Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 07:03 PM
clb00196
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

Well I need some thoughts on an extended warranty that I purchased and now I am having second thoughts. I bought Delta Auto Protect and it was $5,200 for 4 years and 40k miles which ever comes first. I have come to find out that this warranty company was formerly known as Direct Auto Buy Warranty. So now I feel that after reading the comments that I am not sure this is a good extended warranty. My car is a 2007 Porsche 997 Turbo with 72,000 miles and the warranty company makes you put 300 miles on your car and a waiting period of 30 days prior to being able to use it. A few things stick out that make me feel that weird about the company. One they make you take a picture of your odometer to show that your mileage is under 74k and also picture of your vin #. Also a picture of your registration. After you clock 300 miles on your car then you submit another picture of your odometer. I have $0 deductible which is pretty odd. So please if anyone has any info on this company let me know as they were the only one to offer me a warranty for my car which is by far the most oddest part considering that I figured no one would offer me one. They do offer a 30 day back full money back ...
Old 12-31-2016, 12:09 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Actually, not terrible considering miles/age.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:44 PM
squiderm3
4th Gear

Originally Posted by clb00196
Well I need some thoughts on an extended warranty that I purchased and now I am having second thoughts. I bought Delta Auto Protect and it was $5,200 for 4 years and 40k miles which ever comes first. I have come to find out that this warranty company was formerly known as Direct Auto Buy Warranty. So now I feel that after reading the comments that I am not sure this is a good extended warranty. My car is a 2007 Porsche 997 Turbo with 72,000 miles and the warranty company makes you put 300 miles on your car and a waiting period of 30 days prior to being able to use it. A few things stick out that make me feel that weird about the company. One they make you take a picture of your odometer to show that your mileage is under 74k and also picture of your vin #. Also a picture of your registration. After you clock 300 miles on your car then you submit another picture of your odometer. I have $0 deductible which is pretty odd. So please if anyone has any info on this company let me know as they were the only one to offer me a warranty for my car which is by far the most oddest part considering that I figured no one would offer me one. They do offer a 30 day back full money back ...
I'm not sure if you're having second thoughts on the company which you have purchased the extended warranty from or just purchasing the extended warranty itself but let me share my story with you. I purchased my first Porsche in May of 2016. A 2010 Turbo Cab with 35000 kms WITH extended warranty. The car was in great shape and I did as much homework and pre purchase checks I believed I could possibly do but wanted the peace of mind that only a warranty can provide. Ended up taking the car home and drove it for the summer and it was great, drove nice and tight. Right around September, after only driving it 3500kms (I know, embarrassingly low, but I work out of town and only get to drive it on the weekends), the car developed a knocking noise which was very faint at first but got progressively worse. I decided to take the car in for the end of season oil change before parking it for the winter and had the service technician at the Porsche dealership check into the cause of the knocking. They pulled the oil filter out and discovered bits of metal ranging in different sizes. This of course was concerning and with the authorization of the extended warranty company, was able to take apart the motor for a full investigation. They found the #4 cylinder scored and decided a new cylinder block was the best course of action. A complete engine rebuild and $30000 later, with only $300 out of my pocket for the deductible, the car was returned to me. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet as I live in Canada under a blanket of snow but spring can't come fast enough to try out the 'new' engine.

Again, if you're having second thoughts on the purchase of any extended warranty, I can truly say without hesitation that I would never purchase a pre owned vehicle, especially with high service costs such as a Porsche without it.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:16 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've told my warranty story b4. Car bought from reputable out of town high end dealer, clean ppi, clean post delivery inspection, etc. I decided to get an aftermarket drivetrain only warranty thru dealer, $1900, 2 yrs 24k mi $100 deductable, etc. Couple of months in, needed a complete tranny rebuild, PWI covered the whole thing (21k, dealer markup to the max), I'm convinced the monkeys in the hospital parking garage trashed it but that's another story, I had the pipes etc pinned, that I paid separately. Well worth it, I'd never bought one b4, just nervous w out of town purchase.....
Old 12-31-2016, 02:48 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Squid, that's the first major engine repair I've read/heard about with the DFI engine..I've heard of borescoring on some of the 997 engines that lived in cold climates before, but never on the turbos..

Regarding the warranty, my fidelity policy will almost pay for itself with my first and only claim so far.. a new instrument cluster because of some dead pixels.

The cars are generally pretty reliable but all it usually takes is a singe claim to break even..
Old 12-31-2016, 04:27 PM
strato58
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts

I think the op's fear is the the warranty company itself and not the idea of a warranty. Has anyone dealt with this company before?
Old 12-31-2016, 04:36 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
Squid, that's the first major engine repair I've read/heard about with the DFI engine..I've heard of borescoring on some of the 997 engines that lived in cold climates before, but never on the turbos..

Regarding the warranty, my fidelity policy will almost pay for itself with my first and only claim so far.. a new instrument cluster because of some dead pixels.

The cars are generally pretty reliable but all it usually takes is a singe claim to break even..
A friend of mine had his 2012 4GTS engine replaced this year with 25,000 km
Head and camshaft problem
Old 12-31-2016, 04:54 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I see nothing wrong with their requests for photos...It's the process of claims I'd be concerned with. Under their new company name they look to have very good reviews...I think you are ok. Just make sure to read and understand your contract, keep up with all scheduled maintenance and you should be fine.

