Sponsored by:

no maf sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 09:42 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Default no maf sensors?

I recently got my 997tt car runs perfect. When I got the car I realized the air filters were not under the hood where they would be stock or with an aftermarket kit. So this past weekend I did plugs and coils because of a slight misfire under light load.

I found that they made intake pipes and ran them by the intercoolers, im guessing to not get "hot" air from the engine bay. I dont like the pipes they made so I ordered a new set up. My bigger issue is that I noticed that there where two plugs under the hood not plugged in. No check engine light. no codes stored. I figured out that they are for the mass air flow sensors.

How is this possible? Anyone ever see this?

Thanks
Old 10-23-2016, 10:13 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Pics would help, but you mention "air filters were not under the hood".. are you saying there is no long airbox? There is only one air filter, BTW with the stock setup..

Some tunes can omit the MAF sensors, do you know who tuned the car? A stock tune would for sure give you a CEL for a disconnected MAF sensor(s).

If it is the MAF sensor, one giveaway is the cable boot on the right (passenger) side MAF sensor is such that the cable is almost oriented in a U shape so the wires would be angled down toward the bottom of the car if it were plugged in.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:24 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by saabin
Pics would help, but you mention "air filters were not under the hood".. are you saying there is no long airbox? There is only one air filter, BTW with the stock setup..

Some tunes can omit the MAF sensors, do you know who tuned the car? A stock tune would for sure give you a CEL for a disconnected MAF sensor(s).

If it is the MAF sensor, one giveaway is the cable boot on the right (passenger) side MAF sensor is such that the cable is almost oriented in a U shape so the wires would be angled down toward the bottom of the car if it were plugged in.
Yes they ran the intake piping into the fender by the intercoolers on both sides

And yes the car is tuned I just dont know what tune they are running, From some searching there are some tunes that can run mafless which I have never seen before. Kind of had me confused.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:26 AM
ctony66
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As saabin said it is probably a mafless tune. If the car runs and idles good on it you can just leave like that. I tried a mafless tune and it started and idled funny so I went back to regular tune. Do you have a scanner that will tell you if the emissions are ready or not? That could be a problem with a tune like that if you need to have it inspected.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:30 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ctony66
As saabin said it is probably a mafless tune. If the car runs and idles good on it you can just leave like that. I tried a mafless tune and it started and idled funny so I went back to regular tune. Do you have a scanner that will tell you if the emissions are ready or not? That could be a problem with a tune like that if you need to have it inspected.

Yeah I checked the monitors with the scanner at my shop, the only one not ready is the cat monitor. No cats on the car.

I just have never seen a maf less set up and it really had me wondering lol

The car runs perfect, pulls hard. idle is smooth.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:42 AM
ctony66
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then I would leave it alone. There are tuners that say it's the wrong way but if you're happy with the way it runs then stick with it. The cat thing may be a problem come inspection time though. They let you have one not ready as long as it's not the cats and if you're not getting a cel for it that might mean it was turned off in the tune.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:47 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

yeah its tuned out. I have a place I deal with that can get me through inspection.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:24 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

Did you purchase the car out of state? Or without a pre-purchase inspection? Do you have the factory VNT turbochargers installed or were they removed? Was the car setup for E85?
Old 10-23-2016, 02:50 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevin
Did you purchase the car out of state? Or without a pre-purchase inspection? Do you have the factory VNT turbochargers installed or were they removed? Was the car setup for E85?
Yes I purchased the car out of state, I got it from Florida. No I did not get a PPI on the car but did get all the service records on the car. Always a risk without a ppi i know but since I own a shop all the work is done by my self.

The car still has the stock turbos and I dont believe it has been set up for e85

I know what normal maintenance has been done to the car oil changes fluids tires etc. but as far as aftermarket I didnt know until I got the car.

Intercoolers are much bigger than stock, air intakes have been changed. exhaust is aftermarket, looked for a brand but havent been able to see what brand it see. no mufflers or cats. Obviously its tuned running no mass air flow sensors or cats.

The car runs like a dream and has a lot of power.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:36 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a protomotive setup. We run a similar setup on a track/street 997. The mufflers on the exhaust is likely right behind the turbochargers and the x pipe has nothing on it. I have been extremely impressed with protomotive tuning ability and I have seen/used about everyone on the market.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:50 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 227 Posts

i run the protomotive tune with no MAF's .. runs great !
Old 10-24-2016, 08:30 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fishey
Sounds like a protomotive setup. We run a similar setup on a track/street 997. The mufflers on the exhaust is likely right behind the turbochargers and the x pipe has nothing on it. I have been extremely impressed with protomotive tuning ability and I have seen/used about everyone on the market.
Yes that is the exhaust that is on the car.

Have you run any other exhausts? I want to run the fab speed straight pipes do you think I should have the tune redone?
Old 10-24-2016, 11:26 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
Yes that is the exhaust that is on the car.

Have you run any other exhausts? I want to run the fab speed straight pipes do you think I should have the tune redone?
nope. no change in tuning for no mufflers . although you might not like the drone without them.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:34 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bigrpowr
nope. no change in tuning for no mufflers . although you might not like the drone without them.
yeah the car sounds good now. Just want a little more noise lol

If the drone is that bad ill just switch the exhaust back

Thanks for the info guys
Old 10-25-2016, 12:09 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
yeah the car sounds good now. Just want a little more noise lol

If the drone is that bad ill just switch the exhaust back

Thanks for the info guys
Strait pipes is not much louder at WOT but louder at idle and crusing. I would keep the protomotive setup if just a street car. I have strait pipes on my 996tt and it sounds good but for most it will be too loud.

Quick Reply: no maf sensors?