997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FORGED WHEEL QUESTION: WHAT WOULD YOU PAY

Old 01-12-2017, 03:25 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

only thing that keeps me from HRE is price. and the monkeys are getting a little old, like me
Old 01-12-2017, 05:41 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics
Well, just doing some investigative work at this moment, we have two companies that we have currently been working with each over 10-yeras, we never openly promoted forged wheels, however we wanted to do something new this year hence the break into the Forged wheel market pricing on this post.

One of our suppliers is an over-seas supplier so the blanks are brought in and custom cut here, while the others are built here in the USA. The obvious is going to be the price difference (USA built being of a better quality thus more expensive).

We are also considering offering both options out.

Keep you posted sir, we are still debating ourselves, but we also are working to try and get a solid warranty as well...
That's great...providing your customers with options and being transparent at the same time, enhances trust. Understanding that some customers will never venture on to the track, and are only looking for a paticular style with the expectations of road safety is important. As is, making it known that a paticular wheel is not designed for track purposes...
The warranty topic is an important one, but clearly the application and honoring even more so... Sounds like you folks are really doing your homework.
I'd be in the $1000.00 (+/- $200.00) a forged wheel range...maybe more, depending on your competitors price.
Thanks! JB

Last edited by johnbelk; 01-12-2017 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Stuf
Old 01-12-2017, 10:35 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would seriously consider $3000-$4000 range for a set. Anything more, you would be in the same range as the rest with more price competition. In addition, wheel widths such as 9" and 12" will generate more interest. At least my interest :-)

When are you expecting models to come out?
Old 01-13-2017, 12:23 AM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

We are hoping to launch right off in the $750/range per wheel 19", this will include custom builds to your liking from 19x8" up to 19x11.5" we will be built to your order in a time frame of 6-8 weeks, however we are waiting to confirm details on final cost before releasing styles and other color options which will be included in the build.

We can't say that the prices won't go up over time, but this is a price that we feel will encourage many to consider us when making your next wheel selection.

Once again thank you for your input, we hope to have something nice in the near future as a new option for some of you.

In addition we will need a few feature vehicles (preferable modified ie body kits) that we can use for photos and the buyer will receive a discount up to $300-500 off their set. (we will offer this out for a lucky few)

We are also working on a solid warranty so that it will cover the original buyer against workmanship, but keep in mind that accident damages or modifications beyond factory finishes will not be covered.

Thank you again for your ears and in-put, we hope to release more information very soon, we hope to bring in the first couple of sets by March 1, 2017!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2017, 02:00 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I think $750/wheel is an excellent number if it offers weight savings and is just as durable as Porsche OEM BBS wheels. Time will tell and reputation gets built with product performance.

Nicely priced at cheaper than used BBSs E88s but more expensive than used Fiskes and stock Porsche OEM BBSs.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:00 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Originally Posted by Domer911
only thing that keeps me from HRE is price. and the monkeys are getting a little old, like me

"I dont like smart-butt monkeys, get off my damn lawn and stop throwing that silly fooball near my Porsche!!!

"Sir, actually, it's a common mistake in commercials, films, and books that chimpanzees are often erroneously called monkeys. While related to monkeys, chimps aren’t actually monkeys at all. Instead, they’re part of a completely separate group of primates known as the great apes. No offence taken....as I can relate, getting old sucks."
Old 01-14-2017, 08:14 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Yesterday evening I spoke with a Wheel Dynamics representatives for nearly an hour and while it's not my place to provide details of their upcoming offers, I'm confident that you'll know exactly what you're buying and where it was manufactured. I was very impressed (hard to do), with their company's history and business plan.
I will share that those of you with C/Ls wheels like myself; those wheels will continue to be manufactured in the U.S. at a slightly higher cost than the 5 lug. However, their C/L wheels are and will be less expensive than their high-end competition.
At the end, the Wheel Dynamics representative's knowledge, experience and transparency was refreshing. JB
Old 01-14-2017, 11:07 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

Hey guys. I would feel comfortable paying what Vorsteiner is charging for their new FORGED wheels which is $3700 shipped.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5705/3...10e9d606_c.jpg
Old 01-18-2017, 06:54 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ruskiy
Hey guys. I would feel comfortable paying what Vorsteiner is charging for their new FORGED wheels which is $3700 shipped.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5705/3...10e9d606_c.jpg

We were quoted the following today for their forged line at $1,671 EACH ($6,684/set) for 19" per their sales representative, this includes the VFN-501 through VFN-510.

It may be possible that your quote may have been for their Flow-Forged wheel lines.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:24 AM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

Very possible. I knew it seemed like a really good deal, I guess too good to be true.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:52 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ruskiy
Very possible. I knew it seemed like a really good deal, I guess too good to be true.
We thought so also, that is why we called to confirm the prices you listed, they are not for their FORGED wheels.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:12 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699
Vendors should consider making a track specific wheel...

Worry less about looks, and more about hardiness and price...

There is a untapped market for a less expensive, heavy duty, track wheel for 911 cars, and newer...

Some nice heavy duty spokes, less machining time, and lower price...
It costs the same to produce (machine time/materials) to produce an aesthetically pleasing wheel as it does to produce a less desirable one... give or take a few dollars...
Old 01-21-2017, 08:57 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry guys but I wouldn't pay anything north of 2k for any wheel set.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:14 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics
FORGED WHEEL QUESTION: WHAT WOULD YOU PAY
From a company like BBS I would pay a lot. From some unknown company I would pay zero until they were track proven with several years and thousands of miles of track use without failure.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:19 PM
johnbelk
Pro

The question should be : How much would you pay for a wheel that meets or exceeds OEM specifications? I cannot imagine a $500.00 to $800.00 wheel would do so, maybe I'm wrong. These cars are capable of nearly 200 MPH and tremendous cornering and braking capabilities, and I'd be very concerned not knowing what a wheel's limit's were. Aggressively, pushing a car into a turn, braking and then accellerating is not the time for a wheel failure. Unless, someone is just a "look at my pretty wheels" person and never plans to track or push the car's limits, I'd be concerned.
This post is not pointed at Wheel Dynamics or any others...just my own opinion. I'd need to know a wheel had a long proven safety record, before buying it, at least for one of these beasts.

Last edited by johnbelk; 01-21-2017 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Stuff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FORGED WHEEL QUESTION: WHAT WOULD YOU PAY