I would not hesitate to do business with them.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:16 PM
squiderm3
4th Gear

Originally Posted by saabin

From doing my homework on 997's I didn't think that it would have been the problem neither but my car is living proof otherwise. I mentioned to the technician the same thing and his reply was that bore scoring could theoretically happen on ANY engine.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:40 PM
clb00196
Instructor

Hello,

i need to clarify why i orgibally posted this in the first place. For one I couldn't find any companyird to warranty my car which is 9 years old. Also my main concern is that the company I bought is really good or is it going to be a pain in the *** to deal with . I called my 2 main mechanics and both were very hesitant to deal with extended warranty companies as they promise the world and end up trying to fight every claim. So this really my ma in concern. I have had extended warranties for other cars and was lucky since I bought them through dealers and it was all good. The fact this company has history of being on under another name makes me nervous as well but this was the only company again who offered an extended warranty

QUOTE=squiderm3;13848238]I'm not sure if you're having second thoughts on the company which you have purchased the extended warranty from or just purchasing the extended warranty itself but let me share my story with you. I purchased my first Porsche in May of 2016. A 2010 Turbo Cab with 35000 kms WITH extended warranty. The car was in great shape and I did as much homework and pre purchase checks I believed I could possibly do but wanted the peace of mind that only a warranty can provide. Ended up taking the car home and drove it for the summer and it was great, drove nice and tight. Right around September, after only driving it 3500kms (I know, embarrassingly low, but I work out of town and only get to drive it on the weekends), the car developed a knocking noise which was very faint at first but got progressively worse. I decided to take the car in for the end of season oil change before parking it for the winter and had the service technician at the Porsche dealership check into the cause of the knocking. They pulled the oil filter out and discovered bits of metal ranging in different sizes. This of course was concerning and with the authorization of the extended warranty company, was able to take apart the motor for a full investigation. They found the #4 cylinder scored and decided a new cylinder block was the best course of action. A complete engine rebuild and $30000 later, with only $300 out of my pocket for the deductible, the car was returned to me. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet as I live in Canada under a blanket of snow but spring can't come fast enough to try out the 'new' engine.

Again, if you're having second thoughts on the purchase of any extended warranty, I can truly say without hesitation that I would never purchase a pre owned vehicle, especially with high service costs such as a Porsche without it.

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-31-2016, 07:42 PM
rgraham997
5th Gear

I just purchased my first TT - a 2008 Cab 36k miles. Looking at aftermarket warranty options - any advice from others on companies they've had good luck with? Hopefully the forum will allow providers names to be posted in replies?
Old 01-01-2017, 03:48 PM
9114cab4me
Rennlist Member

Just my quick two cents worth...

1) On the surface, $5200 for 4year/40k $0 deductible for a 72k mile, 2007 turbo seems "reasonable". But it sounds like your concern is more about the company, not the $$.

2) Delta Auto Protect appears to have good ratings on the web, at least on one website... Who is the underwriting company of your policy and who is the administrator?

3) Warranties are only as good as the underwriting company AND the administrator. The administrating company is often times different from the underwriter, and ofter times different from the company that sells the warranties. We often hear about warranty claims being refused or filled with red tape and limitations. The administrating company is typically the one responsible for these issues. There job is to properly administrate for the underwriting companies and to ensure claims are valid.

4) I am a partial skeptic of extended warranties, but I have purchased several after doing my own research. I am not an expert in this area, but my homework guided me to make choices that I am comfortable with. The company I most recently purchased from is Carchex, the underwriter is Assurant, the administrator is Assurant for my policies. Just because you buy from a particular company does not mean you will get the same underwriter or administrator. I have also purchased from Fidelity but after seeing some of their online reviews I have not purchased from them again.

Cheers
Old 01-01-2017, 05:36 PM
clb00196
Instructor

There is no underwriter as they are not a broker. The company has been in business for 12 years. My main concern is that there is only a 30 day full money back guarantee and you have to wait 30 days to even file a claim so it's basically stupid in that sense. Also my other concern is when / if I use it the guy Keith told me they rather deal with dealerships as they are more trust worthy than an independent shop. So let's say my car is apart in the dealership and they call my warranty company and file a claim and the company is fighting with them. You think the dealer is going to fight? No either way they will get paid from me or them. I have had extended warranties but they were recommended by a dealership. This particular company called me after I put my info online looking for a quote for an extended warranty. They were the only one that offered such a warranty. Which to me is a bit odd as well.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:54 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Have you paid in full for the policy? And if so, by credit card or check? There is some chance of getting something back if all goes south on you at some point depending on your cc and/or bank relationship. Otherwise, check the BBB reviews, and maybe even ask the warranty company for any dealerships they work with in your area (Porsche or not). Then call those service managers.

I got toasted with Warranty Gold a long long time ago, so very skeptical as well (got some recovery through the courts on class action, and some recovery from credit card company)...so this time 'round I went with Fidelity. But if these guys have good ratings and other dealers can vouch, you may be ok.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-01-2017, 06:03 PM
clb00196
Instructor

I paid by Credit card . Also I contacted 3 dealerships and didn't get a return call from them about if they would take them or not. I spoke to my 2 main mechanics that I use for all my cars. One of them outright said he wouldn't deal with them. The other said he would but wouldn't fight them.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty