Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone running Ohlins R&T's

Just curious if you like the set up ..... Thanks
Old 11-23-2016, 03:18 AM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed Would love to hear some real-life experiences, especially for a non-track dedicated car.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:11 PM
Duckstu
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a set on the way.

A top suspension engineer is helping me out.

He works for an OEM during the day,... and led a factory LeMans effort a few years back. he also works as a consultant for various Sprint Car, USAAC, Silver Crown and NASCAR teams, and even built championship winning cars for the likes of Carl Edwards and Ryan Newman.

He looked into a number of the usual suspects,.. Penske, Moton, Bilstein, Ohlins, etc,.. and figured the Ohlins R&T was the best bet. (He likes the standard B16's,.. but not the Damptronic versions,.. which have way too much compression dampening). He is also a dealer for Bilstein, Ohlins and others. He doesn't like Moton and Penske for the street as their rebuild interval can be failry short. Bilstein and Ohlins have much better seals for that purpose he says.

He got Ohlins to pull a front and rear off the shelf and run them through their shock dyno and email him the plots. And then discuss with him their reasoning for the rates they chose.

At 17 clicks out,.. the plots were dead on his calculations (of 35 total).

He also dyno'd my stock PASM front struts (2007 997.1 Turbo), and found the compression dampening to be off the scale high. (In default mode with no controller wired up. That would be in the stiffest setting. They were way over 500 lbs at 10 psi. (Should be somewhere in the 200's for the 206 lb/in springs that come stock on the car).

The Ohlins R&T's are 400 lb/in on the front of the Turbo,.. and 360 lb/in on the front of Carreras. And the shock plots show comp dampening in the 300's (I forget the exact number).

Anyway,. the absurd comp rate of the stock front struts would explain why the car is skittish over bumps,.. and has under-steer on initial turn-in,.. while being fairly neutral mid--corner.

ANYWAY,.. they'll be on the car and scaled by mid week (June 1st, 2017).

I'll report my initial findings here,.. and also what I think after they've broken in a bit,.. and a month later after a couple of track days.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:31 PM
triplenet
Pro

BTW - been running them for several months now.... Rock solid .... Don't miss PASM at all ...
Old 05-26-2017, 05:53 PM
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by El Dario Loco
Subscribed Would love to hear some real-life experiences, especially for a non-track dedicated car.
I'd also like to hear some real world reviews from people who daily drive them on crap roads. The roads around Dallas are terrible, akin to the lunar surface.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:26 PM
triplenet
Pro

Originally Posted by 786
I'd also like to hear some real world reviews from people who daily drive them on crap roads. The roads around Dallas are terrible, akin to the lunar surface.
lots of adjustment ... you can dial them in as required...

I run Sebring which is a notoriously bumpy track - no issues... and I keep the same setting for my daily driving
Old 05-27-2017, 05:38 PM
Pro

ok good to know thanks. can you elaborate what your settings are?

also, does Ohlins have a recommended ride height for street use?
Old 05-27-2017, 06:05 PM
triplenet
Pro

Originally Posted by 786
ok good to know thanks. can you elaborate what your settings are?

also, does Ohlins have a recommended ride height for street use?
my wrench does all that... but there are so many click and adjustments that you will find the ride and height that works..

I have mine and low and tight...
Old 05-27-2017, 06:09 PM
Pro

lol k thanks.

i wouldn't want to take any functionality away due to lowering, hence the ride height question. ill email Ohlins
Old 05-27-2017, 08:47 PM
Duckstu
Rennlist Member

Ride height is done the correct way,.. with a threaded lower section that adjusts independantly from the spring. (So you're not changing the bump/droop ratio when you alter ride height).

To the best of my knowledge,.. a stock ride height is possible.

I wouldn't want the car lowered any more than 1/4". I don't want to tear up my front air dam.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:52 PM
Duckstu
Rennlist Member

First impressions,... = WOW !

I was expecting dramatically better handling and stability (haven't had a chance to really test that,.. but seems much nicer so far).

But I wasn't expecting such a big improvement in the ride quality. The ride quality IS MUCH IMPROVED. No giggling,... much less banging over bumps. And instead of riding like a clapped out Civic on $300 coilovers,.. it rides like you'd expect an exotic to ride. Slightly firm,.. but very composed,.. and never the least bit harsh.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:51 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Duckstu
First impressions,... = WOW !

I was expecting dramatically better handling and stability (haven't had a chance to really test that,.. but seems much nicer so far).

But I wasn't expecting such a big improvement in the ride quality. The ride quality IS MUCH IMPROVED. No giggling,... much less banging over bumps. And instead of riding like a clapped out Civic on $300 coilovers,.. it rides like you'd expect an exotic to ride. Slightly firm,.. but very composed,.. and never the least bit harsh.
haha nice, that sounds ideal.

Quick Reply: Anyone running Ohlins R&T's