved between the time I sell my M3 and the time I buy a new car, and that I wasn't going to tap into other sources of equity nor am I going to go above my predetermined finance amount. I actually hadn't intended to buy another car this soon (I just sold the M3 a couple weeks ago). I was in the market for a Gallardo and this particular 911 caught my eye. After I sold the M3 and negotiated with the seller of the 911, I wasn't far off, hence why I asked the seller to hold the car for a month to allow me to put a little more money into the 911 pot. The seller was 100% okay with this, and I only asked him to do this when he illustrated how little of a hurry the owner was in to sell.

I'm not sure how my personal financial status is relevant or any of anyone's business, but there is my reasoning on why I asked the seller to hold it for a month. I can assure you I wasn't "counting pennies" and if you were attempting to cast aspersions on my character by insinuating that I can't afford the car, well you are sadly mistaken.

Originally Posted by eddielasvegas
Sounds like the OP has broken the first rule of car buying: Do not get emotionally attached until you own the car.
I will admit, I did fall in love with the car, and I wouldn't have gone through this much trouble if it wasn't for the car itself being exactly what I want and right where I need it to be as far as my budget goes. I was ready to walk at one point, and actually did, but changed my mind when I figured I could make it work assuming the seller was willing to hold the car for a month (see above).

Originally Posted by Alan A
He's buying the car.
Fell in love sight unseen and now no matter what happens he will buy it. More angst than the twilight series until he does, but he will be buying it.

Hopefully it'll turn out well. Or at least ok.
If not then as others already said, next time buy the seller not the car.
Yes, I am buying the car. Technically I already bought the car, even before I posted this thread. You seem very upset about that for some reason. I'm sorry that I didn't take everyone's advice, but I can make my own decisions. I'm not a child, nor do I belong to anyone on here.

At this point I feel more at peace and comfortable with the decision than I did when I first posted this thread. People can armchair quarterback my decision all day long, but in the end, it's my money, my car, and my decision and no one else in here has been through the negotiation/buying process on this deal like I have, so it's my gut and my gut alone that can tell me that I'm making the right choice. Not you, or anyone else. I asked for advice and opinions, and had the dealership kept stringing me along up until now like they were at the time I made this thread, I likely would have taken the advice given. In fact, I even sent them an email explaining I was walking in 24 hours if they didn't comply, and they are now working with me as a result of that, so what reason do I have for walking from the deal at this point, especially after what my "third party" saw when he went into their shop?

Originally Posted by fosbibr
Out of curiosity are you 17 years old?
Wow, you're good. How could you tell?

It does sound like it but maximum 20s maybe? 90 % of my cars are out of state purchase. Not that hard to schedule a PPI then arrange Payment. By the 2nd or 3rd day, my car is on the transporter.
I'm 32, but again, how is that relevant? Oh wait, it isn't.

Originally Posted by PABers
I have bought quite a few high end cars out of state (just bought another Porsche yesterday out of state!), and if there is any inkling at all of a shady deal I walk immediately. To me it isn't worth my time or effort to fly or drive a long distance for nothing.

Agree with others; for a car that old you are buying the previous owner(s) not the car. If the guy was not wiling to put in a new clutch then what else did he skimp on? Did you have someone independent perform a PPI?
Ill say it one last time for clarity: When I originally entered this deal, they were very accommodating. Yes, they pissed me off a little when they raised the price on the car which was the first sign of trouble with the deal, but I chose to follow through with it because I was buying the car, not the seller. I've done hours of research on the history of the car, and all of my findings have lead me to discern that I am buying a well maintained, clean, tastefully modded example of a 997TT that has everything I want, and that should need nothing in the way of maintenance for quite some time.

The car was never the issue, it was the dealership. After finally getting the documents and photos I needed, and sending someone in to check the place out, who reported back that they were the exact opposite of what they were showing me over email/phone, I decided that I felt comfortable enough with the deal to follow through with it. I can't make excuses for them and I won't try to understand why they *appeared* to be jerking me around for so long. Maybe they didn't trust me because I was out of the country? After all, the documents I was requesting had personal information of the current owner of the car, who happens to be a good friend of the owner of Boost Logic and 360 Exotics. I can see why they might be wary of sending me a copy of the Title, but in the end, they did. I can only assume, but at the end of the day, I'm buying the car, not the dealership or the people that work there. I can deal with one frustrating transaction in order to get the car I want. I'll have the car for years, the buying experience is only lasting a couple of weeks

Last edited by Rat3d M; 01-16-2017 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:01 AM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Got it. Sounds like you're almost there in closing the deal. Post pics on delivery.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:45 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

OP-thanks for your service. If this ends well for you, the odds were against it. Post pics when you get this thing in your hands.

Again, I'm grateful for your service!
Old 01-16-2017, 10:29 AM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Got it. Sounds like you're almost there in closing the deal. Post pics on delivery.
I will certainly post pictures at the beginning of February when I go pick up the car. I plan to take several during my couple days I'll be spending with it to get me through the long 6-8 weeks while it's in transit

Originally Posted by Domer911
OP-thanks for your service. If this ends well for you, the odds were against it. Post pics when you get this thing in your hands.

Again, I'm grateful for your service!
No problem. I don't hear that much being over in Germany.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:08 AM
C's Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

She's going back to the Motherland?? Please take her on the Autobahn for all us. Sooo jealous!!
Old 01-16-2017, 01:16 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts

Great set of replies. Sounds like you're in a good position now and I've been wher you've been. I've tried to buy a car before from a dealer that seems to be jerking me around and others said to walk, but I bought the "car that I wanted", and not the dealer, and it did work out.

And for some of the seemingly rude responses you got on this thread, it is what is it. Some people have a sarcastic sense of humor or can't deal with any level of BS in a car buying situation so they assume no one else should either. Take it all with a grain of salt, which it looks like you have. Or, they can simply seem annoying/mean spirited to you but they're just crusty old bast*** sometimes. It's Rennlist, 98% of it is kind. 2% can be judgmental and crusty. You take the good with the bad.

SO CURIOUS as to what color combo, condition and what features you'll end up with. You're in the home stretch with this now. I bought a 993 long distance from car dealer (not a Porsche dealer), sight unseen before (in Chicago and I live in Maryland). It needed a clutch, and some other stuff. The salesman seemed slick, and I had my doubts with this car. In the end, I definitely bought the car, not the dealer. That was my opinion of the whole thing. It worked out great and I kept it 12 glorious years.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:14 PM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C's Turbo
She's going back to the Motherland?? Please take her on the Autobahn for all us. Sooo jealous!!
Definitely! Germany is the only place I would own a car like this. I dread the day I have to go back to the US. I'm not a big track rat, but I will probably take it on the Nurburgring and Hockenheimring at least once like I did the M3.

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Great set of replies. Sounds like you're in a good position now and I've been wher you've been. I've tried to buy a car before from a dealer that seems to be jerking me around and others said to walk, but I bought the "car that I wanted", and not the dealer, and it did work out.

And for some of the seemingly rude responses you got on this thread, it is what is it. Some people have a sarcastic sense of humor or can't deal with any level of BS in a car buying situation so they assume no one else should either. Take it all with a grain of salt, which it looks like you have. Or, they can simply seem annoying/mean spirited to you but they're just crusty old bast*** sometimes. It's Rennlist, 98% of it is kind. 2% can be judgmental and crusty. You take the good with the bad.

SO CURIOUS as to what color combo, condition and what features you'll end up with. You're in the home stretch with this now. I bought a 993 long distance from car dealer (not a Porsche dealer), sight unseen before (in Chicago and I live in Maryland). It needed a clutch, and some other stuff. The salesman seemed slick, and I had my doubts with this car. In the end, I definitely bought the car, not the dealer. That was my opinion of the whole thing. It worked out great and I kept it 12 glorious years.
Thanks for the kind words, and sensible post. I've spent years on many online forums (more hours than I want to admit). I have over 1500 posts in 2 years on m3post.com. I'm no stranger to online forums and how they work, and if there is one thing I've learned over the years, it's that everyone on these forums is a keyboard warrior and you really do need thick skin to get by. I don't let the negativity bother me. It's the same thing everywhere you go. If anything I find it amusing, which is why I even take the time to entertain it and respond.

I know it'll all work out. I am 100% certain that I will be happy. It just sucks I have to wait another 2 weeks before I even fly in to buy it, then I have to wait another 6-8 weeks to get it home.

Regarding the details of the car, it's a 2007 in 6sp manual, black interior, GT Silver Metallic exterior, about 49k miles on the clock and it reportedly just had a ton of maintenance done (water pump, belts, brakes, spark plugs, coils, fluids, etc.) plus they are putting in a Sach's 2.5 clutch kit for me. I won't disclose the price I paid, but I will say it's listed on their site for $69900 and I got it for a very good price. It has some aftermarket mods, which I know turn some people off (I get it, some people are purists) but the mods don't bother me, and they are all tasteful mods that I would want to do myself, so it saves me money in the long run. I am the type of guy that can't let a car sit stock. I already have a list of things that I want to do to the car and I don't even have it yet.

Here is a quick picture from their listing. The wheels don't come with it at the price I paid (I am getting the stock wheels, but will probably do some OZ Ultraleggera HLT's in black or powdercoat the OEM wheels gloss black)

Name:  221297-1024x695.jpeg
Views: 480
Size:  127.8 KB
Old 01-16-2017, 03:34 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts

Gorgeous and in the best color combo of all time, silver/blk. Not that's what I'm talkin' about!
Old 01-16-2017, 05:45 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Good deal for all the stuff that's been done . Plus the mods you mentioned. Sachs 2.5 is awesome especially on moded car
Old 01-16-2017, 09:39 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats! Def hit the ring in a the turbo!
The turbo will be right at home in the fatherland (typically motherland implies Russia). You'll have a blast. Is there a way to bypass tuv regs re some of the mods since you're importing a us car?
Thanx for your service (former usn here).
C

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 01-16-2017 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 01-16-2017, 10:04 PM
strato58
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts

Amazing all the folks on this thread that mocked this guy. Pretty opinionated bunch this Porsche crowd.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:12 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by strato58
Amazing all the folks on this thread that mocked this guy. Pretty opinionated bunch this Porsche crowd.
If the deal happens, and I don't think we can count those chickens quite yet, he has defied the odds. He came on here seeking opinions. That's what he got. No need to criticize, it's not like this is a political discussion, right?

Quick Reply: Bad experience with dealership, not sure what to think at this point..?